In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

Just now, oboogie said:

I am trying a dry heal for the first time on my bicep. Finished my half sleeve on Thursday. Saniderm came off Friday morning and so far, so good. Any tips besides keeping it clean?

you'll be all good @oboogie - dry heal is the way - i only do 1 application of aquaphor after 1st wash - then - thats typically it

Hello guys! I have a little problem with my new tattoo(a medium size feather). I got a tattoo on my left biceps 2 months ago and it is still doesn't heal 100% after this long period. I have a lot of small scabs that wont peel down and i dont understand why because at my first tattoo i doesnt have this problem and it healed after 2 weeks. I had a lot of care to do the things right, like: washing 4-5 times/a day , and applied 4-5 times/a day an ointment (bepanthen) for 2 weeks and after that i doesnt do anyting to it. Do you have any suggestions? 

ps: sorry for my bad english

Edited by sxcsxc

9 minutes ago, Pier0445 said:

I just got a tattoo on my rib cage. It is suppose to be a mid tone brown. I got it two days ago. The ink looks straight red. I'm kind of freaking out about it. Is this going to heal brown or am I now the owner of a red tattoo? 

Do not make any judgments about the color this soon. Wait for peeling and the fading that will take place as it heals. No worries. You will love your tattoo (even if it is redder than you thought) but now is not the time to make any guesses about the final colors.

This is my first tattoo so I have no idea what to expect. I just got a mid brown outline with no shading.I figured less is more for me.  If it turns out red I will have it outlined black and shaded. I'm REALLY hoping that doesn't happen because it was more painful than I had anticipated. Rib cage was maybe a bad choice for first go. :-)

Or, actually, ribcage excellent choice for first go round, because after that the other tattoos you get will be like a walk in the park!

Just wait it out. The artist has to take into consideration your natural skin tone when mixing colors, plus the knowledge of how a particular color might fade initially, so put it out of your mind for the time being. 

They say it takes 3 months for colour to show absolutely true. I've plenty of full colour tattoos and experience has shown that to be about right, for me at least. 

You'll be able to get a better idea of the final shade after a few weeks though, once the tattoo is under the skin rather than on it, IYSWIM.  The changes are subtile after that so you might not notice any further change on something that's just line work. 

Any chance of a photo @Pier0445?

Edited by HettyKet

7 minutes ago, HettyKet said:

They say it takes 3 months for colour to show absolutely true. I've plenty of full colour tattoos and experience has shown that to be about right, for me at least. 

You'll be able to get a better idea of the final shade after a few weeks though, once the tattoo is under the skin rather than on it, IYSWIM.  The changes are subtile after that so you might not notice any further change on something that's just line work. 

Any chance of a photo @Pier0445?

I'll try to post one tonight when I get home. I'm not very happy with it at the moment so I haven't taken any pictures. The guy basically gave me no after care instructions so I'm trying to figure it out on my own and pretending I love it until I really know what its gonna end up like. 

Tattoos can take a bit of getting used to! I was kind shocked after my first few, loved them but, well it's a big change and it can take a while to catch up. It's surely quite sore too. That's never pleasant. 

Try to relax and don't obsess. If you really, really hate after significant time has passed then there are plenty of options. You'll probably love it by the time it's healed:12_slight_smile:

Here's a picture. I chickened out and took the route of being able to add to it but not take away so I didn't have the guy do any shading just the outline. I might have it reoutlined in black and shaded which is how the drawing I had done was. I got too nervous. It's not lopsided on the book, it's just how I'm turned making it look like that. Doesn't it look like red ink? Humph. I'm worried. 

IMG_8786.JPG

21 minutes ago, Pier0445 said:

Here's a picture. I chickened out and took the route of being able to add to it but not take away so I didn't have the guy do any shading just the outline. I might have it reoutlined in black and shaded which is how the drawing I had done was. I got too nervous. It's not lopsided on the book, it's just how I'm turned making it look like that. Doesn't it look like red ink? Humph. I'm worried. 

IMG_8786.JPG

Like everybody has said, there's nothing you can do at this point other than wait.  I haven't had anything lined in any colour other than black, so I can't comment on this specifically, but especially with colours that aren't completely opaque it's normal for them to be red or reddish for a while after the tattoo is done.  One of my arms has a lot of greywash in it and the red didn't properly settle out of it until weeks after the session.  Healing tattoos sucks and healing tattoos look weird and it's easy to get impatient about it, but try not to worry about it and let your body do its thing.

Anyway, I like the tattoo.

54 minutes ago, Pier0445 said:

well,what color is the ink the artist used ?

#1 - I like the tattoo, #2 - I have a tattoo on my arm in brown and black. It took several months for the brown to change from red, #3 - if you think healing a tattoo takes time, try healing laser removal! Not painful or itchy, but Oh! the flaking! Layer after layer. At least some color comes off with it (which is desired here, as opposed to a tattoo). Over two weeks now, and I still have more flakes forming (and one blister still oozing a little).

12 hours ago, Pier0445 said:

IMG_8786.JPG

It sounds like you are going through exactly what I went through with my first. It didn't look at all like I imagined and I was really upset for days. But they change SO MUCH during healing, I am sure you will be fine. Really, I thought mine was a disaster and then I looked at it one day and loved it. Once it heals, it becomes a part of your skin. Give it a few weeks, I am sure you will love it eventually!

• 2 weeks later...

Im on day 3 after my new geometric tattoo and wow I have a new hatred for driving, its impossible to drive and not put pressure on my lower back from the seat! Totally worth it but wow is it itchy after commuting :/

• 2 weeks later...

Peeling full back/upper legs tattoo + norovirus = most uncomfortable, sore, itchy bed rest ever.

There comes a point when you're sick when you have to acknowledge that, even though you have a tattoo in the final stages of peeling...you really need to take a hot bath. A few hot baths. Multiple hot baths, so that you don't die of body aches.

I regret nothing.

(And the tattoo seems fine.)