In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

i'm a month in on my last tattoo on my forearm - slow heal - but what makes it harder is its just there staring at me all day - forearm tattoos are just the worst like that - meanwhile - the one i got on my stomach basically healed right away - hardly peeled - forearms i think - especially a 45 year old forearm - that skin is just beat up from years of sun exposure etc - so i think it just takes longer with certain types of skin on your body

I think I am just too anxious for it to be healed, too. I really love it and want to show it off...but the cold weather is approaching here in the northeast so sleeveless shirts will soon go away for the late fall and winter. And, I don't want to use any sunscreen on it for at least another week, anyway. Oh well. I'll just need to deal with it. 

On 5/25/2016 at 1:08 PM, oboogie said:

My arm is so swollen from last night's work. My inside biceps get very angry when I tattoo them. ARGH.

Mine too. Mine was done Wednesday night (a bird in the same spot as yours but other arm) and Thursday I walked around all day at work w/my hand on my hip or held the arm out from my body like a bodybuilder. Stupidly went to Taekwondo class and yeah that was tender. 

@BrokenTV sounds like you are doing well. It's only 4 days old. 

Didnt you mention you had tegaderm on it?  How long did you keep the tegaderm on?  Did your tattooer tell you to use aquafor after removing the Tegaderm? 

No scabbing is a GOOD thing. No itchiness is a plus. But again, it's 4 days old. Sounds like you are healing well. Would love to see a pic. 

I just did tagaderm from walgreens for two days. It didnt quite fit on one of them so I doubled up and it was a bother.

I had the Aquafor unscented for babies stuff and just a generic sanitizer I used on it once after the padding from the tattoo shop was off. 

If a watched pot never boils, does a watched tattoo never scab? Food for thought, maybe. 

edit: not sure how relevant, but it was done with a rotary tattoo and some say that it does less scabbing than mechanical coiled machines or so I read today.

Edited by BrokenTV
rotary tattoo

1 hour ago, BrokenTV said:

I just did tagaderm from walgreens for two days. It didnt quite fit on one of them so I doubled up and it was a bother.

I had the Aquafor unscented for babies stuff and just a generic sanitizer I used on it once after the padding from the tattoo shop was off. 

If a watched pot never boils, does a watched tattoo never scab? Food for thought, maybe. 

edit: not sure how relevant, but it was done with a rotary tattoo and some say that it does less scabbing than mechanical coiled machines or so I read today.

I have had many tattoos applied with both types of machines and I have never noticed a difference in healing.IMO it depends more on the artist's style and our bodies and where on our body the tattoo is,and how we handle the aftercare.

Edited by Dan

Now into the second week of healing. At this point the peeling is done and just a few small scabs remain. For some reason, the red in the sun rays and the flag seem to have been absorbed more or pushed out - seems to me I've read about others having problems with certain ink colors. Traded messages with my artist this morning - I'll drop by the shop on Friday to have him look it over and set me up for a quick touch up. Otherwise, all is good with the process and I am totally happy with this tattoo.

Yup, I understand. There are lost of areas where the colors are muted by "onion skin" and I know those will settle out as the healing process continues. But, there are some places where the ink just isn't there - mostly in areas on the red flag stripes and the sun rays. It could just be that it was hard for the artist to see well since I know the skin got irritated and red. My first one needed just a little touch up as well. I fully expected it.

And, I agree....it is an awesome tattoo! :1_grinning:

1 hour ago, Devious6 said:

Yup, I understand. There are lost of areas where the colors are muted by "onion skin" and I know those will settle out as the healing process continues. But, there are some places where the ink just isn't there - mostly in areas on the red flag stripes and the sun rays. It could just be that it was hard for the artist to see well since I know the skin got irritated and red. My first one needed just a little touch up as well. I fully expected it.

And, I agree....it is an awesome tattoo! :1_grinning:

"onion skin" ????

