Tight-Lines

Shawn, are you participating in Charcutepalooza?

My neighbor writes a blog on food called Punk Domestics. He recently gave us some duck prosciutto he made; I was very happy to accept it.

I've seen the links for charcuteriepalooza, but have yet to actually follow through with it. So far everything they've done is something I had already done, so I'm biding my time until something fun comes along. (haha- Just checked- this month is brining! I guess I'm participating afterall!)

For a treat we love a good old Ruby Murry (curry).Widely accepted as the new national dish everyone here has their favourite curry house .Heres how we do it ;

mint sauce and mango chutney

spicy popadums

chicken korma -mild

lamb madras -hot

mushroom pilau rice

onion bahji

bombay potato

peshwari (fruit) naan bread

Washed down with a Cobra beer

baked potatoes are so awesome...i love to rub them with olive oil and kosher salt so the skin is tasty.

i used to have to go to outback steakhouse with coworkers and i would not eat the steaks because the quality wasn't great but instead would order a baked potato for lunch. it was like $2.50 and so good.

Yes I love ordering the Baked potato. I like to order something from the appetizers menu and baked potato. Makes for a great meal!!

I just started brining a cow's tongue on Wednesday. It'll take about five days in the brine before I can cook it. Same prep as a corned beef, then cooled and sliced on my deli slicer (seriously... every home should have one) and served as a sandwich. Little spicy mustard and you're set.

Once people get past the initial "ick" factor of organ meat... it's usually quite good.

So... five days later I cooked it.

Came out perfectly.

At first I was worried that using a store bought "pickling spice" would throw off the flavor. For the first few days it smelled way too much like clove and cinnamon. By the time I cooked it (with garlic, onions and carrots) everything blended together and it had that familiar corned beef taste with a slightly different texture. I did sour dough sandwiches with spicy mustard, and another round with cole slaw and russian dressing.

Now I'm itching to do a brisket.

baked potatoes are so awesome...i love to rub them with olive oil and kosher salt so the skin is tasty.

Tammy, when camping this past week, we threw about 25 potatoes wrapped in foil into the fire a wood burning stove. An hour later, I ate 3 or 4 of them. There were maybe 20 other things I could've eaten, but the fire baked potatoes were addicitive.

I just quick seared a 20 day dry aged ribeye. About a minute on each side. Rubbed it with Truffle Salt and a bit of cracked black pepper corn.

Put my cast iron skillet over high heat and let it sit till it was smoking. A drop of olive oil (Morimoto suggests grapeseed oil, but I was out) in the skillet until thats smoking too. Drop the steak in and it'll sear the top. Flip it to sear the bottom. Center is still perfectly raw.

Normally I'd have deglazed the pan with some wine and butter, but since I was eating it while sitting crosslegged on my bed watching Friday the 13th part six... I didn't think that level of Frou Frou was in order. :D

Tammy, when camping this past week, we threw about 25 potatoes wrapped in foil into the fire a wood burning stove. An hour later, I ate 3 or 4 of them. There were maybe 20 other things I could've eaten, but the fire baked potatoes were addicitive.
it is amazing how cooking things over wood makes such a difference in taste.
I just quick seared a 20 day dry aged ribeye. About a minute on each side. Rubbed it with Truffle Salt and a bit of cracked black pepper corn.

Put my cast iron skillet over high heat and let it sit till it was smoking. A drop of olive oil (Morimoto suggests grapeseed oil, but I was out) in the skillet until thats smoking too. Drop the steak in and it'll sear the top. Flip it to sear the bottom. Center is still perfectly raw.

Normally I'd have deglazed the pan with some wine and butter, but since I was eating it while sitting crosslegged on my bed watching Friday the 13th part six... I didn't think that level of Frou Frou was in order. :D

ribeyes are my fav...i love putting a coffee rub on them....i have truffle oil but not salt. will have to look into that.

ps. one of my favorite apps were these truffe deviled eggs...soo good.

it is amazing how cooking things over wood makes such a difference in taste.

buying myself a smoker for my bday last year was my best culinary idea ever. turns big, cheap and hearty cuts of meat into delectably tender smoky sweet heaven. so good!

even charcoal (which is primarily wood) imparts such a greater flavor than a traditional range or gas bbq in my opinion

buying myself a smoker for my bday last year was my best culinary idea ever. turns big, cheap and hearty cuts of meat into delectably tender smoky sweet heaven. so good!

even charcoal (which is primarily wood) imparts such a greater flavor than a traditional range or gas bbq in my opinion

totally...gas bbq are a short cut but produce and inferior product.

