In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

I started wearing longsleeves almost year round to protect my arms. It's dumb, I know.

I need some more lightweight long sleeved shirts but I'd like to do so as well. Partly to protect the tattoos from the sun, partly to keep them from public view.

Healing is going well, but getting my forearm tattooed in the summer is goddamned stupid because while everybody is out wearing shorts and t-shirts, I'm sweating it out in long sleeves trying to keep a healing tattoo out of the sun.

Edinburgh had its one day summer yesterday and everyone else was walking around half naked and the only part of me not covered was round my collarbones ! Pale skin all the way (glad I did because my peely waly Scottish chest is now sunburnt. It was about 18 degrees haha)

Healing is going well, but getting my forearm tattooed in the summer is goddamned stupid because while everybody is out wearing shorts and t-shirts, I'm sweating it out in long sleeves trying to keep a healing tattoo out of the sun.

skin cancer runs rampant in my family, I don't think anything but my face has seen the light of day in about 15 years!! (Ok, not really that bad!! But I am super careful about it... )

@hollyjoybee I lived in Glasgow for about three years and I remember those days very well, so many topless pasty guys turning bright, bright red. @else I've never been super into hanging out in the sun. I'm fair skinned and tend to burn rather than tan so trying to keep out of the sun isn't really a stretch, but I am a lot more conscious of it now. It's just a matter of trying to find the right clothes to stay comfortable and cool while keeping covered up.

Guest theyearsummerendedinjune
I started wearing longsleeves almost year round to protect my arms. It's dumb, I know.

I feel you on this one. People think ive lost it.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is all healed and is finally starting to be truly healed, as in the shiny quality is starting to go and I can rub it against something without it feeling tender. I am enjoying festival season when I can show them off. I don't care if it's bad to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a client of mine in newport beach (cab driver) get tattooed on his left arm it was summer time and he wasnt the brightest color in the crayon box but a great guy, anyways i did a Shawn Warcot frankenstien flash piece on his left forearm he drove around all day with plastic wrap on his fresh tattoo all day in 100 degree he came in the next day with his tattoo about 2 inches raised off his arm and green puss spewing out of all of Frankenstein s features. i washed it and wiped off the Quarter inch thick layer of slimy foul sun backed skin and told him to come in every other day so i could see how it was healing up. it took 3 weeks and one touch up to be good but lesson learned i never let a client leave without specific instructions on no sun exposure!!!!

BTW: that was in my second year as an tattoo artist

I got my elbow done recently....whew that was bad...I had to sleep on my right side for 3 days bc I didn't want it to touch anything, and wanted to keep it straight. The pain was pretty bad that first night too, but oh so worth it! Actually had a very quick recovery - fully healed in 7 days. Pretty crazy.

Healing the ditch is pretty serious business, huh? Glad I only have to do it once more.

Never a truer word has been spoken!

The rest of the tattoo has healed fine now (two weeks later) but the ditch is still scabbed and itchy.

At least I know what to expect in a couple of months time when I get the other one done!

Healing my knee hasn't been nearly as bad as I was expecting--my right leg is ALMOST the same size as my other leg already--except my cat seems to think my kneecap is exactly where he should stand with all his (admittedly slight) weight at least three times a night. My cat's an asshole.

Healing my knee hasn't been nearly as bad as I was expecting--my right leg is ALMOST the same size as my other leg already--except my cat seems to think my kneecap is exactly where he should stand with all his (admittedly slight) weight at least three times a night. My cat's an asshole.

Your cat is a cat, but yes.

One of my cats always craves attention when we leave her alone for a couple of days and while she left my fresh tattoo alone she decided that it was a good idea to wake me up in the middle of the night by pawing me in the eye. The time before she tried pawing me in the mouth but I guess she didn't think that was effective enough.

Your cat is a cat, but yes.

One of my cats always craves attention when we leave her alone for a couple of days and while she left my fresh tattoo alone she decided that it was a good idea to wake me up in the middle of the night by pawing me in the eye. The time before she tried pawing me in the mouth but I guess she didn't think that was effective enough.

Yeah, ever since I got back Monday one of mine has been on me constantly--I think he thinks if he can figure out a way to sit on my lap 24/7 I will never leave the house again. He tried the face-batting technique but bothering the wounded bits of me nets the most dramatic response.

cats are attention whores, but i love them. we used to have this fat cat named orf, who would never let us play a board game, would always go right up and lay down on top of it. So we moved all board games to table top. Then our old ass cat right now will meow her head off, if we dont jump to do what she wants, but when we do, she acts like she doesnt want it anymore. We have to let her in and out of the house like 10+ times a day, the number being so high because sometimes she waits at the open door and turns back around to go inside, only to be meowing to be let out 5 min later

I do have to mention it seems dogs like to lick fresh tattoos...my buddies dog always try to lick my fresh tattoos...gross

Haha, I've noticed this too. Reminds me of the Spider Murphy's aftercare card, I always thought it was hilarious.

"Don't get wasted, pass out on your friend's couch, and let the dog lick it all night."