Tight-Lines

I was in Pittsburgh, PA this week and ended up at a MEGA grocery store called "Giant Eagle Market District".

I think Giant Eagle is a chain, but Market District marks it as a more upscale Wegmans/Whole Foods kind of joint.

They had black truffles, and I mean pungent little fuckers, for $12 a pound.

In Philly, they're between $300 and $600 a pound. I shit you not. It must have been a mistake on their part.

That said, I picked up a handful of the som'bitches and packed em in rice for the ride back to Philly.

I also picked up a pound of python meat. Just cause... seriously... how can you not?

I made use of a few of the truffles tonight in a pork sausage. Porcini, Crimini and Black Truffle with majoram, black pepper and parsley.

I'm letting them air cure right now for the casings to tighten up a bit, but lordie-lou they're already nice and pungent with that amazing fungi odor.

I saved two truffles for either mac'n'cheese, deviled eggs or steak & foie gras.

I'm going to have my friend up there stalk the fungus section and if they stay $12/lb, have her stock up for me!

I was in Pittsburgh, PA this week and ended up at a MEGA grocery store called "Giant Eagle Market District".

I think Giant Eagle is a chain, but Market District marks it as a more upscale Wegmans/Whole Foods kind of joint.

They had black truffles, and I mean pungent little fuckers, for $12 a pound.

In Philly, they're between $300 and $600 a pound. I shit you not. It must have been a mistake on their part.

That said, I picked up a handful of the som'bitches and packed em in rice for the ride back to Philly.

I also picked up a pound of python meat. Just cause... seriously... how can you not?

I made use of a few of the truffles tonight in a pork sausage. Porcini, Crimini and Black Truffle with majoram, black pepper and parsley.

I'm letting them air cure right now for the casings to tighten up a bit, but lordie-lou they're already nice and pungent with that amazing fungi odor.

I saved two truffles for either mac'n'cheese, deviled eggs or steak & foie gras.

I'm going to have my friend up there stalk the fungus section and if they stay $12/lb, have her stock up for me!

How could you go wrong w/steak, foie gras AND truffles??! Unless you overcook the steak. Regardless, a divine way to start 2012 :D

How could you go wrong w/steak, foie gras AND truffles??! Unless you overcook the steak. Regardless, a divine way to start 2012 :D

I use the Morimoto method with steaks- I get a dry aged ribeye, put the cast iron skillet over a high flame and let it sit. And sit. And sit. Little oil (he uses rapeseed, I use whatever I have on hand) until it's smoking- then I cook it about two minutes on each side. Crispy on the outside, raw in the middle.