Upcoming Tattoos

CultExciter

Hey @dari, when do you start with Tim?

Already started, most of front of shin, a bit behind knee/little calf, and tail up thiegh, working around what's there. Tim's amazing, outline all done and at least 50% of stripes filled in with black. We would've most likely done more, but as soon as he said "We can be done whenever you'd like," I was pretty much done. I try not to tap out until they do! Next app't, Nov. 15th. But just know, it's going to be so awesome, it's going to piss you off. :)

Already started, most of front of shin, a bit behind knee/little calf, and tail up thiegh, working around what's there. Tim's amazing, outline all done and at least 50% of stripes filled in with black. We would've most likely done more, but as soon as he said "We can be done whenever you'd like," I was pretty much done. I try not to tap out until they do! Next app't, Nov. 15th. But just know, it's going to be so awesome, it's going to piss you off. :)

You'll only piss me off if you get two tigers that awesome. Wait, how many legs do you have?

Nice! What are you getting? I'm excited to go to his new studio up in Westchester.

i'm getting whatever he decides to give me... the only guidance i gave him was hannya and 3/4 sleeve. it goes without saying but i am very very very excited and happy to only have a ~2 month wait.

i'm getting whatever he decides to give me... the only guidance i gave him was hannya and 3/4 sleeve. it goes without saying but i am very very very excited and happy to only have a ~2 month wait.

Best of luck to Chris and all that, but it's kind of a bummer that he's moving to a private studio because I always really enjoy watching what he's tattooing when I'm at Saved. When I was getting tattooed by Hooper last week he finished up a bodysuit that he'd been working on for ten years. He was finishing the sleeves so I only saw the arms, but it was such beautiful work.

i was recently asked this question, so i thought i'd ask it here. How do you balance the desire to get tattooed by a bunch of different tattooers as opposed to getting stuff done by one person?

It’s really tough. Since last summer, I’ve been getting tattooed by dan santoro and I really like the continuity of the tattoos he’s done on me. on the flip side, there are so many amazing tattooers that I want to get tattooed by.

i was recently asked this question, so i thought i'd ask it here. How do you balance the desire to get tattooed by a bunch of different tattooers as opposed to getting stuff done by one person?

It’s really tough. Since last summer, I’ve been getting tattooed by dan santoro and I really like the continuity of the tattoos he’s done on me. on the flip side, there are so many amazing tattooers that I want to get tattooed by.

For me, it's never really been a question of getting all my tattoos done by one person. As much as I love the look of the coherent body suit, that just isn't for me.

I've also found that I'm not very good at having a "plan" for my tattoos and that there's a large amount of spontaneity there for me. For example, when I got that Ron Henry Wells skull on my inner bicep, I was planning on putting it on my leg somewhere but because during the summer/end of the summer when it's hot and humid at work my work boots tend to chafe my calves, I decided that it probably wasn't the best time to try to heal a tattoo on my leg...so it went on my arm and looks awesome.

For me, it's never really been a question of getting all my tattoos done by one person. As much as I love the look of the coherent body suit, that just isn't for me.

I've also found that I'm not very good at having a "plan" for my tattoos and that there's a large amount of spontaneity there for me. For example, when I got that Ron Henry Wells skull on my inner bicep, I was planning on putting it on my leg somewhere but because during the summer/end of the summer when it's hot and humid at work my work boots tend to chafe my calves, I decided that it probably wasn't the best time to try to heal a tattoo on my leg...so it went on my arm and looks awesome.

i want that look of a coherent body suit where everything is planned and meshes well, but i'm totally the same way. a lot of my tattoos haven't turned out how i planned they would i.e. size, some of the placement, things like that. that's one of the reasons why i want to get tattooed by one person. shit's hard to limit yourself to one though.

In a kind of roundabout response to your question, @Our Endless Days , I have often remarked that something I am learning as a tattoo enthusiast is how to look at and appreciate someone's work without, you know, NEEDING to get something from them. I feel like with instagram and other online resources, we can all get very kid in a candy store, and I personally don't have the time/energy/cash/space on my body to run out and get work from every single tattooer that I love. So I am learning to say, "So and so is amazing, but I will probably never get anything from them, and that's ok." Haha. (It helps being married to another tattoo nerd because I can live vicariously through him and it's like we have twice the space to work with. That sounds creepy, doesn't it?)

