Upcoming Tattoos

CultExciter

There is a tattoo convention in Edmonton, AB this weekend.

I wasn't planning on going because I've already got a big project in progress, that is my focus and most real estate is reserved. Also, the Edmonton convention seems to be mostly cup cake and tea cup tattoo artists from the local shops, not really my thing and not a lot of tattooers that impress me. Oh! Jime Litwalk will be there (yawn).

But then I see Matt Gone (checkerboard bodysuit) is hosting. I think it would be fun to get some pics with him because I've been following his progress for years. Danny Trejo is the celebrity guest but I'm not paying him $50 to get my photo taken with him.

So I think me and my wife are gonna go check it out, see the trashiest and most interesting tattoos in town, maybe enter our matching Chris David eagle tattoos into the best traditional tattoo contest. I think it will be funny too if I show up to the best small colour contest in my underwear with tattoo bodysuit and enter my silver dollar sized mantis lol. My buddy is also planning on going, he's got a Paul Jeffries back/arms/chest plates so I'm expecting him to lay a whooping on the best large colour. No backpiece contest though, but trad, script, realism, sleeve all have their categories...bizarre

Also there are a few tattooers I'd be into watching work...Danny Gordey, Seve, Miles Kanne (catch up and show him how tattoos he did on me 7 and 10 years ago have aged!), Stace aka Water Street Phantom, BJ Betts. Hopefully I will see "Snake Man" this old cat in town who always struts around shirt-off in the summer, covered in old school snake tattoos. Maybe there will be some unknown cat there that will catch my eye, maybe an opportunity to get a small tattoo, who knows stranger things have happened! I think it will be fun to walk around with my shirt off and have candid conversations with tattoo lovers.

I've only been to 1 tattoo convention...it was in 2005 years ago and I won best large B&G for my Escher dragon. Maybe I enter that tattoo again now that it is 10 years old!

There is a tattoo convention in Edmonton, AB this weekend.

I wasn't planning on going because I've already got a big project in progress, that is my focus and most real estate is reserved. Also, the Edmonton convention seems to be mostly cup cake and tea cup tattoo artists from the local shops, not really my thing.

But then I see Matt Gone (checkerboard bodysuit) is hosting. I think it would be fun to get some pics with him because I've been following his progress for years. Danny Trejo is the celebrity guest but I'm not paying him $50 to get my photo taken with him.

So I think me and my wife are gonna go check it out, see the trashiest and most interesting tattoos in town, maybe enter our matching Chris David eagle tattoos into the best traditional tattoo contest. I think it will be funny too if I show up to the best small colour contest in my underwear with tattoo bodysuit and enter my silver dollar sized mantis lol. My buddy is also planning on going, he's got a Paul Jeffries back/arms/chest plates so I'm expecting him to lay a whooping on the best large colour. No backpiece contest though, but trad, script, realism, sleeve all have their categories...bizarre

Also there are a few tattooers I'd be into watching work...Danny Gordey, Seve, Miles Kanne (catch up and show him how tattoos he did on me 7 and 10 years ago have aged!), Stace aka Water Street Phantom, BJ Betts. Hopefully I will see "Snake Man" this old cat in town who always struts around shirt-off in the summer, covered in old school snake tattoos. Maybe there will be some unknown cat there that will catch my eye, maybe an opportunity to get a small tattoo, who knows stranger things have happened! I think it will be fun to walk around with my shirt off and have candid conversations with tattoo lovers.

I've only been to 1 tattoo convention...it was in 2005 years ago and I won best large B&G for my Escher dragon. Maybe I enter that tattoo again now that it is 10 years old!

What a fun time.

I didn't get tattooed at the Edmonton convention...nothing really struck me + I wanted to stay focused on my upcoming back session.

But I did have a really fun time being part of the spectacle and energy of the show.

The Edmonton Convention is weird, the tattooer list is not on par and hardly any international artists that you would expect at a tattoo convention. It seems to be mostly local shops (and not the shops I would recommend to my friends/acquaintances). I thought there would be more flash ready to go and the drawings ready to go were nu skool, cupcake/donut, realistic. Not my thing. But nevertheless there were some cool tattooers around...

Miles Kanne - got to say hi and catch up, show off one leg and arm sleeves he did on me in 2005 and 2007 when he first started.

Stace aka Water Street Phantom - super friendly, really unique japanese style that I think he is approaching respectfully for a younger tattooer. He had this killer shunga print, but my wife was not into haha. The comp'd us some pina colada flamingo Steveston air freshners

Cody Dewald - a young bold black traditional tattooer, got to chat and watch him work on a few people which was cool.

