dari

That article made my blood boil. I've only ever had awesome experiences at NY Adorned (and Josh is the best). I've seen people walk in with mighty horrible ideas for tattoos and the staff at NYA be nothing but gracious and helpful. Agree with @bongsau. Poor lady, she walked into one of the best shops in the city and got told "no" for the most general tattoo one can get, wah-wah-wah (or weh-weh-weh). Not to be as petty as her - but her tattoo looks awful placed where it is.

When I worked at Vidal Sassoon in the 90s, people would routinely get turned away for asking for the Jennifer Aniston "Friends" haircut. It just wasn't a style they did. VS is known for geometric shapes and the Friends shag was just not done there. People would get sooooo pissed off. You don't want my money?!!!!!

How about just go to another salon (or in the case of this article another tattoo shop) and NOT bitch and moan all over the place about it?!

Don't most tattoo shops have "ASSHOLE" consent waiver for entitled little shits like these to sign before getting inspirational script tattooed anywhere on their bodies....? They should!

I ______________________ realize that every pop star and role model has inspirational script and/or meaningful symbols tattooed on every visible place on their body that designer clothes/jewelry will not interfere with. I also have been told by my artist that this is fad and will quickly pass like said role models career. I will not hold my artist or this shop responsible for my poor, misguided choices. I agree not to blog/tweet/facebook (insert currently used social media outlet) to slander this artist or shop for my erroneous decision and live with what I've done to myself

I am a little surprised he wouldn't do it seeing as she is a grown-ass woman and, yeah, he probably wouldn't have said that to a guy. But I guess that's his prerogative, just as it is hers to whine-blog about it.

My main objection to the tattoo is that she didn't get it bigger in a cooler font.

Saw this article on Brad Stevens instagram and my eyes just about rolled out of my head.

You really believe that? Based on what?

Based on fucking nothing!! But it does show she knows jack shit tattoos or tattoo culture and is a self-victimizing idiot.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess. Try to look out for people by steering them away from bad tattoo decisions and you get publicly defamed.

She did an fine job at dropping El-P and Jeff Zuck's name. So many of those Jezebel articles are reaching. I feel like one of the benefits to struggling through and becoming a professional artist, is the ability to abide by your own code of ethics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know what would be a fantastic way of getting a tattoo that honors both your daughter and your commitment to feminism? How about putting your trust in one of NYC's many amazing female tattooers and taking her advice on design and placement? If you want to support women, that can certainly include supporting female artists and craftspeople by paying them for their work. It seems like this turned into a feminist issue after she didn't get what she wanted...when it could've been a really cool and memorable experience had a little more thought gone into it. No comment on whether she was or wasn't condescended to, but public shaming of the artist doesn't strike me as a good or productive way of dealing with it.

Just on Jezebel, this article and really journalism in general: As a news junkie one of the downsides of the move from print media to online for me is that "click bait" articles seem here to stay.

It doesn't matter if it's contrived, deliberately provocative or just plain badly written... If it gets the hits then it apparently fits a (short sighted) business model.

Already with The Guardian in the UK there is a divergence between the print paper and website. You'll find nutty pieces online you won't in print.

BTW, on that original article, what was her obsession with the guy's on-the-fly analogy... Is he supposed to be a tattooer or a professor of English!?

Just on Jezebel, this article and really journalism in general: As a news junkie one of the downsides of the move from print media to online for me is that "click bait" articles seem here to stay.

It doesn't matter if it's contrived, deliberately provocative or just plain badly written... If it gets the hits then it apparently fits a (short sighted) business model.

Already with The Guardian in the UK there is a divergence between the print paper and website. You'll find nutty pieces online you won't in print.

BTW, on that original article, what was her obsession with the guy's on-the-fly analogy... Is he supposed to be a tattooer or a professor of English!?

Totally agreed with this. The article is infuriating, but of course it is because it's literally trolling. If that woman wrote instead about how she got the tattoo she wanted later that same day after being declined at one shop, Jezebel wouldn't be getting the clicks and the revenue that comes from them. So fuck 'em, don't read this shit because it only serves them.

If there's any good thing about that stupid article it made me come back to this website to see if anyone was talking about it.

The thing I dislike most about the article is her argument that it's her body and she can do whatever she wants to it. That's not how bodily autonomy works, the right to do anything to your body does not mean she has the right to tell OTHER PEOPLE what to do to her body. By not respecting the artist's right to refuse work, she's dehumanizing him. It's sad we live in a world where a feminist website will publish an article by somebody who doesn't even understand agency.

If there's any good thing about that stupid article it made me come back to this website to see if anyone was talking about it.

The thing I dislike most about the article is her argument that it's her body and she can do whatever she wants to it. That's not how bodily autonomy works, the right to do anything to your body does not mean she has the right to tell OTHER PEOPLE what to do to her body. By not respecting the artist's right to refuse work, she's dehumanizing him. It's sad we live in a world where a feminist website will publish an article by somebody who doesn't even understand agency.

That's a brilliant point.

I totally agree with this and posted elsewhere that it is ironic that she accused him of sexism, because to me this smacks of classism, i.e. "how dare YOU, a lowly tattooer, give ME advice". I think normals might be getting tattooed these days, but they still see tattooers as some sort of savages who are beneath them, and certainly wouldn't have years of training and expertise that might just be worth listening to.

But mostly I feel annoyed that I got sucked into commenting on this at all, because it is indeed total clickbait, and so we are playing right into these idiots' hands. GAH.