Tight-Lines

@tammy made some of her famous red velvet mini cupcakes (mini things always taste better for some reason) with cream cheese frosting. I got some in exchange for babysitting. I compare every red velvet cupcake to hers and have yet to try a better version. And no I'm not trying to get more cupcakes out of her. Although I wouldn't turn them down either.... @tammy maybe you should share your recipe?

i love cream cheese icing and so anything with cream cheese icing on it must be good, but alas i have not yet tried a delicate moist red velvet. they have all have been kinda dry!

Guy, i feel another cooking fit coming on! i think im going Ecuadorian style this time!! mmmmmmm.....just thinking of all the possibilites!!

i love cream cheese icing and so anything with cream cheese icing on it must be good, but alas i have not yet tried a delicate moist red velvet. they have all have been kinda dry!

Guy, i feel another cooking fit coming on! i think im going Ecuadorian style this time!! mmmmmmm.....just thinking of all the possibilites!!

this one is not dry at all.

Tammy's Red Velvet

redvelvet02-copy.jpg

While finding new innovative ways to make squash?

Im too hungover to think about squash.

Shes coming to Oakland on monday. I should have a shipment of squash for @MsRad if history repeats itself.

To keep with the thread though, I ate at the new Rudy's on telegraph by the fox theater last night. I had a burger but cant recall what it was because I was hammered. I know I had a laguanitas IPA there though.

my head hurts.

a vegan place that serves cheese? sounds like a totally modern southern style meal though, i swear ive got to make it to california sometime. it feels like the bay area has been calling me my whole life

for dinner i had bob evans; sausage, biscuits, eggs, hashbrowns, coffee and a snickerdoodle cookie.

Day before yesterday I had a weird urge to make a curry from scratch. I had a lot of time on my hands and I figured that seeing as I had the day off I might as well spend some time cooking a proper dinner for my other half, seeing as its usual me that benefits from her culinary skills (and rarely the other way around).

Anyway, I used a Jamie Oliver recipe. I find him increasingly annoying and implausible as a human being, but for some reason his recipes make sense to me whereas when I crack open practically every other cookbook I see something that baffles me.

Anyway -

'Peter's lamb curry'

(This is supposed to serve 8 according to the instructions. Perhaps 8 midgets or small children, but at any rate... I think more like 4-6 people. We froze the surplus)

GENERAL INGREDIENTS

2 tbs butter

2 14oz cans of chopped tomatoes

1 cup stock or water

3 1/2lb of lamb, diced

1 handful of chopped mint and cilantro/coriander

1 cup plain yogurt

salt and freshly ground pepper

lime juice to taste

FOR THE CURRY PASTE

2 inches fresh ginger, peeled

2 tennis-ball sized red onions, peeled

10 cloves garlic, peeled

2 fresh chillies, with seeds

1 bunch cilantro/coriander

FOR THE 'HOT AND FRAGRANT' SPICE RUB

2 tbs fennel seeds

2 tbs cummin seeds

2 tbs coriander seeds

1/2 tbs fenugreek seeds

1/2 tbs black peppercorns

1 clove

2 cardamom pods

1/2 a cinnamon stick

salt and freshly ground black pepper

Lightly toast all the ingredients for the rub in a pan over a gentle heat for the rub. Then I put it in a ziplock bag and smashed the hell out of it with a rolling pin to crush it up real fine. There may be a more intelligent way to do this, but I enjoyed the violence of it.

Preheat oven to 170 degrees (not sure what that is in farenheit). Chop the paste ingredients and add the rub powder. The recipe calls for adding the rub and paste ingredients to a food processor and making a puree. To be honest I just mashed it up a little following a fine chopping and chanced my arm with that, adding some oil and heating gently. Then 'In a large casserole dish, fry the curry paste mixture with the butter until golden, stirring regularly. Add tomatoes, stock or water and bring to the boil. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours to let the flavors intensify. This is the basic curry sauce'.

When the time has elapsed, the lamb is fried in olive oil and then basically you put that in with the curry sauce, mix, and allow it to simmer on a hot plate until the lamb is tender (an hour+ probably). Then to serve you mix a portion with the yoghurt, squeeze in some lime, chuck some coriander/cilantro and mint on top and serve with rice or naan bread.

Slow, but relatively painless.

Anyone got any other indian / curry recipes?

a vegan place that serves cheese? sounds like a totally modern southern style meal though, i swear ive got to make it to california sometime. it feels like the bay area has been calling me my whole life

for dinner i had bob evans; sausage, biscuits, eggs, hashbrowns, coffee and a snickerdoodle cookie.

I would ask @MsRad what they really use. And its true, you gotta make it out here. Vegan soul food... find me that somewhere else. (I know there prolly is but fuck it.)

it feels like the bay area has been calling me my whole life

Haha, I can totally identify with this, and I blame tattoos for half of it; the other half you can blame on Same Spade and my affinity for jackets. And that I can't turn around in NY without meeting someone from SF. Anyway, what's this thread about, squash and sausage?