Foot Tattoo

Reyeslv

• 1 year later...

bumping an old thread...

thinking about getting my feets tattooed. better to do one at a time or knock both out in the same session? any advice? right now my plan would be get tattooed on a thursday after work or friday. take friday off from work and relax all weekend.

Do you work on your feet a lot at work? If not, then I'd say you could probably get em both done.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. My one bit of advice from getting my feet done (at different times): Wrap your foot up with some kind of breathable medical (gauze) tape after you remove the initial bandage. It really really cuts down on the swelling. I put a gauze pad over the tattoo before wrapping it up to prevent chaffing. Everything is a breathable material so it still air drys.

Do you work on your feet a lot at work? If not, then I'd say you could probably get em both done.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. My one bit of advice from getting my feet done (at different times): Wrap your foot up with some kind of breathable medical (gauze) tape after you remove the initial bandage. It really really cuts down on the swelling. I put a gauze pad over the tattoo before wrapping it up to prevent chaffing. Everything is a breathable material so it still air drys.

I sit in a cubicle all day so no worries about extra swelling from standing at work.

Cool, just kick your feet up all day and you should be good lol.

I would still suggest the wrap though, cause your feet will swell no matter what. And it could just be my speculating (I wrapped one foot and didn't do the other), but it seemed like the one I kept from swelling so much healed much faster than the other one, and it was a lot less painful.

Also, what are you planning to get for the ol' feet?

Cool, just kick your feet up all day and you should be good lol.

I would still suggest the wrap though, cause your feet will swell no matter what. And it could just be my speculating (I wrapped one foot and didn't do the other), but it seemed like the one I kept from swelling so much healed much faster than the other one, and it was a lot less painful.

i agree wrapping does seem to help with swelling/healing. with other parts of my body i've had the best luck with washing and rewrapping with plastic wrap every 8-10 hours. so i think i'll stick to that for my feet too.

When my wife got her foot done, she was laughing at a friend who had said how shitty it was. She thought he was referring to the actual pain while getting tattooed. She realized the next day how crappy the healing was. She wishes she'd done both at once (like her best friend did) to just get all of the healing/swelling/limping done at once. Of course, she is glad she has her other foot free for a Monmon cat. Follow the tips from everyone above and you'll be fine.

Hell, I had a foot injury for the better part of the last year, and I'm regretting not getting mine tattooed while I wasn't running six days a week. I may actually get them done a few days after my next marathon. I figure I'll be limping anyway, so why not?

bumping an old thread...

thinking about getting my feets tattooed. better to do one at a time or knock both out in the same session? any advice? right now my plan would be get tattooed on a thursday after work or friday. take friday off from work and relax all weekend.

I'd go with taking off Friday and having a three day weekend for sure. The longer amount of time where you wouldn't be busy on your feet the better. I made sure that I had a three day weekend minimum on my last foot and it helped a ton. You could get both feet tattooed just to be done with it but I don't think that would be too good of an idea. Having at least one good foot allows you to put more weight on that one while walking so that your able to baby the other foot which also helps.

As far as the healing goes the 2nd time around I was a bit more diligent in staying off my feet and keeping the swelling down which helped with the healing. I wrapped my foot in plastic when I went to bed and whenever I had to wear shoes. It healed extremely well and I had virtually no scabbing. I was shocked considering my first foot tattoo was nothing but a pain in the a$$. Scabs and swelling for more then a week and a few spots that need to be touched up.

Good reading.

I have a tiny bit to finish tieing the neck together, colour one butt cheek and a little inner thigh, then the only place to fill then is ..feet to sleeve.

Been dreading the thought of the feet even more than before slamming armpits, sternum & knee pit.

Anyone here had the ankle bone worked over?

@Mick Weder I've heard mixed things about the ankle - had a girl friend get her first on the ankle and said she barely felt it, so guess it depends lol. As for the foot, I'm glad I only have 2 of them - it sucked big time. I had quite a bit of involuntary twitching whenever the needle hit that spot inbetween the toes near the knuckles. Artist had to curl my toes over the side of the bench and hold my foot down haha. I think that's fairly common, he seemed to be used to it.

