In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

The only thing I'm not sure on is if I should be using an exfoliating scrub on my tattoos..

I think I would stay away from an exfoliating scrub because they are designed to remove dead skin cells and it's best to let the flaky tattooed skin fall of naturally not forcefully to avoid pulling ink out.

I think I would stay away from an exfoliating scrub because they are designed to remove dead skin cells and it's best to let the flaky tattooed skin fall of naturally not forcefully to avoid pulling ink out.

Sorry I wasn't clear there. I meant for long term care.

Exactly. So many tattooers have said to just wash (and not like obsessively--I probably wash twice a day the first week and once a day after that) and let it dry out completely and then apply the teensiest bit of lotion. My thigh tattoo covers the whole front of my thigh and I literally use a pea size amount. A dot more and it's scab city.

Yeah I've been using less lotion this time than before, I think I'll use even less on my upcoming! Healing is truly a trial and error process... But in the end I find you usally can only do so much damage... After all, they are very hard to get rid of :p Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone, I'm starting to see the results poking through from beneath the ugly stuff

I just sat for a shade under 10 hours on friday, did my (new) usual, leave plastic wrap on overnight, wash dry and Tegaderm in the AM, leave on 3 days and when you take it off you're done except the "sunburn" light peeling stage. Annddddd that's where they get me. That itching sensation is the worst annoyance in this damned world

Combine that with my hairy back which is already starting to grow back, and it feels like someone is constantly lightly rubbing a 100% wool sweater across my back. Akkkk!

Before i tegaderm'd I used to ruin all my clothes though, plus my sheets which my wife loves to explain were real expensive

So far, nearly everything about my newest tattoo is smooth sailing. Maybe it's because it's the inner part of my lower leg so it's kind of tucked away more than any of my others, but I actually keep forgetting it's there. Just a really faint stinging sensation all last night and this morning, no swelling, and not nearly as much of the horrible "rush of blood" feeling that I got with the previous lower leg tattoo. Here's hoping it remains uneventful. :p

Hi -

I'm a new member and wondering if anyone has every seen anything like this? I followed aftercare to the exact letter....was looking good but had more scabs than I was expecting. And then after my shower and lightly patting yesterday, I'm left with HUGE craters in spots. I LOVE my new tattoo and am concerned both about the health aspect and about how it will look when it heals. I'm out of town and can't visit the studio that did the tat (by the way one of the most reputable in Atlanta, GA) and am not sure what I should do with it at this point - continue the moisturizing? Let it dry? Maybe use a couple of doses of antibiotic cream (which I've heard is a no-no)? It's very painful and at times is flaming red around the edges. I am slightly anemic and don't know if that's an issue but was hoping for some advice!! Having trouble adding an image but I put one on my introduction a few minutes ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my largest tattoo yet just two short days away... A (sort-of) rainbow zebra! Just some great image from a tshirt I found at a thrift store. Getting it from Jordan Epperson at No Regrets in Memphis.

It's gonna go on my side, along my pant-line, below the ribs.

Anyone have sage advice or wise words for wearing a seat belt with healing a tattoo that is exactly where the seat belt needs to go?

I'm also hoping it won't interfere too much with my banjo practice. The banjo must go on.

• 2 weeks later...

Convinced I'm getting too old for this shit, but pretty proud of sitting through the outline on my belly last night.. though I did feel like a crazy person when we finished. All I could think was, "There's no way I can start my back.. there's no way I can start my back.." The worst part is the shitty sleep, though. I sleep on my front, so I basically spent last night dozing off and then having to get comfortable on my side again. Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh