Some Scary Shit

Dan S

I copied this straight out form Reuters, but thought it was important enough to steal it and put the link here as well.

Tattoo infections in U.S. linked to contaminated ink

By Gene Emery

Aug 22 (Reuters Health) - Contaminated tattoo ink caused at least 22 skin and soft tissue infections last fall in four U.S. states, according to an analysis released on Wednesday.

The infections prompted an investigation by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that uncovered 22 confirmed cases, 4 probable cases and 27 possible cases of contamination-related infections in New York, Washington, Iowa and Colorado.

Products from four companies were implicated during the probe. None of the companies is identified in a CDC report, released in conjunction with a New England Journal of Medicine study of the New York cases.

"People who get tattoos must be made aware of this risk and seek medical attention" if they get a rash or other abnormalities at the site, according to a commentary in the journal from a team led by Pamela LeBlanc of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The bacteria got into the containers when the manufacturer used distilled or reverse-osmosis water, which is not necessarily sterile. In the New York cases, which led to a recall by the Arizona-based manufacturer, the water was used to dilute black ink into various shades of gray.

The New York cases involved infection with a bug called Mycobacterium chelonae, which caused reddish or purple raised bumps in the areas tattooed with gray. The infection can mimic an allergic reaction and be difficult to treat.

"They were not getting better" with standard care, said Dr. Byron Kennedy of the Monroe County Department of Public Health in New York, the chief author of the New England Journal of Medicine study. "You had some folks who were on treatment for 6 months or more."

The FDA does not directly regulate tattoo ink because it is regarded as a cosmetic, but it can intervene when a product has been adulterated or is regarded as unsafe.

Currently, no FDA regulation specifically requires tattoo ink to be sterile, but some local jurisdictions, such as Los Angeles County, do require that sterile water be used when inks are diluted, according to the CDC report.

CDC is encouraging doctors to keep track of such infections and report them to the FDA.

About one in five Americans has tattoos, according to a 2012 Harris Interactive poll. SOURCES: bit.ly/PwHriF New England Journal of Medicine, August 23, 2012, and 1.usa.gov/10AZNP MMWR, August 22, 2012 (Reporting by Gene Emery in Providence, Rhode Island; Editing by Ivan Oransky and Cynthia Osterman)

Tattoo infections in U.S. linked to contaminated ink | Reuters

"The bacteria got into the containers when the manufacturer used distilled or reverse-osmosis water, which is not necessarily sterile. In the New York cases, which led to a recall by the Arizona-based manufacturer, the water was used to dilute black ink into various shades of gray."

Sounds suspect. I know they make gray wash ink, but every tattooer I've been to mixes down their own. Seems like the FDA is trying to regulate/tax something else like they want to do with natural supplements ( have to get a prescription for ginseng or an herbal multi-vitamin, not thanks)

Guest Chris1963

That aint cool. Just to set the record straight it was Catfish Carls wash. Bummer for them I thought it was a great product.

Cult- How about I post the worst tattoo Ive seen and credit you with it? or let peeps know you have hep C?

Love or hate Skin Candy / Bloodline, since 1996 we've never had a lawsuit with regards to a reaction from one of our inks....ever. We've invested close to $500,000 in sterile manufacturing equipment and processes to safegaurd this kind of shit from happening to YOUR clients. Our ink is dispensed and blended in a pharmacy/food grade processing machine in a 16'x56' clean room.

Again, love or hate us for what we do or what we've done, you can't dispute our commitment to your clients health and safety.

I just hope Catfish carries the $2million product liability the rest of us have to?

Ole Catfish, playing in the mud.

Actually, [MENTION=2941]Chris1963[/MENTION], I have the trifecta. Hep, Herp, and the HIV.

The worst tattoo I ever did was on myself. I was 16. It was a stick and poke girls' name. Again, it's good to bring that failed relationship to light. I realize now that I had harbored unresolved emotions from that for the last 14 years.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you're doing it right. Pays to know the practices and reputation of any service provider before contracting for that service.

That aint cool. Just to set the record straight it was Catfish Carls wash. Bummer for them I thought it was a great product.

Cult- How about I post the worst tattoo Ive seen and credit you with it? or let peeps know you have hep C?

Love or hate Skin Candy / Bloodline, since 1996 we've never had a lawsuit with regards to a reaction from one of our inks....ever. We've invested close to $500,000 in sterile manufacturing equipment and processes to safegaurd this kind of shit from happening to YOUR clients. Our ink is dispensed and blended in a pharmacy/food grade processing machine in a 16'x56' clean room.

