In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

This is my first time doing the dry heal. I did a warm shower the next morning with a very light coat of redemption. Patted it dry and didn't put anything on it or even shower until next morning. No oozed at all. Day 3 started the lubriderm once patted almost dry in the morning and before bed. No scabbing or oozing and I am almost completely peeled on day eight. I noticed the more showers in the first 2 days, regardless how quick would create a little seeping afterwards.

I remember my dad telling me that when in the navy (Korean War) the guys would find out you had a fresh tattoo they would hit or slap it. Combine that with no real after care and I have to feel for those guys back then.

My boss did that to me the morning after I got my whole sternum tattooed. Gave me a massive heavy hand slap right on it. Pain was silly nasty. I suppose that's the price you pay when your boss tattoos you for free haha!

My leg's tiger was completed 5 days ago. I removed the plastic wrap 5 hours later and cleaned it with a soap from my wife's clinic as usual. I then used Saniderm overnight for the plasma stage and replaced it the next morning. I left the new Saniderm on for 4 days.

Wow, what an overall improvement compared to the past when I used triple antibiotic ointment the next day followed by aquaphor. The tattoo felt much less sensitive and didn't leak on any sheets or clothes. Not even the slightest sign of infection or edema. It was nice since nothing needed to be done.

I couldn't remember the name of the soap until later. Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser

This is great stuff any time you need to clean your hands or fresh tattoo that can even be used as a surgical hand scrub, but there is no pain. You can find it at most any pharmacy.

500.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My last couple of leg tattoos have gotten pretty scabby - in that the whole thing is just one big scab. Hitting the week mark now and looks like this one will be a slow healer as its holding onto its dead skin pretty dearly and doesn't want to shed that first layer yet. That being said, I had it done at the Australian Tattoo and Body Art Expo so I was walking around the city all night on it. Spent my day off yesterday trying to stay off my feet as much as possible because all the standing up and running around I have to do for work has not been helping the healing process much either.

My last couple of leg tattoos have gotten pretty scabby - in that the whole thing is just one big scab. Hitting the week mark now and looks like this one will be a slow healer as its holding onto its dead skin pretty dearly and doesn't want to shed that first layer yet. That being said, I had it done at the Australian Tattoo and Body Art Expo so I was walking around the city all night on it. Spent my day off yesterday trying to stay off my feet as much as possible because all the standing up and running around I have to do for work has not been helping the healing process much either.

my leg tattoos arent ever fully settled till bout the 6 week mark

Yeah, leg tattoos are tough heals for me, and they swell like crazy. I actually just got my thigh tattooed yesterday and it looks like I got kicked in the thighs by Jose Aldo for two hours. Oops, too soon?

I have read that a lot about leg tattoos,I have many tattoos from my ankles to above my knees,and I guess I have been lucky,I have never had any swelling on my legs.

@marley mission That sounds like a pain in the arse! I'd say with a few of mine the lines were still a bit raised and still had that stretched-skin, shiny look by 4-6 weeks. For me it seems the lower down the leg they've been the more trouble they have given me. This one is definetly the longest even though its only little but its starting to peel at the edges now so hopefully not too much longer at the ugly stage! Haha

@suburbanxcore All of my leg tattoos except for my which sits right up the top of my thigh (and is only black and grey lines and some shading) have swelled like absolute crazy. I have a pre-exsisting foot injury which causes me to be in pain walking around at work sometimes, and when I came into work the day after having it done and was limping around my boss asked if my injury was acting up again.