In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

1 hour ago, Tinny448 said:

Ok calm down, I wasn’t saying you were right or wrong. The easiest answer is see a doctor or it’s an infection, I just wanted something a little more educated than that that’s all.

I’m calm and with more than 200 hours in the chair a hell of a lot more educated than you. Also done with you. Onto my ignore list you go.

Edited by Hogrider

6 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

I’m calm and with more than 200 hours in the chair a hell of a lot more educated than you. Also done with you. Onto my ignore list you go.

Lmao, good guy! I asked for help described what I thought and you come all “know it all” all because you “have more tats than me” behave. 1 hour or 100 hrs is the same. 

Anyway if someone has had this sort of issue I’d appreciate your input, not a cock measuring contest, just genuine advice. 

like I say after tomorrow I will go to the docs to see if it’s something bad!? After so long and no symptoms I assumed I was ok health wise.

4 hours ago, SStu said:

Huh. Nope - that's a head scratcher, for me. That's on the inside of your arm, right? Maybe it's rubbing on your rolled up shirt sleeve, or something?

It’s on the top of my forearm, the top side of my palm side. It’s weird as it didn’t react straight away. 

I am not a tattoo vet so I am a little worried, it doesn’t hurt and I’ve had no symptoms of it was an infection. No puss, no illness etc. it just seems to dry up peel and dry up and peel over a few days. 

In short I’m having a sleeve so back every 2-3 weeks when a slot is open. My artist isn’t worried about it and wants to wait it out, as I’m back so often I haven’t had time to go for a check up and as I’ve not been poorly I didn’t feel the need? Should I? 

• 1 month later...

I did 2 hours on a growing front thigh piece on Wednesday, then went and laid on that piece for a 4.5 hour Octopus (start to finish, with no potty breaks). On the back calf of the same leg on Friday.  It is now Sunday and I've got one already in the flaky/itchy/tender stage, and one in the swollen so bad my ankle has become a cankle stage.  I'm thinking the combo of having work on the thigh piece two days prior to having to lay on my stomach for so long, and the length and detail of the second piece has caused my body to freak out a bit.  I'm hoping the cankle resolves itself pretty quickly I am on my feet 9 hours a day, 5 days a week starting back tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

I was prepared for my knee ditch to be a tough spot to heal. I was not prepared for it to get INFECTED! Ugh. Fortunately, I sought medical care as soon as something seemed amiss: abnormal redness around the tattoo about a week out from getting it done, and the worst tattoo itchiness I’ve ever experienced (I actually thought I’d gotten a mosquito bite ON the fresh tattoo at first.) I’ve been on antibiotics for a few days and it hasn’t drastically improved, but the itchiness has subsided and at least it doesn’t appear to be getting worse. And the tattoo still seems to be healing normally.

Not sure where I went awry with this healing as I babied this tattoo more than any of my others. I only washed twice a day instead of three, but I also wasn’t leaving the house at all and had it exposed to air almost constantly. *shrug*

I emailed my artist and the shop just to give them a heads up, which I felt kind of weird about but they should know, right? I don’t actually think I picked this up at the shop, but couldn’t hurt for them to give everything a nice once over with disinfectant, yeah?

Anyway, this first picture is some mild redness, the second is the worsening redness one day later that prompted me to go to urgent care. The second is a couple days later. Looks about the same currently…really hoping to see more significant improvement soon.

47E70CB5-FC36-426F-B79F-78811B45CC32.jpeg

B3011EF5-07B2-4E29-BCD9-4688D9973EC8.jpeg

AFC5503F-0D40-422B-B51F-095F607E25F8.jpeg

Edited by tertia

• 3 weeks later...

hi all! it’s been a while since i posted 🙂 just got a tattoo on friday & my artist recommended a new aftercare method (using a&d for first three days then switching to unscented lotion). 

i’m seeing some small pimple-like bumps or maybe clogged pores come up. or maybe it’s just the beginning of peely time? we’ll see but it’s itchy lol 😵💫 it’s also my biggest tattoo so far and i am in LOVE with it

On 11/15/2021 at 2:58 PM, westernhaiku said:

i’m seeing some small pimple-like bumps or maybe clogged pores come up. 

