In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

6 hours ago, Mark Bee said:

The tattooing on the knees wasn't that bad for me either - they did swell up like balloons though!

ya,that swelling thing,when I had the top of my hand done,it puffed up pretty good.I have tattoos all over my body and this is the first one that has swelled up.

you can clearly see the swelling in this pic of it.the day it was done.

13731755_10205080397488870_5859828609429

and today long after the swelling is gone,5 months later

13686653_10205081131347216_1591460906522

Edited by Dan

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Gingerninja said:

26 minutes ago, Gingerninja said:

OMG, I have one spot that is so itchy. I can't stand it. One little spot. Someone tie my hands together so I don't scratch it. Considering I had a good amount of real estate tattooed recently, I'm blessed but this one spot is making me mental.

try putting an icepack on it

43 minutes ago, Gingerninja said:

Apparently, mosquitos like freshly healing tattoos. 30 minutes outside and boom, I have six bites IN my new tattoo. I'm just a little more than annoyed.

Ugh. They love me already - hopefully most will be gone up here by mid-September!

1 hour ago, Gingerninja said:

Apparently, mosquitos like freshly healing tattoos. 30 minutes outside and boom, I have six bites IN my new tattoo. I'm just a little more than annoyed.

Oh dear,  they don't bother me,  not that we have many round here. 

How do you usually react to them? My wife gets a massive reaction,  even so far as abscesses and ulcers. 

Hope they dont do too much damage to your new tattoo! 

• 4 weeks later...

So I will post this pic here as my start point - about 24 hours post finish. I slept in an old t-shirt last night and had no plasma or ink leak that I noticed. Showered this morning using antibacterial soap and am using a light Aquaphor application in place of the A&D my artist gave me (I used Aquaphor on my first tattoo also). This one seems much more sensitive than my first - perhaps because of the amount of shading on this one versus my first?). It is tender - like a brush burn. Most of the redness is gone, it just is uncomfortable to have a shirt sleeve rubbing it.  I was out this afternoon and as I got in the car Lynn mentioned that it looked like I had some plasma leak - never had that with my first. When I got home I washed it again and reapplied a very light cover of Aquaphor. I noticed when I pat it dry with a clean paper towel, I am getting a small amount of ink but that seems to lessen with each washing.

So, we'll see how this one goes. My guess is that it's not going to be as easy as my first.

IMG_1404.JPG

So on to Day 3 of the healing. Plasma and ink leak have stopped. Still a bit sensitive to the touch but less so each day. I tried to wear a t-shirt and dress shirt to work yesterday....OUCH!!!!....luckily I had a polo shirt in my closet in the office so I switched out after an hour at work.

I am probably about to jinx myself, but to this point no signs of scabbing. I've stuck to the routine that worked for my first tattoo. I wash with antibacterial soap 3 to 4 times a day, let it air dry, and then apply a very light coat of Aquaphor - massaging it in thoroughly and then using a clean paper towel to blot off any excess. I can tell if I've left too much on in any place within a few hours - the skin in that are will swell a bit. I blot the area and it will subside within a few hours.

I can see some spots already getting ready to start peeling. Once that happens, I'll switch to unscented Aveeno body lotion.

So far so good. It's amazing how each of us react differently to the healing process.

I washed up tonight and planned on staying with the Aquaphor for one more day...until I washed my new piece. My eagle is molting like crazy already. With as much peel as I'm getting I opted just to move to a light application of Aveeno for the duration now. Some of the lines have that milky look too so I well on the way to healing.

Now about 5 days into this heal - and I am amazed at how quickly it is going. The majority of peeling is done, I have almost no itching at this point and not a single scab. As easy as the healing process of my first tattoo was (and it was of similar size but just black/gray instead of color like this one), this has been even easier.

Part of the difference must be that I learned from the first one. This time, I actually washed it with anti-bacterial soap and applied Aquaphor more often. I also made sure that I fully massaged the Aquaphor into the tattoo and then blotted ANY excess off. 

Of course, it all could be blind luck. And, from interacting with everyone here it is evident that each of us heal differently and there are as many approaches to the process as there are members. Finding what works for you is the key. 

I'll get a new picture up soon. :1_grinning:

So, on to Day 6.....and crap. I noticed when I got home last evening that I now have 3 or 4 scabs. All are pretty small and relatively thin - and all on dark areas of the tattoo. Still peeling lightly in places, minimal itch that really doesn't even bother me. I'm staying the course with my occasional very light coat of Aveeno lotion to keep everything just a touch moist. 

Since I have no previous experience with scabs, can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes for them to drop off? I know we all heal differently but is there a ball park guess? A week? Two?

10 minutes ago, Devious6 said:

So, on to Day 6.....and crap. I noticed when I got home last evening that I now have 3 or 4 scabs. All are pretty small and relatively thin - and all on dark areas of the tattoo. Still peeling lightly in places, minimal itch that really doesn't even bother me. I'm staying the course with my occasional very light coat of Aveeno lotion to keep everything just a touch moist. 

Since I have no previous experience with scabs, can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes for them to drop off? I know we all heal differently but is there a ball park guess? A week? Two?

no worries @Devious6 most of my tattoos scab - once in awhile i've been lucky to not scab - to me - i'm convinced its about location on the body - best thing is to let them be and they'll fall off on there own - usually by end of 2nd week the scabs are pretty much gone - i'm a dry healer mostly - sometimes some lubriderm but not much at all - you'll be all good

Edited by marley mission

@marley mission Thanks! I'm not sweating it at all. My first - on the left upper arm didn't scab at all. But, I also had no plasma or ink leak on that one. This one did for some reason. It's all good. I'll just keep up the routine that seems to work. That very light application of lotion from time to time seems to keep the itching down, too.