How to plan for NY?

lving4today

Now that I'm traveling more, I'd really like to visit new York but I'm not exactly sure how to budget or how many days to stay, etc.

For those that have visited there, how many days did you stay, estimated budget (if you mind sharing) was it enough?

Obviously it'd be a tattoo trip but man I wouldn't know what all to do. Never been to a big city before

Share thoughts and stories

Well being that I'm always in NYC I can't help you with travel (ask @Iwar he seemed to have found a cool place to stay), I can help with "things to do".

NYC is as cheap or as expensive as you make it. You can eat and drink cheaper in NYC if you know where to go than you can in NJ. If you're looking to save money avoid the "tourist trap" areas. Example:

TGI Fridays Time Square (Burger $20 and is sub-par), Stouts Pub near Penn Station (Bill for a few beers and burger will run you average $30 before tip. I go there sometimes due to proximity to Penn).

To eat on the cheap you can do what I do: Example

In Lower East Side my favorite part of Manhattan I go to Mikey's Burgers ($5 for the best burger you can get) plus Iggy's is $3 guiness all day (but a dive to the definition). You can also get some good brews at my favorite craft pub Top Hops down the street. Street food is amazing if you hit the right ones and very very cheap. Sam's Falafel (in the occupy wall street park) is $6 bucks for WAYY more amazing falafel than you can eat. Just remember food prices are all over the place in NYC, and price does not scale with quality all the time. With street food the longer line almost always means amazing food!

Get an unlimited metro card. They work for buses and subways. They are your ticket around NYC. The subways run through the entire city and are usually pretty fast (way cheaper than a cab). Grab a NYC subway map app (NYC Subway Map App) for you phone and you are golden. Manhattan to Brooklyn can be a bitch depending on where you are going (if you go there). L train goes to Williamsburg and 2/3/A/C goes to the rest of Brooklyn, I usually get into Brooklyn then take a cab once there if need be.

As far as places to go I might be a bad person to talk to as I avoid all the "tourist places" as I've been there done that when I was younger. I usually try to get people to see "real NYC" and go off the beaten path. You get to explore the awesome factor that NYC has SOOO much to offer. This also goes to say that the only problem with NYC is there are too many options. I've been here for over 2 decades and still am finding new and amazing shit all the time.

If you've never been to a big city before prepare to be overwhelmed a bit. NYC is one of the biggest cities out there. This is not a problem though as you can skip a whole bunch if you want to.

As far as getting tattooed...again WAY too many awesome options. Some tattoo shops to check out (not in any order). I would call ahead in case they are booked out.

Invisible NYC

Saved

Thicker Than Water

Three Kings Tattoo

Daredevil

Bailey Hunter Robinson (Although you can't really just swing by)

Smith Street

Places to eat/drink (that I like)

Top Hops (Fancy beer, good prices and down the street from Invisible NYC)

Sam's Falafel Cart (Also surrounded by 10+ really good carts in a park)

Mikey's Burgers (Best burgers I've ever had, old-school new york style and also around the corner from Invisible NYC)

Burger, Shot, Beer (never checked it out yet but it sounds really fun!)

Two Brothers Pizza (these are all over NYC and while not the best pizza its $0.75 to a $1 a slice...not bad!)

Adrienne's Pizza Bar (not NYC pizza but stupid awesome tasting)

I might have left some stuff out. @gougetheeyes you got anything to add?

Awesome man, real informative. Some tourist sights I may HAVE to see but for eats and brew, I always prefer the natives advice in any city. Plus dive bars are my preference. I was worried about costs of food/drinks.

How long would you recommend a minimum stay? I feel a week would be a good start. And I would definitely have to get more than one tattoo while there

Awesome man, real informative. Some tourist sights I may HAVE to see but for eats and brew, I always prefer the natives advice in any city. Plus dive bars are my preference. I was worried about costs of food/drinks.

How long would you recommend a minimum stay? I feel a week would be a good start. And I would definitely have to get more than one tattoo while there

In a week you can get some stuff done for sure, but like I said you can stay for a year and never see 10% of the city! Best way to break it down is to see what you want to do.

If you want 1 tattoo, consider that day is going to be a non-tourist day. So for 2 tattoos consider 2 days tattoo days and the other "tourist" days.

Also forgot to mention. The cost of a hotel will probably be by far the most expensive part of the trip (aside from tattoos).

Additional Threads/Blogs/Resources

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/2557-good-walk-shops-nyc.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/2506-traveling-tattoos-link-threads-blogs.html (My guide to all travel tattoo related threads and blogs)

Priceline or Hotwire a hotel, and it will be much cheaper than any other option. I lived there for three years eating well and drinking constantly for very little money. I think Slayers advice was really good. The only thing I would add to it is Flyrite tattoo, and Greenpoint Tattoo. Mike Lucena at Flyrite, and Chuck Donaghue at Greenpoint are two great NYC tattooers that you don't hear about nearly as often as you should.

Check out https://www.airbnb.com/ You can stay in a locals place,and get the inside scoop on the city.

As far as food,i like the cheap eats in chinatown,and the lower east side. Serious Eats: New York - The New York City Food and Restaurant Blog is a good site.I was in Chinatown last Saturday,and had 5 dumplings for 1.25 at Tasty Dumpling on Mulberry St.And some good noodles at Xi'an Famous Food on E.Broadway.

I like to hit the Smorgasburg on Saturday in Williamsburg. Markets « Brooklyn Flea

Sometimes i take the water ferry from South Street Seaport to the smorgasburg. New York Attractions - NY Waterway

You can rent a bike and ride the hudson river park path that goes up to the GWB. Home | Hudson River Park

You can take a walk on the high line,then get a bite to eat at Chelsea Market. The High Line

chelseamarket

I would probably wait till the last day to get tattooed,so you don't have to worry about keeping it clean while in the city.

