In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

Yeah, I agree, antihistamines are very useful. I find they help reduce the post session swelling as well as being good for the healing itch later.

That said, I've never been as happy to be itchy as I am with the this tattoo, was beginning to feel like it'd never come.

whenever it gets itchy i just apply some lotion, and that seems to soothe it... speaking of which, ihave a question. so i got tattood a week and 2 days ago. first 3-4 days i used aquaphor. now, i lotion a few times a day. its starting to flake/peel, at what point should i stop the lotion? or do i continue until its actually all healed up and not peeling anymore?

There are a number of differing opinions on the best aftercare methods @seattleite; you can peruse the aftercare sub-forum and see all the things members have already written on the subject. Some like a little lotion here and there, others prefer specialized products, while others forego meddling altogether with the "dry heal" method.

For your first tattoo I'd generally recommend following your tattooers instructions to the letter, they should know what works best for their own method of tattooing, and until you know what works best for you you probably shouldn't experiment too much.

Stuff about healing my first tattoo that I am noticing, and did not expect, for whatever reason:

Why do I cut corners in my house so closely? It has taken me having a tattoo on my shoulder to notice that I basically dive-bomb my doorframes. WTF?

Goosebumps + healing tattoo = AAAAH

The best feeling in the world is when I get to air dry it after it gets washed. Yessss. So nice and cool.

My newest tattoo is currently in the peeling stage. Can I just say that I hate putting lotion on peeling skin it feels so icky ugh. I put lotion on it in the morning and that's it.

Thankfully my artist instructions were no ointment, and start putting on a light amount of lotion after 3 days. Easy, low-maintenance healing routine. Can't argue with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and start putting on a light amount of lotion after 3 days. Easy, low-maintenance healing routine. Can't argue with that.

Yeah, this is my 5th(ish) tattoo, and I've healed it differently than all the others. Aquaphor for the first couple days, then nothing for a couple days, then a light layer of lotion for a few days, and on and off whenever it looks/feels like it needs it.

I have to say, other than the swelling, it has been the nicest healing process by far. It barely itches!

I'm surprised how well my leg tattoo is healing. With past tattoos I've removed the wrap after 4 hours and then dry-healed whilst cleaning it 2-3 times per day. This one I left the wrapping on for 12 hours (tattooist's recommendation) and have barely got any scabbing so far. Not sure if it's because it's a less meaty area or what, but I'm happy.

I'm surprised how well my leg tattoo is healing. With past tattoos I've removed the wrap after 4 hours and then dry-healed whilst cleaning it 2-3 times per day. This one I left the wrapping on for 12 hours (tattooist's recommendation) and have barely got any scabbing so far. Not sure if it's because it's a less meaty area or what, but I'm happy.

I've never found my leg to be too bad, aside from quite a lot of swelling. I guess different people react differently so maybe i've been lucky in that regard.

hooray...fruity pebble stage

Call me silly, but I always like this stage (and I'm at fruity pebble right now, too). Every time I see the mess on the floor, the colors are different, and it makes me smile when I think of what parts of the tattoo are that color and I get all excited looking forward to seeing it healed. :-)

Call me silly, but I always like this stage (and I'm at fruity pebble right now, too). Every time I see the mess on the floor, the colors are different, and it makes me smile when I think of what parts of the tattoo are that color and I get all excited looking forward to seeing it healed. :-)

i actually like it too...and the smooth skin that comes out...but i could do w/o the itchy phase :)

and your back is beautiful!

Going into 5th day post back of neck slam. Just the final stage of flake to fall off now.

Today will be the only slightest bit of cetaphil to assist with the dryness now. Gotta love healing easy.

My only dilemma now is...I've realised I need to slam the rest of my neck in up to the jawline & have absolutely no idea what to put in there. I've virtually come to a stand still.

I'll get back to this upper thigh and seek inspiration from under the machine I think.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

The peony tattoo on my inner thigh that I got from Wendy Pham a couple of weeks ago is healing amazingly fast and well.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/15-latest-tattoo-lowdown-page659.html

I've never had a tattoo heal this fast, no scabbing and barely any flaking. Only the slightest of itching with little to no color loss. It's so smooth I'm completely baffled as to if it was Wendy's light touch or how the inner thigh skin is naturally smooth or a combo of both. I think a few more days and it'll be completely healed! Crazy!

FYI, the tattoo was finished at night about 7PM and wrapped in saran wrap. I slept with the wrap overnight per my usual regiment. Woke up in the morning, lightly peeled off the wrap and showered. Washed the tattoo lightly with antibacterial soap. Light Aquaphor for two days, twice a day then switch to lotion. Again, all usual to my routine.

Going into 5th day post back of neck slam. Just the final stage of flake to fall off now.

Today will be the only slightest bit of cetaphil to assist with the dryness now. Gotta love healing easy.

My only dilemma now is...I've realised I need to slam the rest of my neck in up to the jawline & have absolutely no idea what to put in there. I've virtually come to a stand still.

Would not have wanted to ride behind you in the skin shower the past few days! I don't know about you, but the helmet chin strap is irritating enough without it being over fresh ink. Also consider how it might wear the ink. Of course in some places you can ride without a lid, but I wouldn't be able to make myself go fast enough without it to satisfy my needs! That shark is worth protecting!

Thru the ether from my LP2

Four days into healing my first tattoo. Dry-scabby-ouch, but no flaking off yet, and I woke up this morning with a surprise sinus infection. When I get sick like that, my skin gets so sensitive that breathing on it hurts. You can imagine how well that's going over with the brand-new ink.

Also, it's suprisingly difficult to keep my inquisitive three-year-old away from it. There's been a lot of "ouchie, don't touch, just look" going on here since Saturday.