Upcoming Tattoos

CultExciter

As a newbie in the world of tattoo, I have a question.

When booking an appointment 3 months or longer in advance for an all day session, with reference sent via email as well with deposit.

is it common to get the consult the day of the appointment?

OR do artists usually consult before the appointment date to iron out details of the tattoo?

How many hours is considered an all day session? from what I gather it's about 4-8 hours depending on artist?

The answers depend on the artist. If you want to share the artist's name someone here might be able to share their personal experience with the artist.

The answers depend on the artist. If you want to share the artist's name someone here might be able to share their personal experience with the artist.

I was just asking in general.

Just so I know how things work when I'm trying to get appointments.

I don't really wanna be "that guy" with a thousand questions.

It really depends on the tattooer, sometimes to even get an appointment you have to do a consult beforehand, others work better with it rolled up into one. I've had consults a month before the appointment where we talked about each little thing, went over reference and got everything ironed out, and I've had appointments with guest artists, or when I was travelling where I just walked in, showed them the place and bounced a couple ideas around. Different people work differently, so I think it's best to let them do their thing.

If you've already sent a deposit and some references with an idea of what you want you should be good, if you have a specific idea in your head of what you want it to look like maybe you can reach out to them to get that idea across, but if you chose your tattooer specifically for their style then I'm sure you'll be happy with what they come up with.

It really depends on the tattooer, sometimes to even get an appointment you have to do a consult beforehand, others work better with it rolled up into one. I've had consults a month before the appointment where we talked about each little thing, went over reference and got everything ironed out, and I've had appointments with guest artists, or when I was travelling where I just walked in, showed them the place and bounced a couple ideas around. Different people work differently, so I think it's best to let them do their thing.

If you've already sent a deposit and some references with an idea of what you want you should be good, if you have a specific idea in your head of what you want it to look like maybe you can reach out to them to get that idea across, but if you chose your tattooer specifically for their style then I'm sure you'll be happy with what they come up with.

@exume Thank you man, I appreciate the info.

I agree with everything exume said. Also I would add, in my experience "all day" just means as long as it takes basically. They know they can devote as much time as needed to coming to the right image, and applying it, without worrying about the next appointment. Could take 3 hours, 6 hours, etc. That's my experience at least, if that makes any sense.

Yup @DJDeepFried! As @hogg says, I'll be at JANM for Junii's talk so plan to meet with him before his appointment/Junii's presentation. You and @TrixieFaux should come over too!

Yes, so this happened! LST meet-up!!! Unfortunately Lance went back to JANM before Stella took our picture. I don't want to ruin @hogg's tough guy ban hammer reputation or anything, but what a great guy! Lance, too--but we already knew that. Great to see those tattoos in person, too.

post-1642-146168870515_thumb.jpg

Yes, so this happened! LST meet-up!!! Unfortunately Lance went back to JANM before Stella took our picture. I don't want to ruin @hogg's tough guy ban hammer reputation or anything, but what a great guy! Lance, too--but we already knew that. Great to see those tattoos in person, too.

[ATTACH]11109[/ATTACH]

Ross is the epitome of a class act in person. I'm jelly I wasnt hanging with yall!

I think I'll be heading down to The Okey Doke in Toronto next Sunday to get a snake n dagger walk-in with Franz. Just gotta figure out how early I should get there to make sure I get in with him.

You totally should. Awesome dude and great tattoos. In fact, the whole shop is crazy talented. The shop opens at noon, so if you really want to be sure to get in, you'll want to be there an hour early. Its possible you might be the only one there, but I've seen ten people waiting by 11:15am, on multiple occasions. It's worth the wait. Bring a coffee and something to eat with you though, because the McDonald's on the corner of Bathurst and Dundas is about the only thing open around there at that time. Oh - you know the shop moved a few weeks ago?

You totally should. Awesome dude and great tattoos. In fact, the whole shop is crazy talented. The shop opens at noon, so if you really want to be sure to get in, you'll want to be there an hour early. Its possible you might be the only one there, but I've seen ten people waiting by 11:15am, on multiple occasions. It's worth the wait. Bring a coffee and something to eat with you though, because the McDonald's on the corner of Bathurst and Dundas is about the only thing open around there at that time. Oh - you know the shop moved a few weeks ago?

Yeah they are! I'm super excited Kyle and Mike opened up shop here in Hamilton. I think I'll make it there for 1045 then, just to be on the safe side. Yep, saw the IG post about their move - hopefully I can find cheap parking close by.

Yeah they are! I'm super excited Kyle and Mike opened up shop here in Hamilton. I think I'll make it there for 1045 then, just to be on the safe side. Yep, saw the IG post about their move - hopefully I can find cheap parking close by.

I've never had trouble finding parking. Even at the new shop it isn't a problem. I think you've got three hours clear on the side streets, and there is often a spot on Dundas right out front. I think it's a buck fifty an hour. At any rate, you wont have to worry about going into a crazy expensive parking lot. Loads of parking all around the shop.

emailed tony hundahl late last night trying my luck and seeing if he had any space open to tattoo me at the convention on saturday. 2 hours later and he messaged me back and said he left a bunch of space for walk ups and asked what i wanted. so now i'm getting tattooed by him on saturday around 3 or 4. i can't wait

emailed tony hundahl late last night trying my luck and seeing if he had any space open to tattoo me at the convention on saturday. 2 hours later and he messaged me back and said he left a bunch of space for walk ups and asked what i wanted. so now i'm getting tattooed by him on saturday around 3 or 4. i can't wait

awesome, what are you getting?!

I have a (short) session scheduled with Yoni for this fall! We're going to do a mandala coming out of the water, above the fishies and next to the lotus - on my right hip proper. I left it up to him to do what he wanted, couldn't be more thrilled with the suggestion. Too bad I have to wait until the fall!!!

Changed who I was getting my tattoo done by. So glad that I didn't wait it out, only reason I was sticking to it honestly was because it was the first shop I visited, and I felt like I owed it to them. I didn't cancel last minute, more like two weeks away, but it would have been a poor decision as the shop only had maybe five works posted by the artist, and most of those were worrying in quality. I was kidding myself thinking that it would be okay because it was such a simple design. Anyway, visited a shop on Friday because a friend knows the owner, who said he would be happy to have a look at my drawings and give some tips; and in the midst of our conversation I ended up discussing an appointment. Still waiting on conformation since I emailed that night to conform the dates, but I am very excited and actually confident now.

Hehe, Power line-up! Nina have an appointment with Sylvia. She is getting the same motiv Hardy did on Higgs back. I'm jealous!

I thought about getting that on my back too, by Scott Sylvia. I think he would do an amazing job with that.