22 hours ago, BrokenTV said:

I use Saniderm,they have a personal 3 pack of 8x10" sheets for $11.95 +$ 3.35 shipping  https://saniderm.com/product/8-in-x-10-in-personal-pack/

Edited by Dan

OMeffingG this tattoo is thwarting me. I don't know that I've had this hard a heal since starting this method. I thought I maybe had too much cocoa butter on it or that I was reacting to the cocoa butter-even tho I've been using that for the last 5 years but ok..so i quit using it and thought I'd let it dry. That didn't help. It ended up cracking in two spots, not horribly, but still. So tonight I looked at the ingredients in the "free" soap I am using this time. Different than the Ivory we've been using for the last 5 years. So I wondered if I was sensitive to something in it, even if it's a "free of everything soap", who knows? Was telling husband and he said the first few days every time he washed w/it he got immediately itchier than crazy. I put some coconut oil on it this morning b/c where it cracked hurt. So, getting ready for bed just now, I used the Ivory. We'll see. It feels better already. Before, it felt "prickly" all the time, like that piercing stabbing pain toward the end of the tattoo when everything's raw. My poor bird. Everybody's been freaking out to see him and a peeling/not wanting to heal tattoo just isn't as purty to admire. 

8 hours ago, iowagirl said:

OMeffingG this tattoo is thwarting me. I don't know that I've had this hard a heal since starting this method. I thought I maybe had too much cocoa butter on it or that I was reacting to the cocoa butter-even tho I've been using that for the last 5 years but ok..so i quit using it and thought I'd let it dry. That didn't help. It ended up cracking in two spots, not horribly, but still. So tonight I looked at the ingredients in the "free" soap I am using this time. Different than the Ivory we've been using for the last 5 years. So I wondered if I was sensitive to something in it, even if it's a "free of everything soap", who knows? Was telling husband and he said the first few days every time he washed w/it he got immediately itchier than crazy. I put some coconut oil on it this morning b/c where it cracked hurt. So, getting ready for bed just now, I used the Ivory. We'll see. It feels better already. Before, it felt "prickly" all the time, like that piercing stabbing pain toward the end of the tattoo when everything's raw. My poor bird. Everybody's been freaking out to see him and a peeling/not wanting to heal tattoo just isn't as purty to admire. 

Try getting some Dial Gold - fragrance free antibacterial. That is all I use for the first 10 days to 2 weeks. It is mild, doesn't make me itch. 

4 hours ago, Devious6 said:

Try getting some Dial Gold - fragrance free antibacterial. That is all I use for the first 10 days to 2 weeks. It is mild, doesn't make me itch. 

Thanks for the tip! We still have Ivory so I'm ok for a while. Just used it a couple times now and wow the difference is amazing-it feels like it should've felt last Friday. Finally. Whew. Will be interested to see how the birds eye looks once all the flaking is done. I'm worried some of the color came out but can't tell for sure yet. 

The Dial Gold is a liquid antibacterial - so it is very soothing....and I love the smell. Now it is associated in my mind with a new tattoo so when I use it it makes me want to get another. Good luck on your heal and peel!! Looking forward to post heal pictures!!  Mine is still peeling a bit, and needs to shed some layers of skin before it's final - but I'm psyched at how it looks.

3 minutes ago, Devious6 said:

The Dial Gold is a liquid antibacterial - so it is very soothing....and I love the smell. Now it is associated in my mind with a new tattoo so when I use it it makes me want to get another. Good luck on your heal and peel!! Looking forward to post heal pictures!!  Mine is still peeling a bit, and needs to shed some layers of skin before it's final - but I'm psyched at how it looks.

Same. Love the smell of green soap and Dial Gold. My favorites!

6 hours ago, Devious6 said:

Oh boy isn't that such an awesome feeling? When you can finally look at your piece and just be like ahhhh yeah this is fucking awesome! I want to wear strapless tops all the time and walk around w/my arms out so the undersides are visible. I feel complete now w/the underside done there. I like to look down and not see bare skin there.