In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

Day 8, when the majority of the scabs have gone, and my brand new black looks just as blue as it did before I had it refreshed. Oh, the joy. How long does THIS last?

You might have to do a secondary peel. 8 days isn't very long yet, so don't get worried. There is likely still a think layer of skin making things look hazy that has to come off so give it some time. (My scabs, and I got at least a little one or two every session, generally took 2 weeks to fall off. The haziness can last longer too.)

Holy immune response, Batman.

I knew 'tattoo flu' was a thing, but I had never been more than tired/cold/hungry after one. I had the works last night, though. Body aches, chills, plugged sinuses/post-nasal drip, upset stomach, mild fever. A hot bath really helped, and so did staying warm under the covers, but oh, man. That was gross. I thought I was going to have to extend my stay. Much better this morning, though! Some coffee/OJ and breakfast will get me home.

I can't imagine traveling on a plane or driving a long distance feeling like that, and I know people must have done it. My hat is off to you.

I'm on day 5 with my newest addition and the peeling is in full swing now. I actually had to wear a long sleeved shirt today to work because it looks so nasty. Every time I move my arm at all I get fruity pebbles flying everywhere, I like to gross out my boyfriend with them. :) Today's also the first day with zero pain, no more rawness or bruising (I had some pretty insane bruising around my elbow that I thought would never go away).

<sighs> Fucking damn thing, fucking hurts. Worse than the one I got done on other calf. Doing usual after care routine plus keeping it raised as much as possible. It's helping to keep swelling of ankle down. Bruised to fuck and aside from ankle v little swelling. Taking regular painkillers. Will be ok, will be worth it, but fuck it hurts!

This is my biggest tattoo in a really sensitive area, so I'm kind of blaming this on that...but I'm about 75% done peeling (just two or three thicker scabs and really thin, sunburn-y type peeling in a couple spots) and noticing that the new skin is SUPER sensitive. Just my shirt rubbing against it is really annoying and slightly painful. Never had this before so I don't know what to make of it. This is also the first tattoo where actually getting it was a breeze (except for when he crept into the armpit!) and the healing has been more painful. Weird.

Two days after upper arm piece and first time with Tegaderm use. I have to say I think this is the way to go for me. At the very least it makes life easier in terms of keeping bedding clean and not having to worry about slipping clothes on and off - it is like a slippery shield of protection.

Edit: Nevermind. Just went to make the bed. White sheets and duvet. Black and red stained plasma leaked out of the top of the Tegaderm. Fuck.

Second session on ribs: two and a half hours, much much more pleasant than the first session! Probably due to being more shading and colour than lining. I felt like I started to get in the zone a bit more and enjoy the experience which is something I have never felt during any my other tattoos. Could have sat for longer. :)

Healing is a right pain though, incredibly itchy as I type this, about to go on lunch and clean it and whack some goo on.

After getting my shin/lower leg demolished for 3.5-4 hours on Friday, my leg is the size of a tree trunk!!

Really? Mine didn't swell that much! Mind you I was popping painkillers/anti-inflammatory every four hours for the first week after tattoo was done. Keep your leg elevated as much as possible. It is what I did with all my leg tattoos.

My new tattoo still hurts, though am down to taking painkillers twice daily now, swelling not much more than when got it done. ankle swelling calmed down a lot. can feel skin tightening and that weird thing that feels like your skin is about to all peel off when you move your leg. It feels like skin is lifting off the body and then floats back down again. Only noticed it on calf tattoos. Bruising... heavy bruising, but it is healing normally so not worried about the pain factor.

Few hours ago, noticed it's now at the "dry, flaky stage" Bepanthen is my best friend. V dry on Vader's body.

Mine hit that stage yesterday, and is almost all flaked off today. I use the artist's own concoction that seems to work real well for me. The secret, I do believe - is using the minimal for coverage, and then blotting any excess off with a tissue.

I was tattooed on Sunday, and today the peeling is already almost over. It's super itchy, though! There is one spot that is a little scabby. I think the skin keeps rebreaking when I move my arm. I'm just leaving it alone and hope that it will be okay.

Happy to be healing, but I'm a little bummed out that the tattoo isn't as precise as I had hoped. There are little imperfections that I never noticed before: lines that are too shallow (they look like several thin lines instead of one thick line), and places where a solid black line doesn't end cleanly and faintly trails off.

Healing has been such an emotional rollercoaster!

I got my adventure time tattoo this past April... It's still not healed. Did I do something wrong? I used aquaphor, lotion, and cleaned it with tattoo goo but it's such a weird colour and it's all spotty in places. Do you think I need to get it redone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk