In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

My scabs started to come of slowly and then I had to go accidently kick a box at work right in the centre of my scabby bits and it hurt so bad. Right now of got a few bits hanging of my leg that I'm not touching haha.

@Synesthesia definetly seconding you on wanting it do be done and over with

Got a foot tattoo Friday.Im supposed to get the other one done in two weeks.Nope postponing for a while longer.This is a Bitch.

I tattooed my foot four days ago, it still looks inflated. And it hurts like hell every time I crawl down from the sofa, but only for the first few minutes when the blood rushes through it.

• 2 weeks later...

My gripe with the back tattoo is that I really can't monitor it nor reach back to clean and lotion it. My wife does it but has no idea about how a tattoo is supposed to look. I just can't wait to be able to go back to sleeping on my back and grappling for workouts.

So I've been healing the dragon fist/wrist tattoo that I got on Dec.30. It's proving to be the most challenging heal I've had.

The whole thing is a scabby, like it's been cracking, oozing and bleeding for 2 weeks straight. Likely because of the nature of the hand skin and design and I'm stuck in a Canadian winter - so it's cold, dry, and the tattoo rubs on jackets and gloves. The A&D isn't helping, it burns and is clogging hair follicles. It's also on my right hand which hasn't helped (i.e. movement, hand shakes, etc).

I've had some rough heals before and have lost little chunks here and there but this one is extra stressful because it is on my hand and so visible.

...however I haven't given up hope and pray to the tattoo Gods...now what's blowing my mind is that it doesn't look like any ink loss and it's starting to finally flake (over and over and over!), which I can't rationalize! Proving once again, Steve Batt's tattoo technique is some kind of black magic sorcery!!!

This is also a lesson in why hand tattoos are not entry-level placement.

good luck @bongsau wit the heal - i felt my forearm heals were the toughest heals for two of the reasons you just stated - first - that skin thats been beaten up by sun / general exposure to the world - second - its visible so you constantly have it in your face - like watching the pot waiting for it to boil - you're best best is to leave it be - maybe get another tattoo to take your mind off it - it'll heal eventually

must be awkward giving out those scabby shakes ;)

must be awkward giving out those scabby shakes ;)
not for me, haha! actually i've had some enthusiastic grippers, sometimes I forget it's there. i generally lean on the dry side of healing. this heal is pretty intense.

it's interesting, cause I think the budderfly on the back of my neck/head (which healed like a peach superfast!) is a little more aggressive placement, but people only see it when I walk away. this one on my hand, it's funny I can watch the eyes drift down to sneak a peak. I'm like have a look it's rad !

just gonna focus on healing this bad-boy so I can burn it off in Mexico in 6 weeks. realty is becoming precious

• 2 weeks later...

update...hand/wrist tattoo has been the most stressful heal to date. only one big scabby left over the wrist bone and the friggin lines are still there, showing underneath the scab. I cannot believe it! didn't lose any of the fine detail or colour underneath multiple layers of scabs. defies logic. still gonna need several weeks to let the white ink settle in.

My chest tattoo healed like a dream. It was fully healed in pretty much 7-10 days which is a new one for me. Probably the cleanest heal I've experienced so far.

However, my chest hair is being a fucking pain in the ass. I'm never shaving my chest with a razor ever again (and never have prior to this). At first I thought it was just the tattoo being itchy, but I realized that it was the hair since it was itchy far away from any part of the tattoo.. It grows in every direction so it catches on clothing all day no matter what I'm doing.

I guess I'm lucky, cause I won't have to razor shave again to touch up the tattoo, so this is only a 1 time thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Currently healing both hands, which go up onto my wrists and down onto my knuckles. I'm about a week in, they're so sore, very crusty, I can't really move my hands properly. Going back to work on Tuesday so worried about gloves coming on and off. Whaaaaaaa this is the PERFECT thread for me. What's weird is the usual wash/cream thing that usually makes my tattoos feel better actually making these ones sting! Was so bad the other night after washing and applying aloe Vera they felt like they were on fire! I started crying to which my usually lovely boyfriend rolled over and said 'will you be crying for long? I've got to get up in the morning.' Haha cheers love. Anyway glad to have somewhere I can whine to people who understand!

- - - Updated - - -

This gives me hope, mine are crust city. It's so sore! I hate healing

Currently healing both hands, which go up onto my wrists and down onto my knuckles. I'm about a week in, they're so sore, very crusty, I can't really move my hands properly. Going back to work on Tuesday so worried about gloves coming on and off. Whaaaaaaa this is the PERFECT thread for me. What's weird is the usual wash/cream thing that usually makes my tattoos feel better actually making these ones sting! Was so bad the other night after washing and applying aloe Vera they felt like they were on fire! I started crying to which my usually lovely boyfriend rolled over and said 'will you be crying for long? I've got to get up in the morning.' Haha cheers love. Anyway glad to have somewhere I can whine to people who understand!

- - - Updated - - -

This gives me hope, mine are crust city. It's so sore! I hate healing

Hand healing mojo!

