When you got tattooed

slayer9019

In my experience, most people I know started getting tattoos when they were young. I thought that if you didn't get them in your teens or early 20s you won't get them at all. More and more I noticed on this site that some people were "late" in the game getting tattooed. I always joked with my parents that they should get a tattoo, and they always say they are too old. I know that there is no experation date on getting started, especially since I saw this article Needles and Sins Tattoo Blog | 101-Year-Old Woman Gets Third Tattoo. I also know that @Hogrider got his first at 54.

I also remember some people saying they wish they waited (actually seems to be a common theme for those who got tattooed before their 20s). What are your guys thoughts about the timing to get tattooed?

also this is pretty cool http://www.needlesandsins.com/2009/04/danish-woman-celebrates-103rd-birthday-with-a-tattoo.html

I was one of those guys who waited until later to get tattooed, last summer being the first time for me (at 21 years of age). I've always been interested in tattoos, even if just slightly. I remember wanting to get a big ship tattoo on my ribs when I was in high school, but I was broke and young. I was also on another forum that had a tattoo thread (a few of the regulars there came to LST when it started) for a couple years, learning about tattoos, before I got my first. I'm glad that I waited, because it meant great tattoos for me.

The rare part is actually having an appreciation for the art (of tattoos and tattooing) itself at a younger age - and the dedication and funds to pull off getting quality work. My 1st was at 18 and was done to be radical/cool/edgy. I was also broke so money was always a factor, so as I got a few more (and with no internet to guide me), mistakes were made. Now that my kids are grown, I am enjoying the ability to fund quality work, and the hunt for exceptional artists.

I am 28 and just got my first tattoo this past weekend. I always knew I wanted tattoos, but didn't want to run out and slap just anything on me. I've naturally matured since being a fresh face teenager and the tattoo bug had still been nagging me. Some events in my life to this point made for an easy choice for a tattoo. I figured I'd let my life develop a bit and experience the harshness of life prior to getting tattoos that way they are in a greater perspective for me.

got mine on my 23rd birthday.... I had wanted it since I was 19 but I was broke and I wanted to see if having tattoos would fuck up the job I wanted. Turns out it wouldn't have but I'm glad I waited because the tattoo I would have gotten at 19 would have been stupid. Probably something way melodramatic. Or lyrics from one of the shitty local screamo bands I was into at the time. hahaha. that would have been awful. But I feel good about what I have, I think when I look back in 4 years, I will think I started at the right time.

I started putting on my own when I was like 13, tried and true needle and thread. Figured out that you could use more or less thread to vary line thickness, and more or less exposed needle to vary shading. Also got around to soldering needles in a row to shade and make staright(er) lines. Of course, I had two years of sitting in a "secure youth facility" to spend practicing!

My inspirations were the older guys in the 'hood, and the joints on south State Street in the arcades, and finally, I hit the jackpot and found CLiff Raven's Chicago Tattooing Company. It was just Raven's Tattoos then, but it was a trip.

Still have one piece of my original handmade tattoos left, I'll never let go of it, but the rest are all covered, and I'm getting more all the time. 38 years in the same shop...shit, where's that thread about apprenticing?!

hand pokes at 16ish....then got a few at 18. Then got some bullshit from friends at 25. I wish I waited because at 27-30 I started get serious and have been getting what I think are good tattoos and now im spending money to laser some of my shitty ones. Would have saved me money. My dad wants one now....hes almost 60.

i started at 24, and i'm so glad i waited until then. i remember being 16 and wanting strength tattooed across my shoulders. it's embarrassing enough just admitting i wanted to get that when i was 16.

but, yeah, i'm really glad i waited and was able to research tattooers that i liked and understand which style of tattoos i liked.

I got my first tattoo at 22. I always liked it and figured I'd get another, but it took a while. Finally got another one at 36. Then a couple more...nothing huge.

Now I am 43 and am just getting around to getting bigger, higher quality ones.