My own ongoing work is a combo of stuff from one person and one-offs from others. I am trying not to overthink it. I neither feel like I want to settle on one artist for everything, nor do I need to go nuts and fit as many awesome artists as possible on my skin (hence my discussion of letting go of all the possibilities above). I find myself returning to the artist I return to because I just connect with her work so profoundly that half the time I have a tattoo idea, it is obvious to me that she is the person to go to for it. But then when I want something else, I've been glad to mix it up a bit.

Something I find tough is that I am very sentimental by nature, and I have been lucky enough to have been tattooed exclusively by super nice, fun, awesome and talented people, so I get kind of bummed when I have a really great experience with someone who I likely won't get work from again.

(For example, I got an awesome tattoo from Marie Sena at the Montreal convention in September, and I looooove the tattoo, love her work, and she was so nice and fun to get tattooed by. But she is very far away and so I am only likely to be able to get more work from her when she's here for conventions in the future, so who knows! But it was such a good experience that I want more!)

i want that look of a coherent body suit where everything is planned and meshes well, but i'm totally the same way. a lot of my tattoos haven't turned out how i planned they would i.e. size, some of the placement, things like that. that's one of the reasons why i want to get tattooed by one person. shit's hard to limit yourself to one though.

I think if things end up meshing well on me, it will be more a matter of theme than one of style. When I choose a tattoo, and it doesn't matter if it's something that I've spent hours thinking about or something that I've spontaneously picked off a wall, it's going to be an image that appeals to me viscerally. I'm more and more realising as I get older that there are certain themes or tones, and I don't just mean in tattoos, but in books, music, art, movies, etc., that just kind of always work aesthetically for me and that I always find appealing. I don't have any Japanese-style tattoos on me yet, but when I do, it will be something like tigers or dragons or onis rather than peonies or koi because this is the sort of imagery that appeals to me on a gut level, and I think (we'll see as I get more covered though) that this will hopefully be enough to keep my tattoos from being a total random jumble of things. And if not, at least I've had some great experiences getting those tattoos.

I dont particularly care for a completely cohesive looking body suit. A lot of it, for myself, and I think for others I know here, is that we love the art so much that we cannot commit to just one person. For myself as a non-tattooer, it gives me the opportunity to get some amazing work, and often, form friendships. But also, it's like with "big stuff," the torso, back, I intend on being loyal to a single artist so that it can look as complete as possible.

I think if things end up meshing well on me, it will be more a matter of theme than one of style. When I choose a tattoo, and it doesn't matter if it's something that I've spent hours thinking about or something that I've spontaneously picked off a wall, it's going to be an image that appeals to me viscerally. I'm more and more realising as I get older that there are certain themes or tones, and I don't just mean in tattoos, but in books, music, art, movies, etc., that just kind of always work aesthetically for me and that I always find appealing. I don't have any Japanese-style tattoos on me yet, but when I do, it will be something like tigers or dragons or onis rather than peonies or koi because this is the sort of imagery that appeals to me on a gut level, and I think (we'll see as I get more covered though) that this will hopefully be enough to keep my tattoos from being a total random jumble of things. And if not, at least I've had some great experiences getting those tattoos.

yeah. one of the things that i've been trying to decide is Whether or not I want to go to a tattooer here in Rochester or possibly buffalo, or do I save my money and travel to nyc to get tattooed by dan. Luckily, Rochester has a pretty awesome convention that is attended by some great if I went with the former. as well as a guy that's tattooed me a bunch that's great and Rise Above in Buffalo. as it stands, I’ve been saving and holding out so I can keep making treks back and forth to nyc to get tattooed at smith st. I really want a fluid, flowing collection of work, so I’m trying hard to not stray.

- - - Updated - - -

@CultExciter

i love those all photos of individuals that have body suits from one tattooer. bob shaw's is the first that comes to mind. such a beautiful collection of tattoos. originally, i wanted to just get an array of different tattoos, so my right arm reflects that, but i've been attempting to plan things out more so that eventually i'll have a symetrical look to my tattoos ie lady heads on my shoulders, cat heads in my arm ditches, crawling panther on my right shin, crawling jaguar on my left, etc. i love seeing individuals that have symmetrically planned out tattoos.

tl;dr, nerd talk.