In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

I always have major swelling no matter where I get tattooed. The absolute worst is my lower legs though. I'm trying to finish them off because the healing process is so awful. My entire lower leg down and foot will swell with even the smallest tattoo. I'll have cankles and a huge swollen foot for about 3-4 days. Dealing with this right now actually. This tattoo is up closer to my knee and my ankle and foot are still swollen from it.

I have several sets of sheets that are all stained from fresh tattoos. It doesn't really bother me and I tell my friends that stay with me and get tattooed during their visit not to worry about. I've definitely ruined blankets and sheets of others while I'm visiting them. I try not to and I feel bad when I do. These friends are most of the time heavily tattooed themselves so it's usually not a big deal.

My dog and boyfriend are both notorious for bumping and or jumping on my fresh tattoos.

The one thing that really bothers though is the flakes of skin. It just really grosses me out having dead skin flakes everywhere. The majority of the time someone in my household has a healing tattoo and I get so grossed out when i find these flakes on the couch and such. I have to vacuum like crazy.

I don't seem to... bleed/seep/stick (?) so I don't get that issue with the sheets. It sounds like fun.

Had a pretty epic 5 and a bit hours done yesterday, some re-outlining and extra shading, which meant basically all of my arm got attacked. Healing a whole arm at once is not fun. Sleeping last night sucked, today it's still all swollen and stings like a mofo.

I also have "tattoo hangover" - I slept 10 hours last night from being so tired, my neck and back are sore (probably from lying down funky while being tattooed and tensing up a bit) and I got a killer headache.

Soooo.... next appointment in 3 weeks :D

I just leave shit bandaged overnight to spare sheets and these days I'm having the most luck just leaving shit alone

[x] for bandages overnight.

[x] for black sheets. I don't know that we intended to go that route for goopy tattoos, but when we got the sets a couple years back we were both getting tattooed a lot more frequently.

[x] @Pugilist nice job on creating the best commisery (word?) thread. ("Frustrated, Inc...")

I just leave shit bandaged overnight to spare sheets and these days I'm having the most luck just leaving shit alone

My other tattooed buddy and I spoke about this. The less we do (within reason) the better off we have been healing. Since I am usually wearing blood-drenched saran wrap I take that shit off asap

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had most of my thigh outlined yesterday. It's not really that bad except I've already sworn I'll never take just flopping thoughtlessly down into a chair for granted ever again. The hardest part will be keeping the cat from jumping on me and marching on it.

I can deal with the pain and soreness but the itchiness of a healing tattoo is unbearable sometimes.

This. I just got the outline on a Medusa done about a week ago and it's been itchy as hell. The swelling wasn't bad at all, but I'm having to slap myself because I keep inadvertently itching it.

my inner bicep is so itchy :( and still mildly sore even though it was done a week ago. aughhh.

I know there are far worse spots, but I hated getting my inner bicep tattooed. It swelled up so much and took a while to heal. I know that when I'm doing my ribs that I'm going to wish that I still had my inner biceps to do, but right now I am glad that I only have two of them and that I'm getting my other one done in the next few months.

Getting my elbow tattooed wasn't as bad as I was expecting, healing it sucks.

I know there are far worse spots, but I hated getting my inner bicep tattooed. It swelled up so much and took a while to heal. I know that when I'm doing my ribs that I'm going to wish that I still had my inner biceps to do, but right now I am glad that I only have two of them and that I'm getting my other one done in the next few months.

Getting my elbow tattooed wasn't as bad as I was expecting, healing it sucks.

yea i prob wont get my other arm done in a whiiiile (too broke) but i am NOT looking forward to the other inner bicep :/

Yep, I HATED getting my inner arm tattooed, but the others after that have been cake in comparison. Not looking forward to my ribs, but that's still awhile away. I think the thing that sucked about the bicep the most was that it was extremely difficult to get comfortable; keeping my arm up caused a lot of soreness in the rest of my arm, and every time a piece of my clothing ran across it I felt like a Brillo pad was being scraped against my skin. Next arm, I'm doing that part first so everything else pales in comparison.

I got it done at Dovetail Tattoo here in Austin. If your artist lives in Virginia I don't think that was me. :D

*grammar edit

Thanks. My artist just did the outline of a Medusa on someone last week. Good luck with yours!

Also, just got my chest panel colored and my elbow done yesterday. Not too bad today, but it was uncomfortable to say the least. I've been working on the sleeve and chest panel since February, probably 8 sessions. One session to go. I'll be so glad to be done. Next up is a ladyhead and wolf on my calf.

• 3 weeks later...

week 2 with new tattoo on left leg above ankle. I can't sleep on my favorite side, the left side, I can only sleep on my right side or my stomach or back. My back is sore from sleeping on just one side. The foot swells up at random times and the area of where the tattoo is at still stings and tender. One small tattoo and so much pain...

I second the persistent swelling of the inner bicep. I swear my arm was twice the size and it just like hung there and shook with every little move I made. Not doing that again for awhile.

This weekend I'm getting the tops of my shoulders done, and not looking forward to no bra straps and having to keep it covered at work while it heals. Does any one have a preferred type of clothing material to wear over a healing tattoo? I'm so worried that I'm going to flake off the ink at work... Probably should have just taken the next day off, but need to pay for the tattoo!! :)