Tight-Lines

Marinated 13.34lbs of pork shoulder then slow cooked for eight hours in a water, jalapeno, garlic, leek broth. Soaked dried kidney and pinto beans in water for almost eight hours then rinsed and placed in boiling water until al dente. While the beans were cooking pulled the meat from the broth and cut the meat into chewable cubes as well as straining the broth to put just the broth on the side and in freezer for a future soup. Used some of the broth as a base for the chili by re-adding the meat, garbanzo beans, corn, minced garlic, jalapeno, new mexican hatched green chiles, tomato paste, salt, a chili seasoning packet and added the kidney and pinto beans after they were al dente and strained. Slow cooked for about three hours more and BLAMMO.....mmmmmm. Added cheese, tapatio, and sour cream with some sourdough to dip in it. Get some!

Loch, do you use crock pot for your broths? i just bought a tiny one, and i'm wanting to experiment. any tips on making broths/stocks?

yep yep, slow n low but that is for meat so don't know if you would want to do that with vegan stuff as the veggies would become mushy....hmmmmm, don't know if I can help. Tammy? Alanna?

Anytime I've made vegan or vegatarian soups I've gone more on the food processor/puree side.....

yep yep, slow n low but that is for meat so don't know if you would want to do that with vegan stuff as the veggies would become mushy....hmmmmm, don't know if I can help. Tammy? Alanna?

Anytime I've made vegan or vegatarian soups I've gone more on the food processor/puree side.....

that's a good point, though some stocks and skins would probably still hold up. i mainly bought the crock pot for fruit butters and jack fruit carnitas. yes, you read that right.

• 2 weeks later...

and i'm back! took a break from the internet for 10 days.

went to Gather for NYE, here's their menu:

Vegan “Charcuterie”

-Winter citrus carpaccio, shaved beets, olives, dill

-King Trumpet mushroom crudo, parsnip-pine nut-sea palm risotto, crispy parsnips

-Pan di Zucchero cotechino sausage, roasted roots, mustard, tarragon

-Braised endive, avocado, yuba, smoked aioli, toasted bread (this tasted like a blt, no joke!)

-Roasted Carnival squash, cashew-bayleaf-sunchoke sauce, smoked maple

Winter kales

Jerusalem artichokes, Brussels sprouts, sunchoke tahini,

grapefruit charmoula, almond “parmesan”

Tofu skin-Chanterelle Braciole

Hopi orange pumpkin, Porcini-braised Beluga lentils, cabernet, chestnut-Black Trumpet-truffle sauce

and then a cardamon chocolate ice cream sandwich with blood orang sorbet in the center. this was the best meal of my life.

Tonight's soup I made was spicy as all hell and next time will do less chili's but still good! Here were the ingredients:

-Pureed corn, jalapeno's, serrano pepper, shallots, garlic

-Sweated white onions in butter then reduced them in balsamic vinaigrette

-Poached purple cauliflower

-cooked cheese tortellini's in butter

-Then mixed it all together!

We all have colds right now so trying to sweat out this shit!