Hmmmm....

I did one foot at a time. Right foot was way worse than the left for some reason. When healing, they both felt like they had an extra layer of flesh on them, if that makes any sense. But I was up and at 'em the next day with no real issues (both times).

My wife did both in one shot. She didn't seem to be phased by it, but she is usually pretty "tattoo tough". I'm not sure there's really a 'best' approach.

@Mick Weder

I've got my left inner-ankle bone pretty much covered. The application was pretty weird (bone-rattler) and it healed slow, but no more or less uncomfortable than anything else in that area. Good luck!

Well, I can report back... I struggled with it a lot more than I have done with previous ones, even though I'd say the pain was not particularly worse (except over the big toe knuckle Sheesh!) . I think it was all due to psychological state. I went in a bit worked up about how much it was going to hurt, and because I knew it would be much quicker I didn't relax into it like I normally do. I felt on the verge of panic the whole time and was constantly checking how much was left to go (~2 hours), whereas my 7 hour session on my thigh I pretty much lay back and daydreamed because I had no idea how long it would take/how much we'd get done in one session etc. There was a bit of time when another guy came in and I was chatting to him, suddenly I relaxed and it was fine again. He left, back to panic mode. I'm pretty annoyed with myself to be honest, but hey, it's over now! Moral of the story - don't let yourself get into a tiswas before you even begin!

Converse and socks was a good footwear choice, just to reiterate what was said up thread. I managed to run for my train afterwards, (or I'd have had to wait over 2 hours for the next one, slow round of applause for National Rail and their unbelievable pricing policy) and it was fine and felt nicely supportive. Held it all in, even though by the time I was home (3 hours later) it was pretty grim in there.

Well, I can report back... I struggled with it a lot more than I have done with previous ones, even though I'd say the pain was not particularly worse (except over the big toe knuckle Sheesh!) . I think it was all due to psychological state. I went in a bit worked up about how much it was going to hurt, and because I knew it would be much quicker I didn't relax into it like I normally do. I felt on the verge of panic the whole time and was constantly checking how much was left to go (~2 hours), whereas my 7 hour session on my thigh I pretty much lay back and daydreamed because I had no idea how long it would take/how much we'd get done in one session etc. There was a bit of time when another guy came in and I was chatting to him, suddenly I relaxed and it was fine again. He left, back to panic mode. I'm pretty annoyed with myself to be honest, but hey, it's over now! Moral of the story - don't let yourself get into a tiswas before you even begin!

Converse and socks was a good footwear choice, just to reiterate what was said up thread. I managed to run for my train afterwards, (or I'd have had to wait over 2 hours for the next one, slow round of applause for National Rail and their unbelievable pricing policy) and it was fine and felt nicely supportive. Held it all in, even though by the time I was home (3 hours later) it was pretty grim in there.

That's a good way to put it - panic mode. I got my feet done at different times and even though the first sucked, I felt I sat better for it. When I went in to get foot #2 done I think I psyched myself out a little also, and it was worse than I remember #1 being. It was also really tough for me to "get in the zone" also because every single part of the foot brought about a whole new sensation of bliss haha.

So, moral is try to relax as much as possible - maybe bring some music.

I sat four hours to get both my feet done together. Hobbled around after and didn't know a persons feet could swell like that w/out exploding. Interesting to say the least. I only had the next day off work and then had to go back, so that sucked. My feet and ankles have healed slower, w/more seeping, swelling and those muscle twinges when walking, than my arms/back.

• 2 weeks later...
Got my right foot tattooed on friday night. Wasn't bad at all. Actually got to sit in a comfortable position and had a good view of the tattoo making. Limped around after but swelling was minimal.

What did you get? I'm getting close to doing the feet too. It will be interesting to see how far we've come since the last Montreal convention.