In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

My red on my ankle is still blech. I mean, It's healed successfully, but there is still a scab back from November on it, and if I dont lotion it everyday, looks like a white film over it. It looks fine once I put lotion on it, so I guess Im lotioning my ankles everyday from now on.

I was a huge Aquaphor fan but decided to try and dry heal this piece I got from Greg Christian Tuesday night. So we're on day 3 and my forearm is still a bit swollen and tender. The skin has that funny fuzzy texture just before it flakes off. I feel like I'm getting a lot of scabbing compared to when I used Aquaphor, though. But I didn't have ANY weeping (when I use Aquaphor, I get SO MUCH of that crap).

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking for this thread for ages! Wanted to share my pain and also amazing discovery of HiBi Scrub! It's what surgeons use to wash their hands.

I was concerned about a little area which is no bigger than my finger tip but it had a bit of puss under a scab so I went off and bought me some of that stuff. I can't recommend it enough! Gave it all a wash with the HiBi Scrub and it's worked wonders on it! most of the peeling has gone and the trouble area has improved in just two washes.

So happy to of found it! One of the precautions says to avoid contact with brain and spinal cord, that's some serious shit!

Mine is still peeling, but one chunk finally came off, and it is lighter than the other areas. I wonder if my sleeves may have rubbed my wrist making it come off too quickly. I will have to get a touch up. How soon after the initial tattoo can I get it touched up? Mine is over scar tissue as well so this may complicate things.

Mine is still peeling, but one chunk finally came off, and it is lighter than the other areas. I wonder if my sleeves may have rubbed my wrist making it come off too quickly. I will have to get a touch up. How soon after the initial tattoo can I get it touched up? Mine is over scar tissue as well so this may complicate things.

I think two weeks is a general time frame for being able to safely work tattooed skin. I would wait well past that point before you consider a touch up though. Give it a couple months to fully settle and heal and then evaluate the tattoo again.

Thanks for the help, Brock. I figured I would wait a little while, but my artist offers touch ups for free but I don't know if there is a time frame for that.

Contact your tattooer and explain the situation, he may want you to come right in, or he may have you wait. Best course of action on any question about your tattoo is to always ask the person who tattooed you first.

Oh man! The knee tattooing piece wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, except for a couple spots around the edges of the knee cap it was ok. But the heat and swelling today is TERRIBLE. Just awful :(

I found antihistamines really helped me out with that. Fair play getting your knees done! How is it with moving around?

I found antihistamines really helped me out with that. Fair play getting your knees done! How is it with moving around?

I'm moving around pretty good once I get going - there's always that first few moments when I first stand up that I have a total "oh hell" thing going on but it abates quickly.

Oh man! The knee tattooing piece wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, except for a couple spots around the edges of the knee cap it was ok. But the heat and swelling today is TERRIBLE. Just awful :(

It's *much* better today. Still a little swollen but it's possible to make out the edges of a knee cap in there.

A dementia-lady accidentally kicked me in the knee today though and it was AWFUL - totally saw stars there for a minute. She didn't mean to, it was just a thing...

The ankle isn't nearly as swollen with this one as it has been with the calf tattoos so that's good.

Ok,

So Im just a little bit sore, a little bit itchy, but it is healing up nicely.

Still a little red in the heavier shaded spots and some of the line work where there are lines overlapping or close together.

I get to start aquafor tonight, so I'm pretty happy to be able to moisturize.

I worked out a little bit last night and after starting really dialled it back as it was irritating it a little bit.

• 1 month later...

I had a huge chunk of my lower leg tattooed on Tuesday, and HOLY SHIT healing the knee ditch sucks. Everything else is fine, though sleeping has been tricky the last two nights, but FUCK YOU, Mrs. Back-of-the-Knee. The tattooing itself was really pretty easy for the most part, but unbending my leg is the worst healing pain I've had to deal with so far. Kinda like someone is taking razor blades to that crease. I just hope that it heals well enough that I don't have to do this again. Okay, whining session = over.