Ever been called a tattoo snob?

lving4today

rosemarie beads, gangsta clap, happy face sad face, curvis, scripture, broke back girls, skeleton heads, falcon birds, 3D tattoos, angel babies and realistic dragons(not too many pics of them around anymore)

Skeleton heads = awesome

I have seen some realistic dragons. I got a couple pics I took last weekend for reference when I get it.

Also when I read gangster clap, I didn't understand for a bit thinking they just wanted a tattoo of a gangster with the clap....weird

I learned early in my career that what people see is what they make out to be a good tattoo. Most people don't have a fucking clue let alone like to be told that they are wrong. if I get into a heated debate then yes I'll rip their shit apart. But other than that I get the "you have tattoos ? Check mine out!" To which I nod my head and say sweet bra hahaha. A lot of me ending that was letting go of what I was taught because what I thought I knew when I was younger was bullshit and what I know now will probably be bullshit ten years from now. And its ok to have wonky penis fetishes as long as you don't suck toes, cause that's just gross.

Skeleton heads = awesome

I have seen some realistic dragons. I got a couple pics I took last weekend for reference when I get it.

Also when I read gangster clap, I didn't understand for a bit thinking they just wanted a tattoo of a gangster with the clap....weird

gangsta clap... praying hands lmfao but i originally thought is was a black stripper who could do a seriously gangsta ass clap

- - - Updated - - -

What the hell is a "broke back girl"?

its the girl thats bent over backwards that turns into the skull. i forget whos flash it is....shit.

gangsta clap... praying hands lmfao but i originally thought is was a black stripper who could do a seriously gangsta ass clap

- - - Updated - - -

its the girl thats bent over backwards that turns into the skull. i forget whos flash it is....shit.

Gangster Clap makes sense, Wouldn't know what brokeback girl was but no one comes off the street wanting that, they usually see it on the wall and just point. I call this version the swiss army knife of tattoos, because you get a skull, a girl, a dagger, and an eagle in one tattoo, quite a deal for the price.

Easy there... the 2nd koi on my forearm.. I needed a big cover up and it was a perfect fit. The other one is on my chest and the only people that see it are those on the beach.. call me a koi fish snob.

CG

Koi is definitely kool! Somewhere I've got a pic of one of my Brothers, R.I.P., who had a huge-ass Koi by Dale Grande on his upper arm from elbow to shoulder. And he was a BIG boy, maybe 6'4, close to 300 pounds...never heard anyone say anything to him but "what a NICE tattoo! I'll try to find the pic and get it up here.

My best mate went to Borneo on honeymoon & had a big anchor on his calf. It was the first Western tattoo the guy had ever done & suffice to say its proper shit! But what can you say!? I think he knows it's shit. I would never be rude.

I am an amateur when it comes to tattoo knowledge but I was lucky enough to literally stumble on a circle of high end tattoo artists all of whom have given me quality tattoos. Now I'm hooked & my knowledge is growing. I like what I like but I like to think I can appreciate if a tattoo has been well executed or not regardless of whether it's in my taste. There are an awful lot of people with shit tattoos out there. I think it's hard not to be a snob albeit an inward one.I just smile & say yeah nice one ha ha.

And as for first timers I try to give them my best advice as to getting a good tattoo but I think invariably they don't listen or they don't want to wait a while for a good artist in which case what can you do!?

I agree with what someone said earlier, I rarely see people in the flesh with good tattoos & I get excited when I do! And someone tell me where all the hot tattooed girls are FFS cause I want one! Ha ha.

My best mate went to Borneo on honeymoon & had a big anchor on his calf. It was the first Western tattoo the guy had ever done & suffice to say its proper shit! But what can you say!? I think he knows it's shit. I would never be rude.

I am an amateur when it comes to tattoo knowledge but I was lucky enough to literally stumble on a circle of high end tattoo artists all of whom have given me quality tattoos. Now I'm hooked & my knowledge is growing. I like what I like but I like to think I can appreciate if a tattoo has been well executed or not regardless of whether it's in my taste. There are an awful lot of people with shit tattoos out there. I think it's hard not to be a snob albeit an inward one.I just smile & say yeah nice one ha ha.

And as for first timers I try to give them my best advice as to getting a good tattoo but I think invariably they don't listen or they don't want to wait a while for a good artist in which case what can you do!?

I agree with what someone said earlier, I rarely see people in the flesh with good tattoos & I get excited when I do! And someone tell me where all the hot tattooed girls are FFS cause I want one! Ha ha.

I'm hardly a tattoo snob and most of the local shops are quite good. As long as the tattoo basics are there, good solid line work, solid color, etc, the rest comes down to the wearer of the ink being happy with it. I've seen some really bad artwork in an otherwise well-executed tattoo. I saw one on the beach last week on a lady's back... a huge tat....an overall crappy tattoo in style and execution.

I'm not one to pick apart someone else's ink, unless they ask my advice.. what can I do with this? Some opt for a cut rate deal in a hole in the wall shop and get whet they pay for.

