Upcoming Tattoos

CultExciter

Poking my head up from lurking again to post here, because I'm excited. After my last appointment fell through (artist cancelled visit to the states), I tried to get a booking in with Greg Whitehead at Scapegoat, closer to home. Took 3-4 months (and a dropped ball by his previous assistant), but now I'm booked for Sept. 18th. He's been doing more traditional stuff lately. I'm not exactly sure what we're doing! Mermaid or fish and birds and flowers? Dunno, don't care. Gonna be a good time. :)

Been on a wait list coming up on 2 years for a tattooer in my city. Received an email invitation to come down to his studio and get traced out measured up for my backpiece! This tattooer is super low-key, off the radar, underground but is known as THE best, most precision tattooer in town. This man has kept the mystery in tattooing for me since the beginning. He did my first tattoo, my first big tattoo and did my sleeve in his private studio. So it will be a big milestone coming up for have him make a back tattoo. (Sorry folks, I'm withholding his name until the project is underway, don't want to jinx anything!). Really looking forward to the experience and excited as the backpiece will tie in all my existing tattoos as a full bodysuit over the course of the upcoming winter. Tattoo season is upon us!!!

I plan to make an appointment this evening for my next work. I know the tattoo will not please many (most, maybe) here because a) it has a lot of significance to me and my life, b) it has a religious tone, and c) it is not traditional. Anyway, here is the idea. The artist that did my dolphins and patrol pin is very good with detail work and has done some dotwork very well, so I will be asking her to do it. I will ask her to clean up the borders and make them a bit bolder, and do something with the font without making it hard to read. The dots represent the world's population ~100000 people per dot (many overlap). The text has been my motto since the 70s. I try to stay with it, but of course I fail. It has been hard to find a good representative map as most I've found are projections that distort land area, more so toward the poles(Greenland often shows larger than the USA, when it is actually 1/3rd the area). I found one that was a global peel, and pasted a properly sized Greenland (cut in half on most peels) onto it after removing the lat+lon and other lines, then squeezed the Atlantic.

I want it wrapped around my right upper arm from as high on the shoulder as she wants to go to about 1" above the elbow crease.

world7idea_thumb.jpg

I plan to make an appointment this evening for my next work. I know the tattoo will not please many (most, maybe) here because a) it has a lot of significance to me and my life, b) it has a religious tone, and c) it is not traditional. Anyway, here is the idea. The artist that did my dolphins and patrol pin is very good with detail work and has done some dotwork very well, so I will be asking her to do it. I will ask her to clean up the borders and make them a bit bolder, and do something with the font without making it hard to read. The dots represent the world's population ~100000 people per dot (many overlap). The text has been my motto since the 70s. I try to stay with it, but of course I fail. It has been hard to find a good representative map as most I've found are projections that distort land area, more so toward the poles(Greenland often shows larger than the USA, when it is actually 1/3rd the area). I found one that was a global peel, and pasted a properly sized Greenland (cut in half on most peels) onto it after removing the lat+lon and other lines, then squeezed the Atlantic.

I want it wrapped around my right upper arm from as high on the shoulder as she wants to go to about 1" above the elbow crease.

world7idea_thumb.jpg

The theme reminds me of the Samael song "On Earth".

It has been hard to find a good representative map as most I've found are projections that distort land area, more so toward the poles(Greenland often shows larger than the USA, when it is actually 1/3rd the area). I found one that was a global peel, and pasted a properly sized Greenland (cut in half on most peels) onto it after removing the lat+lon and other lines, then squeezed the Atlantic.

world7idea_thumb.jpg

The map projections you'll come across will (almost?) all be designed to take what is (approximately) a sphere and project it onto a flat surface. This will always give a distortion, but you can choose which type of distortion you prefer!

There is, naturally, a wikipedia article on this:

Map projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, in your case, you'll be "projecting" a sphere onto a particular 3-dimensional surface (shoulder/arm).

I don't necessarily have a particular suggestion - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the various issues involved here... (e.g. taking a spherical projection onto a flat surface, and then wrapping it around a another 3D surface may not be optimum.)

The map projections you'll come across will (almost?) all be designed to take what is (approximately) a sphere and project it onto a flat surface. This will always give a distortion, but you can choose which type of distortion you prefer!

There is, naturally, a wikipedia article on this:

Map projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, in your case, you'll be "projecting" a sphere onto a particular 3-dimensional surface (shoulder/arm).

I don't necessarily have a particular suggestion - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the various issues involved here... (e.g. taking a spherical projection onto a flat surface, and then wrapping it around a another 3D surface may not be optimum.)

Yeah, I read the wiki and other articles - that's why I used a peel map with Greenland corrected (with such a small population, they seem to always be distorted one way or another). Peel maps are as if you peeled the globe like an apple (I'm sure there is better terminology, though). Lat and lon lines get broken, but this isn't for navigation.

Edit: Ahah! It was a Goode homolosine projection. I like peel map better.

Yeah, I read the wiki and other articles - that's why I used a peel map with Greenland corrected (with such a small population, they seem to always be distorted one way or another). Peel maps are as if you peeled the globe like an apple (I'm sure there is better terminology, though). Lat and lon lines get broken, but this isn't for navigation.

Edit: Ahah! It was a Goode homolosine projection. I like peel map better.

Apples...oranges....meh ! ;) Best wishes !

I'd really like to get a half-sleeve of this areal view of a place called the Blue Dragon River in Portugal.

This person took a really great shot from a plane, and although it's been tweaked, the image has some great vibrant colors and as a whole I really like the concept a pure nature piece without any real borders. Rivers have always played a huge part in my life through traveling, lyric writing and a respect for the force of nature.

That being said, I'm not sure how feasible it is for an artist to take on. Does anyone have thoughts on this (see attached picture) tumblr_mjexfgdS4n1qzxzwwo1_500.jpg

As it's payday my deposits finally went down for Todd noble and Valerie Vargas, :)

Jealous AF. Two of my faves. Valerie appointments seem unattainable so I've just given up all together, and pray for a chance occurrence that I can snag a spot with her someday.

Getting my knee ditches finished by Jeff Rassier. Then I should be done getting tattooed for the year.

Maybe.

Jealous AF. Two of my faves. Valerie appointments seem unattainable so I've just given up all together, and pray for a chance occurrence that I can snag a spot with her someday.

Getting my knee ditches finished by Jeff Rassier. Then I should be done getting tattooed for the year.

Maybe.

I'm pretty much going to England just for that tattoo, like my family is there but I said I'd only go back if I could book in with her, got a 6 hour session booked gonna be intense, and Todd is coming to calgary for the convention so I couldn't resist, a few other artists I like are coming so you never know,

Done for the year? Just wait till a opportunity comes up

I'd really like to get a half-sleeve of this areal view of a place called the Blue Dragon River in Portugal.

This person took a really great shot from a plane, and although it's been tweaked, the image has some great vibrant colors and as a whole I really like the concept a pure nature piece without any real borders. Rivers have always played a huge part in my life through traveling, lyric writing and a respect for the force of nature.

That being said, I'm not sure how feasible it is for an artist to take on. Does anyone have thoughts on this (see attached picture) tumblr_mjexfgdS4n1qzxzwwo1_500.jpg

What if you get a big ass blue dragon with water?

I really like the slithery idea of the landscape. Doing the exact landscape itself will lose perspective of what it actually is, but if you took the slithery idea into another concept, that would be really cool. @9Years has a good thought - find something that has the same idea. Even if it remains a river, with stuff on the sides that complements the movement.