Curry makes the world go round! Specially a nice spicy one.

i recently made individual coconut chicken Curry pot pies with puff pastry on top. what a treat, they were so yummy!

also the other day i made the best stir fry i think i have ever made in my life! i used a whole bunch of veg i had in the fridge and chicken breast and for the sauce i followed a recipe i found on the back of a noodle package (believe it or not). mmmmm so good ive been eating it for the last 2 days!

at work my boss sent me this new recipe she wanted me to try for raw naniamo bars and i finished them today and cut them up. of course one of the perks of my job is that i get the scraps and let me tell you they were so much better than real naniamo bars. i was so tempted to eat a whole bar!! mmmmmm my mouth is watering just thinking about these awesome desserts!

I'm making mozzarella cheese tomorrow; as fate would have it I also have a few black truffles, so I'm thinking of incorporating them and creme fraiche into it; I've bought some in the past wrapped in leeks that mixed the truffles in with the creme but I'm not sure how I'm going to work it all out.

Been making 'old fashioned' (the drink) a lot lately... Well, not 'a lot' as in 'like an alcoholic' ... But I've made a few (err... I'll stop digging).

Anyway, this is the recipe I've been using, from a hotel bar I like-

1. Place napkin with sugar cube over glass.

2. Add 4 drops of angostura bitters to sugar cube and allow it to fall into glass.

3. Add a maraschino cherry and syrup (or just a teaspoon of cherry syrup), and muddle.

4. Add 3 cubes of ice and stir until melted. Repeat this three times (yep, 9 cubes), each time adding bourbon to taste. I usually add a double in total.

5. Add another cherry and a slice of orange and that's it...

Tonnes of different ways to make this drink but the above works for me. The ice cubes don't have to be totally melted, obviously - in fact if only half of them melt that's fine.

Bourbon wise I've been using Maker's Mark, but that's a base-line I wanted to try out. In future I'd like to try Knob Creek, Buffallo Trace etc.

I made some vegan cupcakes today... Ive got vegan friends coming over, and that's all they wanted.

They have a good consistency on the outside (Kinda crunchy) but the insides are pretty soft. What the fuck did I do wrong?

if the insides too soft maybe you didnt bake them long enough? did the top of the cupcake start to form a dimple when they cooled?

its hard to tell without seeing it! could be the wrong ratio of wet to dry ingrediants also(depends where the recipe came from)!

I've been on a chocolate spree this week!

on boxing day my friend brought me to the Lindt chocolate factory and i bought about 15KG of different kinds of chocolate! i dont mean the ones in boxes or the ones for eating this is the stuff for melting down and making truffles, using for baking and stuff.

so finally i decided to make truffles. i made a long list of flavours that i want to try and heres what i did:

white coconut ganache dipped in dark chocolate

dark chocolate with maple syrup, bacon and peanuts- i got some great feedback on this one

creme brulee filling dipped in white chocolate

mint jalapeno white chocolate ganache- i wanted it too be a bit spicy but it didnt work. i might have to use a different pepper next time

bailys liquor and dark chocolate

im trying to think up some other crazy combinations and if anyone has any ideas please share!!

Tonight I'm going to be cooking a silkie chicken.

http://static.mypetchicken.com/images/chickenPix/large/Studio_WSilkie_649_L.jpg with feathers.

http://polloplayer.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/2009_03_25-blackchicken.jpg without feathers.

I expect good things.

I also made some epically pungent pickled eggs tonight. Each jar topped with a hard boiled quail's egg.

My kitchen is very confusing tonight.

After over half a year of looking for Banyuls at a store I found it in person at a cheese specialty shop in SF. I fell in love with it at Baker and Banker in the city and we have used it the past two days at my house. If you've got recipes or have cooked using this pls share with me.......

It was pouring all day and so I was craving pho (a common association for me these days or dim sum with rain) and found this pho place online that only does delivery and pick-up so got it delivered. Put on the Rat Pack film from ninety-eight and opened the bag......hot damn! Double the normal portion, good priced, and six separate pieces of sour gummy candies(free score!)....and best of all now one of my favorite pho places! For those in the East Bay (Berkeley, Emeryville, Albany) they deliver, have vegetarian options for those that like that kind of thing, and they are Pho Me Now!!! Get some!