In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

@Boiled Dove Hahaha...I always recruit people to Tegaderm me. I now have my "regulars" who laugh at me (I buy them drinks or dinner which seems to help).

Even with the derm, my last few have healed scabbier and slower. Thankfully, I just had bloodwork done so I know that at least the heal isn't something else. Your torch by Chad is amazing!!

3 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

@Boiled Dove Hahaha...I always recruit people to Tegaderm me. I now have my "regulars" who laugh at me (I buy them drinks or dinner which seems to help).

Even with the derm, my last few have healed scabbier and slower. Thankfully, I just had bloodwork done so I know that at least the heal isn't something else. Your torch by Chad is amazing!!

I wish I had healing slaves that did stuff for me, my parents rarely helped and my  girlfriend could only help some days

Ay-yi-yi. This one on my love handle area is super-uncomfortable. I guess the fact that the body twists plenty is a contributor. Had a little yellow leakage two days after, but there was no foul odor that made me think it might be infected.

Doesn't help that where I usually carry my purse hits that area exactly.

Just uncomfortable.

Ay-yi-yi. This one on my love handle area is super-uncomfortable. I guess the fact that the body twists plenty is a contributor. Had a little yellow leakage two days after, but there was no foul odor that made me think it might be infected.
Doesn't help that where I usually carry my purse hits that area exactly.
Just uncomfortable.

Carrying it on the other side will not only reduce tattoo aggravation, it will reduce repeated stress on your spine. Once I switched to the left hand for carrying my briefcase or backpack, my back pains greatly reduced.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Tattoo is now at the skin tightening stage and goes from stages of being red around tattoo (if walked a lot), to not red. Can start to see it bruising a bit, but it's only slight. Goes from varying degrees of hurt, to not hurt lol Esp if go to sit down and go to stand up. But will be ok, no pain, no gain, or something like that lol

My back outline is about 10 days old and doing okay. Most of the peeling is done and it gets a little itchy. If my girl friend is around she puts something on it for me. I can do it with a long plastic kitchen spoon pretty well. I

just got a jar of Hustle Butter on Amazon. I used a tube of it once on my foot and it healed nicely. Good for general after care at any time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my first back tattoo and my anxious nature that needs to check what's going on every 2 minutes is having a tough time :)) So far I have two arm tattoos, so those are pretty accessible. Needless to say, I have been twisting in all manner of uncomfortable positions trying to take photos of it so I can have a close look at it :)) Have not gotten to the itchy part yet with my two new ones, but maaan! It's a bit tough to heal tattoos in winter. I apply cream and I feel it's just getting absorbed by the clothes :)) How do you guys manage with tattoos in covered areas? This is driving me nuts!

Got my first back tattoo and my anxious nature that needs to check what's going on every 2 minutes is having a tough time :)) So far I have two arm tattoos, so those are pretty accessible. Needless to say, I have been twisting in all manner of uncomfortable positions trying to take photos of it so I can have a close look at it :)) Have not gotten to the itchy part yet with my two new ones, but maaan! It's a bit tough to heal tattoos in winter. I apply cream and I feel it's just getting absorbed by the clothes :)) How do you guys manage with tattoos in covered areas? This is driving me nuts!

Get a cheap web cam hooked to your computer.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I guess that this is as good of place as any for my question...

How common is it for a tattoo to scab?  Is there things that cause it or prevent it?

I'm asking because my first tattoo on my upper right arm didn't have a single scab.  It was itchy and did peel after a few days, but never scabbed.  I washed it with Dial bar soap 3/day, treated with A+D ointment (recommended by artist) for the first 4 days or so and them switched to lubriderm lotion.

I thought that A+D wasn't very popular for use on tattoos, but since I'll be beginning my second one next month and it seemed to work well on me I'm thinking that I'll do the same thing again.  Any thoughts from those more experienced?

It's all about the first ~24 hours after the bandage/clingwrap is removed. If it's clean and not oozing (plasma) then you won't get any scabs. If it oozes and/or is dirty you'll probably end up with scabs.

This is the reason why I prefer a proper bandage over night (and day after if I have any) instead of that shitty clingwrap which is removed after a few hours. It's basically too fresh and will ooze, and with nothing to soak it up it's going to form scabs.

Right now I have one that is a giant scab, and one that healed nicely in 7 days. Guess which one got which treatment...

I'm attempting a dry heal for the first time with my latest tattoo per my artist's instructions.  I was feeling pretty skeptical about it last night after my shower because my skin felt so tight and looked so dry.  I almost broke down and dabbed a little Aquaphor on there, but my artist specifically said that ointments tend to make his work scab, so I toughed it out.  It feels pretty good this morning, even after washing.  I'm looking forward to starting to use a little lotion tomorrow.  All in all it seems like I'm on track based on how my other tattoos healed.  I'm also enjoying not sticking to my bed sheets because of sticky ointment. :15_yum:

Edited by tertia

• 2 weeks later...

Knee is now fine, after getting it done, hurt like a bastard though. Hurt when went to walk, or stand or sit on Monday evening, night and Tuesday morning. Around late Tuesday afternoon it started to ease. Yesterday was fine and today no problems.  (Got it done on Monday the 8th of Jan)

It's healing well, swelling has gone down from pics that I had taken, despite everyone telling me it will swell up. Mine didn't. 

I was worried about getting knee done because of what I had heard from others, including tattooists. But, for me,  it's no bother at all. Looking forward to getting the other one done now. 

Edit: I will add that I put no ice on my knee at all. I don't put any ice on my tattoos. 

Edited by purplelace

I am a big fan of Hustle Butter too, I always use it for the first 3/4 days until the tattoo starts to dry up and then I switch to Aveeno unscented which I use until it's all healed, generally about 2 weeks. Works well for me. The only time I've experienced bad scabbing was when I came home from a session, had a mad cleaning fit the next day, ooozed plasma badly and then it scabbed in a most thick and disgusting fashion! It didn't make any difference to the healing though... once the scabs fell off it was absolutely fine. 

On 1/13/2018 at 12:44 PM, Alicia said:

I am a big fan of Hustle Butter too, I always use it for the first 3/4 days until the tattoo starts to dry up and then I switch to Aveeno unscented which I use until it's all healed, generally about 2 weeks. Works well for me. The only time I've experienced bad scabbing was when I came home from a session, had a mad cleaning fit the next day, ooozed plasma badly and then it scabbed in a most thick and disgusting fashion! It didn't make any difference to the healing though... once the scabs fell off it was absolutely fine. 

Please note that the comment that follows is not meant to be disrespectful, I am just curious. 

Why would you use Aveeno on a new tattoo? Why would you put that on what is effectively an open wound? Is it a common practice is America? Because,  I would not consider putting a moisturising lotion on a new tattoo, on a fresh, healing tattoo. To me, that is all sorts of wrong.