99.9999% of the time cause by using too much lotion.

Also, you don't need any special tattoo after care products. I've healed almost all of my work using the A&D until it starts to peel and then switching to cocoa butter. The rest is just a waste of money.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:57 PM, Hogrider said:

99.9999% of the time cause by using too much lotion.

Also, you don't need any special tattoo after care products. I've healed almost all of my work using the A&D until it starts to peel and then switching to cocoa butter. The rest is just a waste of money.

that’s what i’ve figured! i’ve never used A&D before, so i’m thinking i may have been a little heavy handed on the first day. switching to lubriderm this evening — fingers crossed that it doesn’t disrupt the healing process TOO much 😥

On 11/15/2021 at 4:06 PM, westernhaiku said:

that’s what i’ve figured! i’ve never used A&D before, so i’m thinking i may have been a little heavy handed on the first day. switching to lubriderm this evening — fingers crossed that it doesn’t disrupt the healing process TOO much 😥

I wouldn't worry. It's really hard to screw up the healing process. The hardest thing is wrapping your head around how LITTLE we have to use.

On 11/15/2021 at 4:18 PM, Hogrider said:

I wouldn't worry. It's really hard to screw up the healing process. The hardest thing is wrapping your head around how LITTLE we have to use.

thank you so much — that’s super reassuring! this has never happened with any of my other tattoos so i was like “???”

and yes right! it’s like overwatering a plant because you think they’re thirsty lol

• 1 month later...

I never stumble upon this kind of issues when looking for healing / infected tattoos, neither allergic reactions. My artist thinks that's a reaction to maybe the soap or patch adhesive, and a doctor thinks it might be something about the ink used. This appeared on the second day, and on the third (today) worsened, which prompted me to go to a doctor. They gave me an antibiotic cream with corticosteroids. 
I wanted to share this because I'm obviously wondering what could have gone wrong - ink allergy? Needle contamination or allergy? Folliculitis? So far this is very itchy. Hoping it will heal properly. 

20211222_142901.jpg

20211222_141116.jpg

• 4 months later...
34 minutes ago, SStu said:

I've heard that before. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with mine at all . . . 

Did you not bend your leg for two weeks? The problem is the bending and straightening, I guess. It looks like deep-fried ass. I usually dry heal, but I am going to try a little coconut oil. It's just so CRISPY.

14 hours ago, oboogie said:

Did you not bend your leg for two weeks? The problem is the bending and straightening, I guess. It looks like deep-fried ass. I usually dry heal, but I am going to try a little coconut oil. It's just so CRISPY.

I didn’t have any problems, but I don’t dry heal. I use A&D for a couple of days covered by Saran Wrap, then cocoa butter for a week or so. I’ve healed both knees and elbows that way.

I had a 2 1/2 hour rib session last Friday. That’s healing really nicely too. I put cocoa butter on the ribs every day for about 6 weeks prior to the session. Seems to have really helped with the healing.

15 hours ago, oboogie said:

Sorry, but nothing like that. Minor swelling for maybe a couple of days. Drove a few hours to get home after the appointment. Walked on it from the get-go. All dry-healed. 

Guess I was lucky . . . 

5 hours ago, Hogrider said:

I didn’t have any problems, but I don’t dry heal. I use A&D for a couple of days covered by Saran Wrap, then cocoa butter for a week or so. I’ve healed both knees and elbows that way.

I had a 2 1/2 hour rib session last Friday. That’s healing really nicely too. I put cocoa butter on the ribs every day for about 6 weeks prior to the session. Seems to have really helped with the healing.

My elbows healed fine. The knee is a different matter. It's better today. 

5 hours ago, SStu said:

Sorry, but nothing like that. Minor swelling for maybe a couple of days. Drove a few hours to get home after the appointment. Walked on it from the get-go. All dry-healed. 

Guess I was lucky . . . 

Yeah, I drove three hours each way. I've been walking on it, too.