If you are using aloe vera gel (I don't use it for healing tattoos, but your hands are a different story), check the ingredients for alcohol since many will have it. The best easy to find gel I've found is by Fruit of the Earth since it has no colors or alcohol added. Robot Check

We also have a few aloe vera plants to get the raw stuff for burns.

Hand healing mojo!

If you are using aloe vera gel (I don't use it for healing tattoos, but your hands are a different story), check the ingredients for alcohol since many will have it. The best easy to find gel I've found is by Fruit of the Earth since it has no colors or alcohol added. Robot Check

We also have a few aloe vera plants to get the raw stuff for burns.

Thanks. I don't usually use aloe Vera actually was just giving it a go. Did what you said and as predicted it isn't just pure (which I suspect accounts for the stinging). I just want them to heal already, it's so annoying. Of course made so much worse because they're right in my face I can see everything that's happening with them, drop out etc.

This is a walk in the park compared to hands, but getting an area of pretty solid red on my shin and calf, in the middle of a New England winter, is the perfect recipe for the ITCHIEST TATTOO EVER. Arrrrgghh. I'm thinking of driving to a Lush in the middle of a snowstorm to get Dream Cream since that's been the only thing that's helped, so far.

i posted a few times already about the stressful heal of my new dragon fist. well it healed very smoothly!

until. i go to a dance workshop with my lovely wife. she really loves dance so we had date to go to her regular class together.

it was super fun. and then on the break she's like "OMG youre bleeding!" i'm like wtf? "you've got blood all over your shirt"

well, i guess the class was getting a lil buck and this chick and I had collided hands. it would appear her big ass diamond ring scratched my dragon's nose. meh, just a scratch it will be fine but now a new scabby on my fresh tatt. kinda funny actually, just got my ass whooped at my first experience in a dance studio. just want this damn thing healed already !!

i'm healing nothing right now and enjoying that :)

well - until next week when i get my knee done by rob ryan

which i imagine will be an interesting heal

my knees are banged up from bike and skateboard falls, etc

but always wanted to try the knee tattoo looking forward to this one

I've had one knee done and healing was surprisingly ok. Bruised like hell, but walking around wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd imagined. I've been doing martial arts for years and years so have similarly banged up/calloused knees, I need a bit of a skim over to on the lower part of my knee but generally I'm really pleased with how well it all held up. Best of luck with yours!

I'm currently a couple of days into healing a trad bear head on the side of my lower leg. I thought it was going to be a breeze as I've had stuff in the vicinity before but this one has blown up! Major fat leg issues going on and unusually for me I've already got big thick scabs, so that's not feeling great right now. I'm hoping the fast reaction will mean fast healing, but we'll see...

i'm healing nothing right now and enjoying that :)

well - until next week when i get my knee done by rob ryan

which i imagine will be an interesting heal

my knees are banged up from bike and skateboard falls, etc

but always wanted to try the knee tattoo looking forward to this one

my knees were/ are pretty scarred and they still healed pretty well when tattooed. we did do a line work on both then shading each one approach since im on the bike everyday.

it was actually part of the plan to cover up the scars since my knees were totally dark purple from various impacts with ground.

actually the tattoos have still held up despite continuing to impact the ground and a couple cars.

• 2 weeks later...

OW! Ok I don't think I've ever complained, or rather, commiserated on here before........but this thigh tattoo still hurts 8 days later. Certain spots are acting up and when I stand it gets worse. Boooo hooooo. Arms and back were not like this for me. I had to stay home from a kid's bday party and I ordered groceries to be delivered today because I just couldn't bear covering it or going anywhere.

But I love the tattoo. So, there's that. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did a session last friday noon. Did not shower that evening and kept on the original wrap. Boy do I regret that now. Showered saturday morning, put on new plastic. Showered that evening and wow the itch started. It was so itchy, driving me mad. I thought it would be a good idea to put on a little bepanthen and cover it with plastic again for the night.

Next day, outbreak of little pimples. Few days further now and have some scabs unfortnately.

Long story short, Shower 4-5 hours after you got tattooed.

- - - Updated - - -

Did a session last friday noon. Did not shower that evening and kept on the original wrap. Boy do I regret that now. Showered saturday morning, put on new plastic. Showered that evening and wow the itch started. It was so itchy, driving me mad. I thought it would be a good idea to put on a little bepanthen and cover it with plastic again for the night.

Next day, outbreak of little pimples. Few days further now and have some scabs unfortnately.

- - - Updated - - -

yep,I wash starting after 3 or 4 hours after the tattoo application in a warm shower scrubbing the tattoo with the palm of my hand with a anti-microbial soap and then 2 or 3 times a day for the first 3 or 4 days.

soap.jpg

i'm 2 weeks plus post knee tattoo and still dealing with scabs but...

finally can see the light at the end of tunnel

was a pretty tough heal though

basically knee became a swollen oatmeal cookie for awhile

little bit of color / line droppage

meh - i still dig it - rob did a great job and it was a blast

would i get the other knee done

oh hell yeah!

oh hell yeah!

2 weeks and still scabs? It sounds horrible

- - - Updated - - -

oh hell yeah!

2 weeks and still scabs? It sounds horrible