Again, love or hate us for what we do or what we've done, you can't dispute our commitment to your clients health and safety.

I just hope Catfish carries the $2million product liability the rest of us have to?

• 5 months later...
I copied this straight out form Reuters, but thought it was important enough to steal it and put the link here as well.

Tattoo infections in U.S. linked to contaminated ink

By Gene Emery

Aug 22 (Reuters Health) - Contaminated tattoo ink caused at least 22 skin and soft tissue infections last fall in four U.S. states, according to an analysis released on Wednesday.

The infections prompted an investigation by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that uncovered 22 confirmed cases, 4 probable cases and 27 possible cases of contamination-related infections in New York, Washington, Iowa and Colorado.

Products from four companies were implicated during the probe. None of the companies is identified in a CDC report, released in conjunction with a New England Journal of Medicine study of the New York cases.

"People who get tattoos must be made aware of this risk and seek medical attention" if they get a rash or other abnormalities at the site, according to a commentary in the journal from a team led by Pamela LeBlanc of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The bacteria got into the containers when the manufacturer used distilled or reverse-osmosis water, which is not necessarily sterile. In the New York cases, which led to a recall by the Arizona-based manufacturer, the water was used to dilute black ink into various shades of gray.

The New York cases involved infection with a bug called Mycobacterium chelonae, which caused reddish or purple raised bumps in the areas tattooed with gray. The infection can mimic an allergic reaction and be difficult to treat.

"They were not getting better" with standard care, said Dr. Byron Kennedy of the Monroe County Department of Public Health in New York, the chief author of the New England Journal of Medicine study. "You had some folks who were on treatment for 6 months or more."

The FDA does not directly regulate tattoo ink because it is regarded as a cosmetic, but it can intervene when a product has been adulterated or is regarded as unsafe.

Currently, no FDA regulation specifically requires tattoo ink to be sterile, but some local jurisdictions, such as Los Angeles County, do require that sterile water be used when inks are diluted, according to the CDC report.

CDC is encouraging doctors to keep track of such infections and report them to the FDA.

About one in five Americans has tattoos, according to a 2012 Harris Interactive poll. SOURCES: bit.ly/PwHriF New England Journal of Medicine, August 23, 2012, and 1.usa.gov/10AZNP MMWR, August 22, 2012 (Reporting by Gene Emery in Providence, Rhode Island; Editing by Ivan Oransky and Cynthia Osterman)

Tattoo infections in U.S. linked to contaminated ink | Reuters

Hey, i got a new tattoo about 3 weeks ago and in the last 2 days it has come out in sore, itchy red bumps on the grey shaded areas only. I have found alot of articles about Mycobacterium Infections being caused by contaminated inks and am now really worried.

post-5171-146168847624_thumb.jpg

Please excuse the quality of these images as i took them on my phone and dont have another camera available to take them with. The red areas are actually all individual red bumps (they kind of look like red blisters.)

Does anyone have any experience with this or any idea what it could be?

Thanks

Hey, i got a new tattoo about 3 weeks ago and in the last 2 days it has come out in sore, itchy red bumps on the grey shaded areas only. I have found alot of articles about Mycobacterium Infections being caused by contaminated inks and am now really worried.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8788[/ATTACH]

Please excuse the quality of these images as i took them on my phone and dont have another camera available to take them with. The red areas are actually all individual red bumps (they kind of look like red blisters.)

Thanks

Talk to your artist and/or a doctor because there honestly isn't much we can do here.

It's just more bullshit to make people paranoid to go into a tattoo shop. Before I worked at a tattoo shop, I had no clue what brand of pigment was being used on me and figured it was none of my business. I figured whatever they were using the tattoo seemed to heal well in their portfolio so they probably knew what they were doing.

I guess part of me gets it, I want to know what is in the food I eat, for health reasons, but I started getting tattoos knowing that putting ink into your skin and bloodstream at the very least probably wasn't the smartest idea and I could see the potential for health issues.

What it all comes down to is doing your homework, chosing the right tattooer, who not only can apply a tattoo, but who knows enough to get supplies from quality sources (usually other tattooers) and knows how to handle their equipment. They have a word for that I think it's professional. Go to a professional tattooer you should be fine.

Thanks

Looks like a serious case of over-lotion. Let that thing dry out completely and see where it goes. Pretty doubtful you've got a bizarre infection, but hey-it could hapen! If it really worries you, go to a dermatologist.