When you got tattooed

slayer9019

The urge to get a tattoo started when i was around 15 (luckily i didn't got one then) but I always told myself if i still want one at 18, im getting it then. Turned 18 and went to the shop in town that i knew put out quality work since i saw them winning several awards at conventions. I was nervous as fuck, didn't tell my parents anything and i thought i would walk out again with a tattoo, little did i know they had a 5 month waiting list. So last oktober the 20th It was time and i lost my tattoo virginity as the artist put it. It was a blast. The guy was great fun to talk to and he was the first one who introduced me to Lucero, which is now one of my favorite bands. I've been hooked since that day but haven't gotten any other tattoo's since i'm still young (19) and i don't want to go through all my prime real-estate before i can afford all the stuff i would like to get in the future.

Good strategy!

Got my first, one month after i turned 18. At the time I was working at a record shop, and most of the people i used to hang out with, had tattoos that would tell other people what music they were into, even if they were naked. I mean like, having Japanese crust band logos tattooed on one arm, and a misfits skull on the other. Some people get a t-shirt for a band, them guys got a tattoo, and so did I.

I liked tattoo as much as any normal 18yo at the time, so i decided to get a tattoo. And nothing made more sense to me at the time than getting a band tattoo, so I got a tattoo from Neurosis, a big tribal sun on my elbow,

Well, not really regretting the piece, I believe I could have waited. Since it's a bit out of tune with the other stuff that I got, it gets the most attention from strangers and the customary "what does it mean?" question more often. Still love the band tho, and miss my job at the record shop.

I was 40 when i got my first, and i'm glad i waited. I can only imagine what i'd have if i had started in my teens or early 20's. It feels much more sure at a later age that what you've gotten will be timeless to you, imo.

(I did attempt a homemade needle and Testors ink tattoo when i was 15 thought, which didn't really work out. :P )

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting reading this thread. I got my first tattoo when I was 19. It wasn't until I moved to LA after college that I really started to get into tattooing. I got some more when I was 23, but it wasn't until I was 26 when I got visible tattoos on my forearms and began my sleeves.

I started with scarification on my arm when I was 16' date=' got my first tattoo when i was 19, and thankfully had discovered Sailor Jerry by my 4th...I also started at my wrists and moved up. I took about a 5 year break in my late 20s but I doubt I'll stop now til Im covered[/quote']

Thats pretty interesting. From my experience it is usually the other way around as tattoos are more common place.

I had always been interested in tattoos. My grandfather had tattoos from the time he spent in the navy. They were old and most of them had fallen apart but they really grabbed my attention. I held off getting tattooed when I was younger because my dad had insisted that I waited until I was certain that I wanted to get tattooed (I wasn't going to argue with him). I got my first tattoo when I was 25. A sailor jerry swallow by Stewart Robson. Since then I haven't looked back.

I had always been interested in tattoos. My grandfather had tattoos from the time he spent in the navy. They were old and most of them had fallen apart but they really grabbed my attention. I held off getting tattooed when I was younger because my dad had insisted that I waited until I was certain that I wanted to get tattooed (I wasn't going to argue with him). I got my first tattoo when I was 25. A sailor jerry swallow by Stewart Robson. Since then I haven't looked back.

thats a good argument for "good things come to those that wait"

• 3 weeks later...
Got my 1st tattoo a year and a half ago when I was 50. Just got my 2nd at 52.

I just love hearing the "mid life crisis" crap :)

I hear that too... I'll show those fkucers a mid-life crisis....

You are really better off getting your ink after 50, so whan you're 70 it will still look pretty good. I took a long break and got back into it when I was 50, have added a lot of ink and got some old stuff freshened up and I'm 57... ain't stoppin' now.

Rob

I hear that too... I'll show those fkucers a mid-life crisis....

You are really better off getting your ink after 50, so whan you're 70 it will still look pretty good. I took a long break and got back into it when I was 50, have added a lot of ink and got some old stuff freshened up and I'm 57... ain't stoppin' now.

Rob

I'm 54 and just got my first tattoo - a sleeve and chest panel. We'll show those snot-nosed punks!!

• 2 weeks later...