In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

I think the lotion I'm using is mildly scented, but does that matter if it's not irritating my skin?

I'm not using much either, but I'm curious, what is the risk of over moisturizing? Does it slow healing?

I think the idea is that you want it to be able to "breathe," so moisturizer should be used sparingly.

Less is almost always more: less product, less handling... Keep it clean and protect the surface but otherwise generally try not to keep fiddling with it.

This gels well with a dry or drier approach to healing, in my experience.

Sounds like the same theory of the "derm" products. Whole separate thread on that topic. Take a look.

Sounds like the same theory of the "derm" products. Whole separate thread on that topic. Take a look.

Yep, I've read it (I think I even posted in it).

What I posted above doesn't necessarily apply only or even mostly in relation to tegaderm though... Actually it's even more relevant if applying a product of some kind.

My latest tattoo: I wash it, keep it clean and have otherwise literally forgotten about it. If it gets really really arid I might lightly moisturise it, but basically I'm just letting the body do it's own thing. The less fussing and handling the better.

I thought I'd also mention, especially since I just got my lower leg tattooed, that lower leg tattoos just plain suck to heal.

I'm healing a lower leg tattoo right now. I walk with a slight limp because of it, haha. So far the healing is pretty normal for me.

I still say the worst places to heal are ditches.

I'm healing a lower leg tattoo right now. I walk with a slight limp because of it, haha. So far the healing is pretty normal for me.

I still say the worst places to heal are ditches.

I only have one arm ditch done and it really sucked to heal, I'll agree. But lower legs are so slow to heal so the sucking lasts longer. I bet knee ditch is the fucking worst. But I'm an idiot so I'll do those eventually.

I just got the back of my calf done, right in the center. It's a tiger's face, about 4x4 inches. And holy hell, it's been the absolute worst to heal. Especially first thing in the morning when I stand up out of bed, or randomly throughout the day, it basically feels like hot lava is flowing through my veins. It's terrible. Terrible terrible terrible. I have a handful of tattoos, including good sized ones on both thighs, and this is the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

And talk about swollen.

1970815_10202660885097056_1007349983_n.jpg

I just got the back of my calf done, right in the center. It's a tiger's face, about 4x4 inches. And holy hell, it's been the absolute worst to heal. Especially first thing in the morning when I stand up out of bed, or randomly throughout the day, it basically feels like hot lava is flowing through my veins. It's terrible. Terrible terrible terrible. I have a handful of tattoos, including good sized ones on both thighs, and this is the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

And talk about swollen.

1970815_10202660885097056_1007349983_n.jpg

Yup - Right in the sweet spot. I hated that heal. Agony.

^ The whole lower leg is agony. I'm doing a sort of leg sleeve thing from the knee down, and I still need to fill in two little areas: the shin and the back of the calf. I'm actually dreading the calf a lot more. I am SO looking forward to getting work done above the knees for a change...

Speaking of which, finally pain free on my lower leg tattoo. Now just super itchy and skin is flaking off left and right. :eek:

Sooo, wait a sec, just how long does this agony stage with the lower leg last? A day? A week? Weeks? What are we talkin' here?

For me personally, I was mostly pain free by about day 5. For the first 2 or 3 days, every time you go to stand up, it feels like your leg has the worst bruise imaginable and someone is squeezing it as tight as they possibly can. My artist warned me this would happen when we did my first lower leg one, but I didn't really know what he meant. So I kind of hopped out of bed the next morning and was instantly crippled by the pain and had to sit down again. For those first couple days, it takes me a good few minutes to stand up and get moving and then I'm limping everywhere. It seems to be the longer your leg stays elevated, the worse it gets when you do stand up...but if you don't elevate your leg, it swells up like a balloon. Kind of a lose-lose outcome.

I usually only give myself about a day to recover and head back to work when I'm still in the hobbling stages. Luckily my job is mostly sitting, so I can tough it out. I wouldn't dream of going back to work so soon on a job that's primarily standing...

If I can piggyback on that question, how much time off work do you allow yourselves for healing a leg tattoo?

None! Not being macho, but the only stuff I took days off work for were my back and front, when I had lining done and didn't want my shirt and pants sticking to me (horrible feeling).

I agree lower leg tattoos bring swolleness and pain, but sitting at home with them would be overkill, IMO. Save those sick days for when you want to go surfing on the sly, or drinking beer.

None! Not being macho, but the only stuff I took days off work for were my back and front, when I had lining done and didn't want my shirt and pants sticking to me (horrible feeling).

I agree lower leg tattoos bring swolleness and pain, but sitting at home with them would be overkill, IMO. Save those sick days for when you want to go surfing on the sly, or drinking beer.

Agree 100%...it's just a tattoo, you're not really damaged....

Sooo, wait a sec, just how long does this agony stage with the lower leg last? A day? A week? Weeks? What are we talkin' here?

I'm on day 5 (today is Friday morning, tattoo was on Sunday afternoon). And it's still pretty bad. I think the worst is first thing when I get out of bed and the blood flow starts down that direction. The best I can compare it to is hot lava. The first couple of days, it made me grit my teeth, but yesterday and today, it's more like "Wait for it, wait for it. OH, there it is. Ow ow ow ow ow." As long as I keep it somewhat lotioned up, I can walk normally, but if it gets the slightest bit dry, I have to walk to my toes, so it doesn't stretch out the skin (being a girl, I've just been wearing heels, which helped a TON).

Granted, my american traditional guy is pretty heavy handed, and really packs color in there. I'm a stay at home mom, so no time taken off of work. And just because Mommy wants to get tattooed, doesn't mean that I don't have 4 kids home that want me to play with them or go to the park. :) We went to a friends farm yesterday, and after walking around for a few hours, I was starting to limp pretty badly, but it is what it is.