In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

Not picking, not picking, not picking... Some of the scabs around the edges have fallen off on their own and some of the ones nearer the middle are loose, but I am trying very hard to be good about leaving them alone. Partly because every time I look like I might touch it, my little three-year-old parrots back to me what I told her when I first got it: "Don't touch, just look!"

I've seen a couple all-natural-type aftercare balms that have tea tree oil in them, but I haven't found much about healing tattoos with tea tree oil alone or as the only essential oil in a carrier oil. A couple anecdotal stories here and there, but most people seem to be of the opinion that typically-recommended lotions like Lubriderm or Aquaphor or Eucerin are the gold standard. (My artist recommended Lubriderm, so that's what I've been using, but I am seriously researching Saniderm and similar products for the next one.)

I accidentally scratched my elephant today. I've been keeping the itch at bay by very lightly scratching about around the tattoo, but this afternoon I wasn't paying attention and instead went right over the spot where it was itching. The top layer of the thickest scabs came off, but thankfully most of it was undisturbed. Even with most of the scabs being still intact, it is MAD at me. I put on a little more lotion to help calm it down but it's still a little sore.

@OnyxRose - try smacking the tattoo instead. It helps with the itch, and if you can train yourself to unconsciously SMACK instead of unconsciously SCRATCH, you're golden! (A while back I was talking with a co-worker and found myself unconsciously smacking my ribs and not realize I was doing it... lol. I ended up sharing why I was behaving so strangely :) ) But it works.

I've tried that, but my skin is still tender there and all it does it make it hurt. I don't have any frame of reference as far as tattoo healing goes because this is my first, so I don't know if it's just how I heal, but the skin sensitivity due to illness has been gone for a couple days, and it's just right there that hurts anymore. It's fine putting lotion on and washing it, but I tried slapping insteach of scratching yesterday and decided scratching around it was less painful. I just have to pay more attention, because ow.

Most of the sick is gone, too, just a lingering bit of tonsillitis left. I still can't eat much but jello and soup broth, and I've dropped seven pounds in five days, but I can breathe, hear, and speak!

Ugh - that sucks. I hope you feel better soon. You can also lightly run your fingernails on the shirt right over the tattoo. I know what you mean about scratching around it - yup. I just had a session last night so I'm in the "lay on my belly with an ice back on my back" stage. My smacking advice would be extremely ill-advised right now!;)

The last of the scabs fell off on their own this morning. So now it's at that "hazy glazed-over" look and some of the lower parts are starting to do the sunburn peeling thing. Not touching, not touching, not touching... Well, at least the peeling is less noticeable than the scabbing when the skin is adequately hydrated, so if I keep up with the lotion now it will be easier mentally to Not Touch.

I'm gonna give it another week or so and then go visit my guy to have him look it over. It looks a little patchy in a couple spots to me, but that might just be the healing stage. I'll give it until all the peeling is done before I go in.

• 2 weeks later...

Had more work done on my peonies yesterday. The first set didn't scab at all, just went straight to sunburn peeling, so I'm curious to see if the new color lower down on my back behaves the same way. Always feel like I got in a fender bender the day after a session--I guess I'm not as relaxed as I think when I'm lying there, lol.

So I just got work on the back of my leg above the ditch. Was told to keep it wrapped overnight (finished at 6pm) then not put anything on it for first 3 days. it's day number 2 and finally plasma stopped leaking all over the place.

first time doing this, so my question is can anyone confirm if the pain will last longer with this semi-dry heal method?

Healing 3 tattoos at the moment. What is wrong with me.

I'm just healing 1 but it covers chest, ribs, stomach, and thigh. Sooooo many skin flakes. Keep telling my girlfriend that I want to wait just one more day to start vacuuming them all up. No point in vacuuming today if more will be falling off tomorrow.

Got some more work done to my half-sleeve.

Near the elbow was a little sensitive and ended up scabbing a small bit. Surprised me since I didn't scab last time.

Both times now, the only thing that bothered me were the damn bumps/pimples that show up from getting the area shaved.

PIA.

Hey guys, i got a tattoo 1 week ago and recently i noticed a little excess ink on the left edges of the tattoo. also a little in the bottom. its hardly noticeable without flashlight, but it bugs me out. is it normal to have this much 'spill(?)' or should i go for a touchup. its my first tattoo, so i appreciate any kind of help. thanks. it's a 5cm tattoo btw.