Some more shops to overwhelm you..

Professional Tattooing Blog they hired two more artists,so you can probably do a walk-in here.

Red Rocket Tattoo New York City they have some good traditional tattooers.

And for the real NYC experience,go check out Mike Perfetto in Brooklyn.

I stayed at the New York Loft Hostel in Brooklyn, in one of their 3 bed dorms, from Friday night to Monday mid-day. It was only 65 dollars per night (it's 60 during the week), and the rooms are pretty nice. No frills, but who needs them if you are going to be out and about in the city? They did have a free BBQ on Sunday, though.

I spent about 1800 dollars all told. It was enough for me, but I didn't go out to bars, or do much shopping.

You can read about my whole trip in the travel blog I posted. I liked all the places that I went to eat at save for the sushi place.

Also, as far as planning before the trip, I looked up places on yelp and here, and basically planned out what I would do each day before I got there. it worked out well since I had a good idea of where everything was.

Also, avoid taxis and town cars, especially coming and going from the airport. The subway system is great, and you can walk just about anywhere once you get to a general area by train.

The only thing I wish I would have done was to have my trip in the winter. I would really liked to have seen the city with snow everywhere. I'm used to Bay Area weather (i.e. not humid, temperate, never too hot, at least in my town), so the humidity and heat was a little much for me.

A place to stay is what's going to really soak you in NYC. When I visit and am spending my own money, I've enjoyed the character of the Chelsea Hotel. It's not fancy, but interesting - and right down in the middle of most of it.

Chelsea Hotel (New York City, NY) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Pretty sure the Hotel Chelsea closed as a hotel a year or so ago, they're turning it into condos or some shit. There used to be a tattoo shop in one of its store fronts. A shame nobody can stay there anymore, it was seedy and had a lot of history and character.

Pretty sure the Hotel Chelsea closed as a hotel a year or so ago, they're turning it into condos or some shit. There used to be a tattoo shop in one of its store fronts. A shame nobody can stay there anymore, it was seedy and had a lot of history and character.

Not only that, it was only about $150/night!

Sorry to hear that news . . .

That shit gives me a borderline anxiety attack. BUT, you're right, lots of awesome food and can be fun if you just put your blinders on.

Yeah,it does get crazy there,but there's some good people watching,and after you fill up the stomach,i take a ride back over the Williamsburg Bridge,and try to burn some calories off.

Interesting...I'm flying out to NYC for a bit over a week at the end of the month, having lived there during my childhood/teens, I know the city well enough, but I haven't been there in over 10 years, so I'm way out of touch with the million changes it has gone through since...I know a bunch of stuff/places I want to show my gf (who has never even been to the US), but It'd be cool if somebody could point me in the direction of good places to shell out my hard earned cash in exchange for records, books, and fashionable menswear.

Interesting...I'm flying out to NYC for a bit over a week at the end of the month, having lived there during my childhood/teens, I know the city well enough, but I haven't been there in over 10 years, so I'm way out of touch with the million changes it has gone through since...I know a bunch of stuff/places I want to show my gf (who has never even been to the US), but It'd be cool if somebody could point me in the direction of good places to shell out my hard earned cash in exchange for records, books, and fashionable menswear.

Record store New York

You can do a search for books,and menswear too.

Time Out New York | New York Events, Activities & Things To Do

An alternative view of New York |*Forgotten New York

Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

Personally when I go to NYC its usually with my wife and its only to get tattooed. Hostels and some of the places air b and b offer are just not for us. When I get tattooed I need a clean/good shower and a nice bed, privacy and a TV to veg out to....plus I love hotels But most of the hotels are FUCKING INSANE EXPENSIVE. We mostly go to saved tattoo so I found this place and Ive been going ever since. If you plan ahead and dont go during peak seasons ive gotten then rooms for 105-150 a night and the rooms are really nice IMO. Its also blocks away from saved tattoo.

Brooklyn Hotels, NYC Boutique Hotel Accommodation ? Hotel Le Jolie

also, I read this and wanted to try some of these hotels:

Recommended Cheap Hotels in NYC | New York City Travel on About.com

But around 2009/2010 some friends got mauled by bedbugs a 1 (maybe 2) of these on the list. They told me it was horrible so I just stay with my old favorite.

Also, I know its not high end food but after I get tattooed I need some M NOODLE (down the street from saved).

Yeah, I know how to work my way around the internet ;-) , I was just fishing for more personalized tips. Thanks anyway!

Alright lets see if i can do you better.With an avatar like rarehardtofind,you must be someone of discerning taste.

Black Gold Records You have to be ultra hip just to walk into this store.The owner Dan works next door at Smith St.Tattoo if you wan't to get a vintage tat banger.

Shirts & Destroy | Home Forget about The Ed Hardy Store,unless you like rhinestones on your clothes.

Another store where you have to wear skinny jeans just to walk through the door.

Bookstore Cafe — Locations — Housing Works

Vintage books & coffee,what more do you wan't?

Moo Shoes - Vegan Shoes NYC

And if your a vegan,and don't like to wear animals on your feet,this is the place to find all your non leather needs.

I hope i did you right this time..Make sure you like this.

• 2 weeks later...
That shit gives me a borderline anxiety attack. BUT, you're right, lots of awesome food and can be fun if you just put your blinders on.

Heh, i was just there last weekend. I keep going for the lobster roll but the line is always so long i say fuck it and hit something else instead. One of these days i'm gonna get that lobster!