I think a reason I'm more into it now has to do with having a career (not super high-paying but stable), being in the same job at the same place for 10 years with a boss who respects my work, realizing that I can have a lot of tattoos and still be able to cover most of them with 3/4 length sleeve shirts while at work...and the ones that do show don't pose a problem there.

I had a slow start but I'm just totally hooked now. I am glad it took this long to get the bigger stuff. When I was younger I was not researching my artists as well as I am now... I am getting images that are beautiful to me by artists I trust. At this point in my life I feel pretty confident I won't tire of beautiful animals and flowers.

I got my first tattoo a week before my 20th birthday. I used to say that if I ever regret it I could always just know that it was the last dumb thing I did as a teenager. :)

It's not a bad tattoo at all and I don't regret getting it in the slightest, however, I do regret the placement because it's taking up prime real estate and could never really be integrated into anything big on my right arm.

Thankfully, it's not big, so I'm going to get it covered up when I get my right arm done starting in September.

I started getting tattooed at 17. I was lucky enough to have parents who were cool. I didn't pay for any of first two tattoos. One was a birthday gift, and one was my high school graduation present. I don't regret any of my tattoos, I was lucky to be smart enough to do my research and go to a great artist.

I don't think there is an age requirement, but I do think there is a difference between people that got tattoos when they were young and impetuous, as opposed to people who apply a mature "logic" to it. I don't trust these people with all perfect tattoos, planned space, perfect balance. There is a humble aspect to the people that were into it before it grew, and back then it wasn't about what you had. You were tattooed. That's it. Now there is a fraction of the social judgement there was 20 years ago. I think this is the same conversation that could be had about the difference between when/if you started tattooing. It was a different business back then, just like we were a different clientele in those days.

I do think I got my first tattoo when I was 21, now I'm currently 25. If I would have gotten my first idea of a tattoo it would have been two slipknot "S" one on each of my calfs.... that would be when I was like 15, and although I can see it's a stupid tattoo now it's what I wanted at the time. So if I had it done I know I would have liked it and lived with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I do think I got my first tattoo when I was 21, now I'm currently 25. If I would have gotten my first idea of a tattoo it would have been two slipknot "S" one on each of my calfs.... that would be when I was like 15, and although I can see it's a stupid tattoo now it's what I wanted at the time. So if I had it done I know I would have liked it and lived with it.

You'd probably love that "S" even more now!

I got my first tattoo when I was 22, although I remember that I had been sitting on the idea for it since I was 16. A lot of my friends in high school has tattoos, and I accompanied many to get theirs, so honestly, by the time I got to 22 for my first one, I felt kind of old! Ha. I still like the tattoo, but if I got it now I would probably get a nicer version of it. I then waited 8 years before my second--I always knew I'd get another, but the time just never seemed right. Turning thirty somehow flipped a switch in me and since then I have not gone 6 months without getting any work done.

My husband, on the other hand, got his first at 32, and a year later, he has 5 tattoos and is about to get started on a sleeve! So he is catching up. :) It has been interesting to see the difference for sure--I have had this slow learning process, whereas he dove in head first and hardcore. This is probably a generally fair description of the differences in our two personalities.

I love, love, love stories about folks who get started later in life, and I hope to keep plenty of space open on myself because I like marking life transitions with tattoos and so want to be able to continue getting them in the decades to come.

....hes almost 60.

Yeah...what's your point?!?!?!?!?!?!?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there is an age requirement, but I do think there is a difference between people that got tattoos when they were young and impetuous, as opposed to people who apply a mature "logic" to it. I don't trust these people with all perfect tattoos, planned space, perfect balance. There is a humble aspect to the people that were into it before it grew, and back then it wasn't about what you had. You were tattooed. That's it. Now there is a fraction of the social judgement there was 20 years ago. I think this is the same conversation that could be had about the difference between when/if you started tattooing. It was a different business back then, just like we were a different clientele in those days.

It's the hipness, str8-up. What's hip now was way out there in 1968 when I did my first. The stories are true-sailors, convicts, gangbangers, Greasers, J.D.'s....those were the people, for the very large part, getting tattooed.

Hope to see you at the shop this evening, Eric.