In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

God damned swollen thigh. Tried wrapping it the first two nights and it made my massive thunder thigh blow up twice the size. Everyone at work keeps commenting about my nice dresses and skirts ... I cannot wait to be back in my jeans next week and look like my frumpy self!

God damned swollen thigh. Tried wrapping it the first two nights and it made my massive thunder thigh blow up twice the size. Everyone at work keeps commenting about my nice dresses and skirts ... I cannot wait to be back in my jeans next week and look like my frumpy self!

It's too late for you this time but I've been taking arnica tablets to reduce the swelling. You need to start taking them before you get tattooed though...like starting a day before, then throughout the day you get tattooed, and then after depending on the swelling. I still get swelling with it, but the last session hit my ditch, inner arm, and kind of into my armpit and it wasn't too bad. When I got my other inner arm done, without arnica, it basically doubled in size. I know there are a million variables as to why people handle tattoos differently, but I think it's at the very least worth trying.

It's too late for you this time but I've been taking arnica tablets to reduce the swelling. You need to start taking them before you get tattooed though...like starting a day before, then throughout the day you get tattooed, and then after depending on the swelling. I still get swelling with it, but the last session hit my ditch, inner arm, and kind of into my armpit and it wasn't too bad. When I got my other inner arm done, without arnica, it basically doubled in size. I know there are a million variables as to why people handle tattoos differently, but I think it's at the very least worth trying.

I've had good results with arnica for other things. It hadn't occurred to me to use it pre-tattoo, I'll definitely give it a shot next time and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

My lat feels like I lifted up my arm and let Mike Tyson go to town. So tender!

I was curious what that would be like, so I watched this.......

"

Hopefully you made it to the hospital okay, and I've prepared some flowers to be sent to your room.

This isn't so much about healing; more of a tale of common sense taking a short vacation.

I made the mistake of returning to the gym after a long (looooooong) absence the day before I was having my left calf tattooed. I didn't consider that I'd be spending much of the day on my right side, putting my weight heavily on my arm. Needless to say, 24 hours after my first workout, my arms were immovable lumps of cramped jello. And after a 2+ hour tattoo session, spent mainly leaning on my elbow, and despite occasional breaks in the action, my arm had basically frozen like rigor mortis into an L, T-Rex style. It took all my will and the help of the shop assistant to get it moving again. I kept muttering "Oil can" like the Tin Man as shoulder, elbow and wrist slowly, agonizingly, creekingly reengaged. The next two days were spent recovering from my right arm cramps, which served to keep my mind off any dull throb that may have been emanating from my newly tattooed calf.

Compared to that pain, bring on the healing.

This isn't so much about healing; more of a tale of common sense taking a short vacation.

I made the mistake of returning to the gym after a long (looooooong) absence the day before I was having my left calf tattooed. I didn't consider that I'd be spending much of the day on my right side, putting my weight heavily on my arm. Needless to say, 24 hours after my first workout, my arms were immovable lumps of cramped jello. And after a 2+ hour tattoo session, spent mainly leaning on my elbow, and despite occasional breaks in the action, my arm had basically frozen like rigor mortis into an L, T-Rex style. It took all my will and the help of the shop assistant to get it moving again. I kept muttering "Oil can" like the Tin Man as shoulder, elbow and wrist slowly, agonizingly, creekingly reengaged. The next two days were spent recovering from my right arm cramps, which served to keep my mind off any dull throb that may have been emanating from my newly tattooed calf.

Compared to that pain, bring on the healing.

Ack! This is going to be me when I start doing yoga again after a month hiatus for my thigh tattoo. I'm already having trouble touching the floor since I took a break after my first tattoo session.

Healing tattoos suck all around. I miss working out! I miss the pool! I miss sleeping comfortably! Wah wah waaah!

Ack! This is going to be me when I start doing yoga again after a month hiatus for my thigh tattoo. I'm already having trouble touching the floor since I took a break after my first tattoo session.

Healing tattoos suck all around. I miss working out! I miss the pool! I miss sleeping comfortably! Wah wah waaah!

Oh pools...I haven't swam in almost 3 years now because of tattoos

• 3 weeks later...

U

Me neither!

Also now that I am healing a big chunk of my upper back: not being able to wear a bra sucks a lot.

I have worn bras all throughout healing my back, as I realllly can't go without. I do wear the softest ones I have that dig the least, but I've never had any healing trouble from bra wearing. Although, I definitely could imagine that it I was able to go without, I probably would, just in case!

I took a more dry heal approach with the last piece I got and my arm is all cornflakes and barnacles. I feel like Pig Pen from Peanuts but it's not dirt, just scabs flying off me wherever I go.

"When did you buy and eat fruity pebbles?"

"What?"

"There are fruity pebbles all over the couch!"

"O those are just skin flakes from my healing tattoo."

ps. fruity pebbles are a great cereal and i haven't eaten them for years.

U

I have worn bras all throughout healing my back, as I realllly can't go without. I do wear the softest ones I have that dig the least, but I've never had any healing trouble from bra wearing. Although, I definitely could imagine that it I was able to go without, I probably would, just in case!

Thanks good to know!!! I didn't bring anything soft with me to New York, but once I'm home I'm gonna try it. As of right now that upper back bit doesn't even like my purse strap over two layers of clothing.

Thanks good to know!!! I didn't bring anything soft with me to New York, but once I'm home I'm gonna try it. As of right now that upper back bit doesn't even like my purse strap over two layers of clothing.

Oh I definitely don't find it enjoyable at all, but I've just been pleased to see that bra wearing doesn't seem to adversely affect healing for me. It still feels terrible.

"When did you buy and eat fruity pebbles?"

"What?"

"There are fruity pebbles all over the couch!"

"O those are just skin flakes from my healing tattoo."

ps. fruity pebbles are a great cereal and i haven't eaten them for years.

I had a similar conversation with myself.

Also realizing the whole fruity pebbles correlation made me get sick at the idea of eating them.