Los Angeles - Who are the best artists in town?

jacobhh

I just moved to the LA area was hoping to compile a list of the best tattooers in town. There seems to be a lot of west coasters around here so I thought this would be a good place to ask. I am mostly looking for American traditional (more traditional the better) but am also a big fan of Mr. X style black work. Let me know if this is in the wrong category. Thanks!

I can't believe people are asking questions like this.

Please excuse my ignorance...

Yes I know about Spotlight, Gold Rush, Dark Horse, and stuff like that, I was just looking for maybe some lesser known shops because there seem to be literally 100s out here.

Please excuse my ignorance...

Yes I know about Spotlight, Gold Rush, Dark Horse, and stuff like that, I was just looking for maybe some lesser known shops because there seem to be literally 100s out here.

If you already know about those shops--for my money, some of the best shops anywhere for traditional--then I wouldn't worry too much about lesser-known shops. Because you're right: there are hundreds of them in LA.

• 3 years later...

Anyone know of the likelihood of a good walk in shop in LA? Obviously there are some killer shops, but I'm not 100% sure how my trip is going to go. I know Dark Horse and Spotlight etc are great, but I don't know about availability. I'll probably call as it gets closer, but trying to get a little guidance first. I'll be flying out in February.

Good to know. Sometimes you have these ideas about shops as hard to get into, but it turns out wait lists aren't bad or walk ins are plentiful. And sometimes it's the opposite. Haha. Just figured I'd see if anyone had experience. Thanks, @daveborjes.

For what it's worth, I saw a video interview with Bob Roberts somewhere and he said that you can usually get tattooed by him with a couple of weeks notice. I don't have any first hand experience with him, so take that as you will, because the internet, but I wouldn't assume that it's necessarily difficult to get tattooed at these shops. Never hurts to call and see.

• 4 weeks later...