In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

Just into day 4 now, but I find the itch worst just before the tegaderm can come off at the end of day 3. Horrid. Urgh, and the crusty feeling from the plasma and ink. Am used to eczema so the later, dry itch isn't such a bother but that day 3 itch <shudder>

All better now though. Elbow is looking good, nice and smooth but not drying yet. So, fresh -derm on there, another 2 days at a guess. The colour only bits are 'cooked' and -derm free - shedding the sweetest, thinnest, almost colourless flakes.

Does any one deal with scabbing on a regular basis? After every appointment with Dana I suffer from it and lose ink density in the worst spots. My windbars are patchy at the darkest parts and he'll have to touch up almost every one.

What is your aftercare routine? I scabbed bad when I tried healing with ointment (aquphor, etc) and dry healing. As a result I have some large patchy areas on my first tattoos :( but I think I only notice because I can inspect my tattoos all day long and can find at least one healing "imperfection" on all my tattoos. It was very frustrating so I switched to rewrapping the area in plastic wrap every 8 hours for the first 2-3 days. Ans have had great success so far.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

What is your aftercare routine? I scabbed bad when I tried healing with ointment (aquphor, etc) and dry healing. As a result I have some large patchy areas on my first tattoos :( but I think I only notice because I can inspect my tattoos all day long and can find at least one healing "imperfection" on all my tattoos. It was very frustrating so I switched to rewrapping the area in plastic wrap every 8 hours for the first 2-3 days. Ans have had great success so far.

Yes it was with dry healing and lotion. I normally re-wrap for the night after the tattoo, I guess I'll wrap the following 2 nights as well and make sure the area stays soft. I never really got in to aquaphor. I just use Neosporin combined with hand lotion. Thanks for the input. Hopefully it works for me.

Read @Cork 's post before bed last night (CET) and spent all night dreaming that my poor elbow was all scabbed and cracked :rolleyes: Scary stuff!

I have skin that's a bitch to heal even a graze or scrape on - it dries out and splits at the drop of a hat, even just from too many showers, but I've not had any of that with my tattoos. Started off with re-wrapping but that was a bit too touch and go for my liking so moved over to tegaderm sharpish and it's been fab.

Progressing nicely, I think (end of day 5, if I'm counting right, not sure):

6c8a2d722c5a495dad0ee74335628deb.jpg

55abdf74903a4941e3aff122d19ac3af.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why the photos have come up so massive - sorry!

-derm thread for Cork: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/4795-tegaderm-saniderm-tatuderm-healing-process.html

• 2 weeks later...

So, elbow is about 2 1/2 weeks old - my healing is always a bit slower than average after the first week, I'm told.

Despite managing to avoid scabbing I fear I may have managed to damage a couple of little lines during healing, is it even possible to lose ink without scabs or is the fading on these lines likely to be an occupational hazard of tattooing the thicker skin on the elbow? :confused:

Am back in for my next session on the 16th, obviously I'll ask then but, well, I'm impatient!

- - - Updated - - -

The point being, I'd be very embarrassed to have to ask for a touch up if it's my fault I lost ink (or if I, in fact, haven't lost ink and it'll all be alright when it's healed) and less so if one should know to expect it here.

Excuse my ignorance, I've only been getting tattooed since October, elbow is tattoo number 4. Haven't buggered things up before!

It's been two weeks since I had outlines done on my back and I'm surprised how well it's healed. Haven't been using any lotion whatsoever, but have been taking extra showers and washing with unscented soap. Taking showers the first few days after getting the tattoo done though... felt like having tiny razorblades cutting up my whole back.

I've got this fresh tattoo here... The line work I've had for a little while, but I just got it filled in 4 days ago (pics below).

The first is from the day I got it (Tuesday), the second from today (Saturday). It seems like its really crusting up a lot. My last tattoo had some minor scabbing but healed fine, but I don't remember it being so CRUSTY!

Aftercare has been washing 2-3 times a day with warm water and Dial soap, used light coating of Aquaphor first 2 days and have been using unscented Lubriderm maybe twice a day since.

Has anyone else had big crusty buildup like this? It doesn't really seem like scabbing, just a very THICK beginning to the peeling stage! I don't really like putting lotion on it right now because it seems like it just sort of gets built up in the thicker parts. This is less attention that I've given my previous tattoos, I've been trying out a more minimal healing approach. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

(the color in the pictures is more dramatic than in person, lighting was MUCH brighter in first pic)

picture006.jpg

picture013.jpg

My feet scabbed a little, and then when the peeling started, everything stood straight up and looked so incredibly silly/strange, like weird petals sticking up off my feet. One of my coworkers was so freaked out she wouldn't stand by me b/c it made her want to throw up. I'd just keep putting your lotion on whenever you feel you need to, and it will heal just fine.

I'll also add "LESS IS MORE" and you can't go wrong.

Agreed!!! In my exp this is especially true with your choice lotion. I use aquafor and I nc cover my whole lower arm with two tiny tiny drops..

I've used less and less at a time with each new piece and they seem to be healing better better.

Healing seems to be one of those things where there is so much info out there good and bad, it's easy to get confused and over do it.. What I do now, six heals later vs what I did they very first time is so simple..

Wash.. Wait.. Lotion.. Repeat..

No switching lotions, no patting or scratching and minimal sun and water.

Agreed!!! In my exp this is especially true with your choice lotion. I use aquafor and I nc cover my whole lower arm with two tiny tiny drops..

I've used less and less at a time with each new piece and they seem to be healing better better.

Healing seems to be one of those things where there is so much info out there good and bad, it's easy to get confused and over do it.. What I do now, six heals later vs what I did they very first time is so simple..

Wash.. Wait.. Lotion.. Repeat..

No switching lotions, no patting or scratching and minimal sun and water.

Exactly. So many tattooers have said to just wash (and not like obsessively--I probably wash twice a day the first week and once a day after that) and let it dry out completely and then apply the teensiest bit of lotion. My thigh tattoo covers the whole front of my thigh and I literally use a pea size amount. A dot more and it's scab city.

Exactly. So many tattooers have said to just wash (and not like obsessively--I probably wash twice a day the first week and once a day after that) and let it dry out completely and then apply the teensiest bit of lotion. My thigh tattoo covers the whole front of my thigh and I literally use a pea size amount. A dot more and it's scab city.

Always nice to hear others having success with a very similar method!! I do wash more often though and am planning to scale that back a hair with my next one.

Does anyone else have absolutely no healing problems at all?

Within 48 hours all the swelling is gone, after the third day no real pain, fourth day is pealing, skin remains slightly sensitive to touch. 5-6 days starts to settle in and then by the seventh day feels like it did before I had it done.

A simple routine of washing with plain white soap 3 times a day followed by bepanthen. Then after 7 days back to washing with regular shower gel, cocoa butter once a day at night as a long term moisturiser.

The only thing I'm not sure on is if I should be using an exfoliating scrub on my tattoos..