Ever been called a tattoo snob?

lving4today

Think it's called Pho Oregon...

- - - Updated - - -

I know the place! That's one of my favorites. If you're ever in North Portland there's a good one up on Killingsworth near Jefferson high school.

You're kidding me?! Small world...there's another restaurant across the street and down a little way, kinda in a strip mall. You look at it, you think it's just a bar, and you used to have to walk through the bar to get in-I think they made an entrance into the restaurant itself awhile back. Another righteous place.

Course, there's the diner on SW 15th past where Sandy curves, right across from the "smoke-tower" by the tracks. ANother fine Portland establishment!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, but its ok. I like to work with guys who are cool with communicating enough to be able to handle some criticism I don't feel like its being a dick to be like.. Man, those lines didn't look like they were in there. Some may answer, I know, that outline kicked my ass or, I noticed that too, I tried a couple different setups and still struggled.... Others may just get defensive and swear they were fine. I've worked with some serious ball busters, and that really helped me to realize that quality counts.

I wasn't just called a tattoo snob per se, but a coworker took umbrage when I implored him to not add a suit and floppy tie to the very cool buffalo head he recently had done on his shoulder. He disagreed that doing so would A) completely sap the power of the image and/or B) come off as clever for cleverness' sake.

I told him, "It's your dermis." I was trying to give us both a conversational out, but that escalated things and he responded sarcastically with: "I'm glad you're okay with me getting the tattoos I want."

Ha! Oh, well. I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

I wasn't just called a tattoo snob per se, but a coworker took umbrage when I implored him to not add a suit and floppy tie to the very cool buffalo head he recently had done on his shoulder. He disagreed that doing so would A) completely sap the power of the image and/or B) come off as clever for cleverness' sake.

I told him, "It's your dermis." I was trying to give us both a conversational out, but that escalated things and he responded sarcastically with: "I'm glad you're okay with me getting the tattoos I want."

Ha! Oh, well. I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

next time suggest neon sunglasses.

Yeah I usually don't give design advice outside shop, for some reason it just feels more comfortable critiquing an idea in a tattoo shop, I just tell them they should come in and we can talk about it, and I feel if I can get people in the door and show them how cool a tattoo can be, there's more of a chance of leading them away from a bad idea. Still always shocked at what people think are good ideas for tattoos.

next time suggest neon sunglasses.

Yeah I usually don't give design advice outside shop, for some reason it just feels more comfortable critiquing an idea in a tattoo shop, I just tell them they should come in and we can talk about it, and I feel if I can get people in the door and show them how cool a tattoo can be, there's more of a chance of leading them away from a bad idea. Still always shocked at what people think are good ideas for tattoos.

Yeah, I told the guy that I really liked the buffalo head. It's a strong tattoo. When I asked him about filler--he's got pretty much the rest of his arm covered--I thought we were going to talk about stars and such. Didn't see that suit and tie thing coming.

I'm an everything snob. I mean that in the best way possible. By "snob" I mean I have standards. I don't see why that's some sort of insult now? Hippster makes me laugh too because it has SO many different meanings to different people. It's like a word people just throw at someone sometimes with no real insult. I've seen punks get called hippster. I've seen metal dudes get called hippster. It's so weird. I just like "douche bag" for someone who is one, no matter what their taste, and I use that. It covers all ranges.

Anyway, on to snobbing. I don't get the words, but I know they're there. It's another term where it's kind of random. For instance I know a lot of people who think they're "tattoo snobs" but I see what they like, and the quality is poor (not even just the design, the work, clearly done in some dude's kitchen) but then they have a "story" and it "means something" and they think they're better then me for getting a random, generic "Hot Stuff" tattoo off the wall done well in a real shop.

It's a weird topic because it's all SO subjective. My wife has a few random ones and gets looks from people who THINK they're snobs because (again) they were classic designs off the wall. But the people judging her, their criteria isn't quality of work (or even understanding of the history of the flash chosen) but "what it means" and "is it a custom or original?" Shit like that.

Anyway, having standards is awesome. I don't think I'm better than others because of them, I'm just glad I'm better then what I could have been without them. Sorry for the long winded ass post.

i have to start by saying what should be the obvious. tattoos are a very personal thing. you also have to remember that the choices people make in general are very personal things. so when you advise people adversely to there initial feelings it will be met with disdain. people will certainly get insulted when you tell them the choice they made or are about to make is a bad one. cause they in fact see it as an attack. so if you offer your unsolicited opinion you should expect it to be met with minor hostilities.

this will also bring me to make this statement. ive been around for a good while so ive seen plenty cause im a good observer. there indeed is a huge amount of snobbery surrounding tattooing. ive seen great tattooers get overlooked cause the masses are obsessed with a few individuals. not that those few individuals dont deserve the recognition cause they certainly do but others certainly get over looked just because theyve never been heard of. and that dismissal is certainly due to snobbery, you can see it in the faces of the dismissers.

anyway like many other things ive commented on i can go on for days but il stop here for now.

For sure. There are a few styles or trends I hate, but if it's done WELL, then I have nothing negative to say. I snob out on quality. Or counter-snob on assholes who think they know what they're talking about but only have like 2 tattoo's and they got them in a basement or from some hack and want to give me shit about my loose standards on content/meaning.

• 1 month later...

I don't often see bad tattoos. Maybe cuz I'm from LA? Maybe my standards aren't the highest but I don't think a tattoo is bad unless it's actually shitty. I'm not knowledgeable enough nor do I care enough to say someone has a "bad" tattoo just cuz couple lines are shaky or I don't like the shading. Most of the people I see walking around with ink have decent work done. For a tattoo to be "bad" something would have to stand out to me as noticeably poorly done.

I also understand of the hundreds of millions of people in America who get tattooed, not all of them are going to be so invested in their tattoo to look up the most expensive and most famous artists for their tattoo. I think it's a bit snobby to look down on the laypeople who don't have the desire, knowledge, or money to get tattoos from big name artists only.

That's kind of like expecting every person who drives a car to have a Ferrari.

I don't often see bad tattoos. Maybe cuz I'm from LA? Maybe my standards aren't the highest but I don't think a tattoo is bad unless it's actually shitty. I'm not knowledgeable enough nor do I care enough to say someone has a "bad" tattoo just cuz couple lines are shaky or I don't like the shading. Most of the people I see walking around with ink have decent work done. For a tattoo to be "bad" something would have to stand out to me as noticeably poorly done.

I also understand of the hundreds of millions of people in America who get tattooed, not all of them are going to be so invested in their tattoo to look up the most expensive and most famous artists for their tattoo. I think it's a bit snobby to look down on the laypeople who don't have the desire, knowledge, or money to get tattoos from big name artists only.

That's kind of like expecting every person who drives a car to have a Ferrari.

Im surrounded by bad tattoos. It seems to be the norm around here. The worse is when someone asks you for an opinion of their terrible tattoo. I never tell them its bad I smile and talk through my teeth. Oh yeah, that looks great, as I try to keep my eyes from rolling bad in my head. Ive been tempted to ask if they have been to the eye doctor lately, because I have no idea how they can be in love with some of the stuff I see. Just awful.