In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

I'm tired as shit, hubby was traveling all week so I didn't sleep at all then sat for 5 on my arm yesterday. Between the damn dogs and cats last night I think I spent most of the time holding my arm in the air. Grrr super grump today and I'm sore as shit too. Waaaaaa!

I'm tired as shit, hubby was traveling all week so I didn't sleep at all then sat for 5 on my arm yesterday. Between the damn dogs and cats last night I think I spent most of the time holding my arm in the air. Grrr super grump today and I'm sore as shit too. Waaaaaa!

Sounds like a glass of wine (or whiskey), a nice hot shower, an ibuprofen and a nap are called for!

@cltattooing - I've been using ice packs for the itch too, works great. The itch is the worst. I've also used a bristle brush (soft body one) and gently rubbed it over especially badly itchy areas (over clothing, not on the fresh tattoo). That helps a bit as well. Icing is the best, even if it does slow healing time down some. Edited by Fala
grammar

@cltattooing I've also used a bristle brush (soft body one) and gently rubbed it over especially badly itchy areas (over clothing, not on the fresh tattoo). That helps a bit as well.

I second this. I run my fingernails lightly over my clothing and that helps. It's not a true scratching but it really helps. Maybe part of that is psychological!

Totally came down with an ass kicker of a cold after last week, but I think I'm getting better. Also the itch is so next level on this piece, I know it's only the tip of the iceberg. Sigh

I'm sick too! Maybe I got sick at FTW... I blame Joe.

Day 6 of my foot been blasted. lots of itching... Somewhat uncomfortable and still on a bit of pain... Some parts of the gem are turning kind of orange red and seems to be all healing "ok" stop using saniderm today and now back to socks and aquaphore for this one..

• 2 weeks later...

First tattoo yesterday and I'm having no fluids (blood or otherwise), no visible scabbing yet, no discomfort at all.

Artist put some gel substance on, and plastic wrap. Told me to take it off after at least two hours. Then no further coverings and only some aquaphor or lubriderm Thursday.

I assume that the healing process also depends on the artist's technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had my 3rd session of a shoulder to shoulder chest piece and good lord was it awful to heal that up, then to top it off, I used a cream I'm allergic to so of course, I broke out in little red itchies and we had to out the next session off until next week ? but its soooo worth it!!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Got the back of my thigh done a week ago and inside calf done today. I usually get tattoos timed pretty far apart..having the sunburn feeling on one leg and itch on the other is interesting. So far back of thigh bled a lot more in the first 3hrs, and got a nice yellow bruise halo over the weekend. I guess I can compare the progress.

Posted this in another thread a few days ago, but haven't gotten any responses. I'm getting my next tattoo on my inner/front bicep on July 20th and I'm considering doing Warrior Dash August 9th. (Warrior Dash is a 3 mile mud run/obstacle course type thing.) I should be okay, right?

I only have recent healing experience from my calf which I don't want to use to judge for arm-healing time.

@L2DB

Should be totally fine with so much time to heal inbetween. If possible, perhaps you want to put some bandage or something over it during the race just to shield it from the dirtyness in excess. I believe that in that stage of healing only sun light and lotions loaded with chemicals will hurt your tattoo. Sweating is probably good, and a pinch of naturally dirty water is nothing to be nervous about.

In 2013 I went to Iceland less a week after getting my inner thigh tattooed, camped in tents and swam in numerous hot springs over the following 10 days. It healed perfect.

Just got another piece done on my wrist/forearm area and I think a scab came off too early :( Scab peeled off and instead of that milky dead skin over the ink, the ink is very bright and vibrant. I don't think it had a chance to grow that extra layer over it. I think this has happened to me before and it ended up healing okay, but it always makes me so nervous

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got tips for healing the rash/irritation/scabs from my reaction to Tegaderm? The tattoo itself is slightly tender, but the adjacent areas are super painful! I've been hesitant to put anything on it, just washing as normal but no creams/ointments/lotion. The tattoo has pretty thick scabs that are starting to crack and bleed, ugh. Day 6, mostly dry healing. Fun times!