CG

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently called this twice in about a month...first time when someone tried to convince to give a shot at getting some work from the uh, 'less-than-stellar' shop her friend was working out of and I politely declined, and then when pointing out to an acquaintance that her forearm tattoo was upside down. I did feel kind of bad after this.

Whatever, I think people pull the 'snob' card when they realize you've one-upped them at something they thought they knew a lot about (tattoos, music, whatever...), but just don't want to admit it.

Never been called a tattoo snob to my face, but I know I am one. That said, I never diss anyone's tattoo, even if they ask me for my opinion. Everyone's tattoo has meaning to them, even if it's a piece of shit. Who am I to take away from that?

I will diss tattoos in the privacy of my own home/vehicle/whatnot with my husband, however (also a tattoo snob). I've also emailed my artist a couple particularly bad tattoos for fun too...... :)

While I imagine that most of the regular posters on this board are extremely discerning about the tattoos they put on their bodies (at least in terms of quality--perhaps not subject matter, haha), the idea of being a "tattoo snob" gives me douche chills.

Most of my friends are not really into tattoos, and so they are likely to come to me for advice if they are considering one, and I am absolutely happy to help--I want folks to get beautiful work and I want the awesome artists in this city to get the recognition they deserve. But as long as they're safe and clean I have no interest in being some great arbiter of whether or not their work passes my muster. They have to live with it.

I used to keep a book of bad tattoos people came in to have covered. There was an abundance of work by the same people. Sometimes when talking to people they tell you other shops they have went to or are thinking of checking out and if they seemed cool we would show them the book and stop them from going to certain shops. Until one day someone wrote a bad review of one of these shops on a review site and referenced our book of bad tattoos (even included shop name). Next day someone wrote a fake review about our shop, citing poor work and that they did a lot of cover up work from our shop, they also were trying to say that they were scarred after the tattoo but don't know how to spell so it says "the tattoo scared them". I wrote a short response but it's not the popular review site so I don't think many people have seen it even to this day. Needless to say we don't show that book much these days, and that shop has since gone out of business and owner left town. I would say that is the most snobby thing I have done.

I used to keep a book of bad tattoos people came in to have covered. There was an abundance of work by the same people. Sometimes when talking to people they tell you other shops they have went to or are thinking of checking out and if they seemed cool we would show them the book and stop them from going to certain shops. Until one day someone wrote a bad review of one of these shops on a review site and referenced our book of bad tattoos (even included shop name). Next day someone wrote a fake review about our shop, citing poor work and that they did a lot of cover up work from our shop, they also were trying to say that they were scarred after the tattoo but don't know how to spell so it says "the tattoo scared them". I wrote a short response but it's not the popular review site so I don't think many people have seen it even to this day. Needless to say we don't show that book much these days, and that shop has since gone out of business and owner left town. I would say that is the most snobby thing I have done.

This cracks me up a bit. I actually picked my first shop out by using the internet, but not LST. I used a review site and while the shop was bad, it wasn't the best. If you look up amazing shops they usually only have 1-3 reviews. This is why the only reason I use yelp or the like is to see if there are 20+ terrible reviews. It wouldn't stop me from going there, it would just make me cautious.

As far as snobbery goes, I guess I am a huge snob with beer, guns, metal, tattoos, cigars, and cars. There are two kinds of snobs. People who truly enjoy something and know a lot about it. They usually have a defined taste for whatever it is (be it tattoos, beer, etc) and like to talk about it. This comes off as "snobby" to people because you sound like you're name dropping, and talking down on certain things.

Then there are the real snobs (aka <insert> hipsters). These folks like to say "well if it isn't Chimay I wouldn't touch it", etc etc. A large majority of the time these real snobs don't really even know what they are talking about. They just like to sound more well informed than other people.

Call me a snob, I just know what I like!

This cracks me up a bit. I actually picked my first shop out by using the internet, but not LST. I used a review site and while the shop was bad, it wasn't the best. If you look up amazing shops they usually only have 1-3 reviews. This is why the only reason I use yelp or the like is to see if there are 20+ terrible reviews. It wouldn't stop me from going there, it would just make me cautious.

As far as snobbery goes, I guess I am a huge snob with beer, guns, metal, tattoos, cigars, and cars. There are two kinds of snobs. People who truly enjoy something and know a lot about it. They usually have a defined taste for whatever it is (be it tattoos, beer, etc) and like to talk about it. This comes off as "snobby" to people because you sound like you're name dropping, and talking down on certain things.

Then there are the real snobs (aka <insert> hipsters). These folks like to say "well if it isn't Chimay I wouldn't touch it", etc etc. A large majority of the time these real snobs don't really even know what they are talking about. They just like to sound more well informed than other people.

Call me a snob, I just know what I like!

If someone told me they drank Chimay I would be like "What year is it again?" The beer snob rears it's ugly head.

I have some serious yelper that likes our shop and we seem to get business for her. I still don't like the site, but wont' turn down the business.