Need some advice on a "family" piece

Mike112

Hey guys, still a newbie here and looking for your advice on a tattoo I'm planning.

Now before I begin, I'm engaged to my beautiful fiancée, and she has a little girl of her own that I am not the father of, however I have been there since she was 4 months old (she is 4 now) so she is basically mine. We're already in talks about having more children, so this brings me here to find some of your suggestions! Basically what I want to somehow design would be a piece to signify all of the love in my life. (Fiancée, daughter, and those to come) I know it's "frowned upon" to get names on you as things may change, and people grow apart, etc, so I'm trying to stay away from that direction. I've tried browsing online for suggestions for step-daughter tattoos but haven't been able to come up with anything. I'd want something for my fiancée and her daughter, but like I said before, I'd need to be able to add onto it if I'm fortunate enough to have children of my own with her.

Hopefully I didn't ramble on that it doesn't make sense, haha, but I'm totally open to your guy's suggestions! I've seen some great tattoos all over these forums so I'm excited to hear what you guys can think of.

- Mike

Your kids are always going to be your kids, even your step daughter really. I got my first son's name tattooed on my arm, about a year later me and his mom went our separate ways and found out during custody hearing that I wasn't the father. Long story short I still have the tattoo, in fact I am glad I have it because I don't see him that much and it helps me not forget him as a baby. I got the skull below while my son was in the womb (I used to joke that it was a portrait of him in the womb.) and added his name after he was born. I haven't got my wife's name but I do have a cookie cutter heart with keyhole and she has a skeleton key.

I like the pictures you guy's posted. I guess I'm having trouble trying to symbolize it, or like I said before, think of an image that I can add to. I know the idea of flowers, and I really do like what you have Dan, but I feel like flowers aren't the way to go for me, haha.

My fiance and I have been talking a lot about getting a tattoo for our daughter...one of our favorite ideas was kewpie dolls. Although I really don't think you can go wrong with roses and/or swallows and/or hearts with banners. Ultimately, I think I've settled on a piece of Jerry mermaid flash I found that I've never seen tattooed for mine...my only problem is that I really have my heart set on having Bailey Robinson do it, and he's a lot of money away. See if you can find some books of flash and look through those until you find something that really grabs you. Your local shop probably has at least one of the Jerry books, and you'd be surprised what you can find at Barnes and Noble. Failing that, there's BookMistress or Amazon.

I like the pictures you guy's posted. I guess I'm having trouble trying to symbolize it, or like I said before, think of an image that I can add to. I know the idea of flowers, and I really do like what you have Dan, but I feel like flowers aren't the way to go for me, haha.

Flowers are tuff, bro- check out the Rose Tattoos thread. Just watch out for koi tattoos...

It's all good...we're secure in our masculinity-none of us has a single Koi tattoo!!!!!!!

you need to go talk to a few shops, see what is going on around there. Nothing gets the juices flowing more than the shop experience that can not be obtained on line. Do you know who is doing your tattoo yet? Have you researched any of that stuff? Figure out who you want to do it, go portfolio shopping and set up a consultation with that artist. Give them some direction and let them have at it. Just don't get too married to any ideas in your head because it's hard to create with a short tight leash

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I usually advise my clients to get subject matter over lettering. Find something that symbolizes the girls to you, whether it be her favorite flower, or sport, hobby, toy, show, you get the idea. that usually gives the tattoo artist something cool to draw up and tattoo, and gives people a reason to ask what that tattoo is about. the stories that go with the tattoo is half the reason for getting it in my opinion.

Your kids are always going to be your kids, even your step daughter really. I got my first son's name tattooed on my arm, about a year later me and his mom went our separate ways and found out during custody hearing that I wasn't the father. Long story short I still have the tattoo, in fact I am glad I have it because I don't see him that much and it helps me not forget him as a baby. I got the skull below while my son was in the womb (I used to joke that it was a portrait of him in the womb.) and added his name after he was born. I haven't got my wife's name but I do have a cookie cutter heart with keyhole and she has a skeleton key.

Wow, did you name your son after Mike Malone?

• 2 weeks later...
I usually advise my clients to get subject matter over lettering. Find something that symbolizes the girls to you, whether it be her favorite flower, or sport, hobby, toy, show, you get the idea. that usually gives the tattoo artist something cool to draw up and tattoo, and gives people a reason to ask what that tattoo is about. the stories that go with the tattoo is half the reason for getting it in my opinion.

I'm new to this game, but I like this idea and that is the way I'm leaning myself. There's something to be said for subtlety. I'm thinking about incorporating my kids into a lady head tattoo, and my thought is to take their birthstone colors and work it into a pendant or jewelry in the lady's hair or around her neck. Also considered birth flowers. I just agree that subject matter is a better idea than lettering.