Horiryu Family / Strictly Tattoo Vancouver - watched a huge hanya back get lined in. But the muscle dude getting it done was cringing and his calf muscles were tensing. He wasn't enjoying it haha

Bart from Empire Tattoo, Victoria - had some wicked traditional flash ready to go. He was busy. He comes to Lucky Strike in town fairly often to visit.

Lucas Ford - got to meet him, really nice dude. He was also a judge in the contests...more on that later haha

I met Matt Gone the Checkerboard man. He was quite charming but batshit crazy. Actually it was funny, I went to get a photo with him and some security/handler guy was like "buddy, Danny Trejo isn't ready yet for fan photos"...and I'm like "huh? I'm here to see Matt Gone". I told Matt how when I first started my tattoos I saw him on the cover of Skin & Ink and have been following his bodysuit progress for several years. I asked if I could take a photo with my shirt off and next thing you know I'm in my socks and underwear with Checker board Man:

11191276_694478737364791_375653685_n.jpg

Matt said to swing buy his booth and gave me a t-shirt and wanted to take more photos together with our bodysuits. It was hilarious. They are all up on his facebook page now lol.

I got approached by a photographer asking for a picture for the newspaper (Edmonton Sun)...I said you want the full meal deal? No problemo...actually hold on, here come my buddies with Paul Jeffries tattoos. So the three of us ended up in the Sun's online photographs from event. So yeah we got our tattooed butts in the paper lol:

11189221_858663870835359_1851708394_n.jpg

Contests...

Cam and Keith both entered their Paul Jeffries tattoos in the best sleeve category. They both didn't even place and lost to a ghostbusters, spiderman and zelda sleeves (wtf). We thought it was a joke that comic book tattoos could win over classic Paul Jeffries work. Like c'mon! But hey maybe that's tattooing in Alberta or tattooing in this era, the bros love the airbrush photorealistic look but don't know the name of the man who put Canada on the tattoo map.

Later on, my wife arrives and we enter our matching Chris David eagle tattoos in the best traditional category. Maybe about a dozen entries, several of which had like 8 colours and NO BLACK (wait is this best traditional? wtf). Well no big deal. They called us both back onstage, the judges wanted another look as we were battling to place. So yeah, they couldn't decide so we BOTH won the 1st and 2nd place!! Ryan Gagne tattoo also won, so it was a clean sweep for Government Street Tattoo in the trad contest lmao. No cash prizes, although advertised.

So it was fun. It was a spectacle. I thought there would be more shirtless folks, it is a tattoo convention after all. People seemed pretty timid. Well except for the 3 of us and Matt Gone!

11189808_1575406186058882_143216646_n.jpg

I'm happy I went. We had fun. Lots of laughs and good people watching. People getting tattooed. I lost track how many times I dropped trough! And then we went to the Keg to celebrate our victory

I've eased off quite a bit and wasn't planning on picking up anything until the end of the summer after I return from vacation with the family. However, just saw where Tomas Garcia will be working a few days at Acme Tattoo this summer. I plan on setting up something with him (hopefully it doesn't happen while I am on vacation).

I have a booking this Saturday to continue my sleeve. I did a cover up in the shoulder 2 weeks ago and on Saturday i am getting my inner arm done with a cool eye inside a skull. Will post a pic when done.... Cant wait! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about getting my first tattoo as soon as possible. Have been wanting a tattoo for a while, but I am just starting to figure out what I want.

In my mind I have either a family tree or a globe that is done watercolor style. Not too sure what the colors are going to be. Might put some overlaying or underlaying text in the piece with the words "the love you get is equal to the love you give." I am really excited and came here to get some ideas from you guys! I am not too sure if the watercolor theme would be best for the kind of tattoo that I want, I'm really just a fan of the abstract style....

I have considered it, he does some solid work. I have also considered Nicholas at Bluearms or going to London or something.

I makes me really happy to hear that you're considering Nicholas. He's a really really good tattooer, but for some reason his work doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves, I feel. I got a really cool little namakubi from him a couple years ago, and I'm looking forward to getting more tattoos from him in the future. You really should get tattooed by both of them though. Great guys, who do great tattoos.

I makes me really happy to hear that you're considering Nicholas. He's a really really good tattooer, but for some reason his work doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves, I feel. I got a really cool little namakubi from him a couple years ago, and I'm looking forward to getting more tattoos from him in the future. You really should get tattooed by both of them though. Great guys, who do great tattoos.

He does some awesome heads, and the few sleeves I have seen on his instagram looks really cool too.

I just have to decide which of my planned projects to start next. I want to get a traditional sleeve started, a traditional chest piece and I also have some japanes stuff planned in the back of my head. Wanting a tattoo, but not knowing what is driving me crazy.