In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've gone down the dry healing route for the latest after the crap with the last one - 4 days in and do you know what, I think I'm going to stop with the lotions and potions for aftercare - seems to be healing just fine by itself without me poking at it with salve.  Also my clothes aren't covered in crap, which is nice.  Anyone else just letting stuff heal by itself these days? - 

2 hours ago, AtomicMagpye said:

I've gone down the dry healing route for the latest after the crap with the last one - 4 days in and do you know what, I think I'm going to stop with the lotions and potions for aftercare - seems to be healing just fine by itself without me poking at it with salve.  Also my clothes aren't covered in crap, which is nice.  Anyone else just letting stuff heal by itself these days? - 

I don't dry heal, but I've reduced the amount of aftercare exponentially from what I did when I started getting tattoos. I don't notice any difference in healing. The only think I do that has really helped from a comfort level is that I take a really hot bath as soon as I get home and again the next morning. My artist got this from Filip Leu's shop when he was being tattooed by him. Apparently it's also very common in Japan, although for some reason it's frowned on in the US. My tattoos haven't healed any differently since I started doing this, but there is a huge difference in the amount of discomfort. 

Edited by Hogrider

10 hours ago, AtomicMagpye said:

Same. Just keep it clean and let it heal. Works a treat. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Brandondahl said:

Hi All,

got another tattoo this Saturday, so this is day 3 of healing and I am noticing I am swelling a lot right below the elbow — like from the elbow and 4” down. My tattoo is on the back of my bicep. Is this normal? 

swelling is totally normal,

keep it elevated,ice it up a little,treat it like an injury,

1 minute ago, Brandondahl said:

Even though the actual area isn’t swollen? I just find it odd, but then again it’s a lot of color and took 3 hours.

both my hands swelled up like balloons when I had them tattooed

Healing this large tattoo on the top of my forearm and near/almost on my elbow is a stress-fest for me. A good amount of peeling and cracking, more dryness than usual, and it’s sooo exposed allll of the time. Doing my best to count to 10 and take deep breaths... 😖

Week 8 healing a full side leg, so not fresh, but frig this is taking a long time to settle. The initial swelling/pain was much easier to deal with than I had anticipated (2 straight days of 12.5 hours, so i expected near-death, I guess), no scabbing and quick peeling phase, too. This piece has lots of deep colour and the blue is still scaly and itchy in some spots. My body has a hard time with some colours, I knew that going in, but I'm ready for this to be done.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:47 PM, Brandondahl said:

Hi All,

got another tattoo this Saturday, so this is day 3 of healing and I am noticing I am swelling a lot right below the elbow — like from the elbow and 4” down. My tattoo is on the back of my bicep. Is this normal? 

My entire arm was swollen the day after a bicep tattoo. It didn't last long, back to normal after a couple of days. Normal.

• 5 months later...

I'm currently at the 7th day of healing, after three days my tattoo started to spread heat and after four days it started to peel and scab a bit. Luckily it wasn't infected. Now is quite better, everything start to flake away.

The first picture is about 2 days ago, the second one is today, after taking a short shower most of the greater scab just flake away without any "color problem" . Since is my first tatto, can I ask if everething is truely "normal"? :')  The higher part used to be lighter from the beginning, I guess the artist hasn't finished it properly, I will fix it soon I guess

83362426_802081156965729_2854462503604191232_n.jpg

82833422_1442885242548163_7812870271081119744_n.jpg

Any ideas here? This line has gone red, raised and keeps drying up! It was done about 8-9 weeks ago and went like this about 6-7 weeks ago, it just won’t fully heal! My artist has done lots more work on and around that area without any reactions since but doesn’t want to touch this section till it’s healed, it’s been ages though!

1ECD84B1-667F-4A6D-9632-12FE9BC9873D.jpeg

83C76776-005D-4B83-BF50-6C27175B2ABC.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tinny448 said:

Any ideas here? This line has gone red, raised and keeps drying up! It was done about 8-9 weeks ago and went like this about 6-7 weeks ago, it just won’t fully heal! My artist has done lots more work on and around that area without any reactions since but doesn’t want to touch this section till it’s healed, it’s been ages though!

1ECD84B1-667F-4A6D-9632-12FE9BC9873D.jpeg

83C76776-005D-4B83-BF50-6C27175B2ABC.jpeg

See a doctor, that’s not normal.

3 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

You asked for ideas. If you don’t want them, don’t ask.

Ok calm down, I wasn’t saying you were right or wrong. The easiest answer is see a doctor or it’s an infection, I just wanted something a little more educated than that that’s all.

12 minutes ago, Tinny448 said:

Ok calm down, I wasn’t saying you were right or wrong. The easiest answer is see a doctor or it’s an infection, I just wanted something a little more educated than that that’s all.

I agree with @Hogrider. I can't believe you are going back for more work on that when you haven't been to the doctor for that. It doesn't look right.

We can't tell you anything more. We aren't doctors.

37 minutes ago, oboogie said:

I agree with @Hogrider. I can't believe you are going back for more work on that when you haven't been to the doctor for that. It doesn't look right.

We can't tell you anything more. We aren't doctors.

It didn’t flare up for a couple weeks, I’ve been back every two or so weeks and as I didn’t get or feel Bad I assumed it was some sort of reaction? That was my first tattoo of a arm sleeve, I’m about 50% done now so will have a check up after tomorrow, I’ve heard anti biotic drugs don’t agree with tattoos so sort of held off going.