In this thread, we commiserate about healing our fresh tattoos.

Pugilist

I had some work done on 5/9 and used Aquaphor on it. Definitely the best healing I've ever had. No thick scabbing at all, just light flakes and all I use now is body lotion. It itched a little for a few days but nothing uncomfortable.

Rob

Yeah, for years I just used plain white lotion. About a year ago I started using Aquaphor for the first three days and my healing has been so much better.

Gaaaaah. That special feeling of pooling blood, ink and plasma dripping down your back under the saran wrap, waking up after a late night session. Definitely brewing some coffee before dealing with this mess.

Bummed, we couldn't finish up all the details on the angelfish scales last night because he said my skin couldn't take any more abuse. Hate having unfinished sections.

Been two weeks and most of tattoo has healed except for a few places. It looks scabbed over, and I have resisted the urge to scratch. Was using lotion, but going to try aloe vera a couple times a day and see if that helps. I go back June 5, and hopefully it will be fully healed.

@SeeSea ugh I'm dealing with all that right now too. Two days post beautiful thigh injury (and my personal longest sitting for a tattoo) and I am sore as hell. Slept like shit last night too. I'm trying not to be too tender with my leg though, I know the guys at work will give me shit for it if they see me limping around, haha. It'll be the coffee & Advil diet for me today.

Healing my first tattoo in 3 years. Also my first thigh tattoo, so I'm assuming this won't take too long to heal up as it's much closer to my heart and gets better circulation. This is also my first attempt at using saniderm. I have to wear a uniform for work (tights and a skirt) and can't imagine trying to heal a thigh tattoo underneath stockings. It would be disgusting. I'm on day 2 and it still feels pretty awesome, I'm taking aspirin, as well as elevating my leg and icing it when I can (like now-sitting on the couch pretending to write a paper for school). I think I'll leave the saniderm on until sunday morning as that's when I get home from work and don't have to worry about my uniform. That will mean I've worn it for 6 days, but the instructions say 3-7 days so it should be good!

I've dry healed for all my other tattoos (back piece, calf piece, and two sleeves) so this is a totally new experience for me!

So we bought one of these wrappable ice packs when my husband started getting his leg sleeve, and it's rad

Perfect to take down swelling alongside some anti inflammatories and elevation.! It's a flexible gel pack that sits in a sleeve with stretchy elastics to velcro it on. Well worth the 20$ or whatever I spent on it.

I have slapped the heck out of my arm over the past few days...I forgot how much tattoos itch when they are healing! It'll be healed just in time for my next session next week, and I can start all over again.

Gotta say, I LOVE the start my artist made last week though. It could probably stand on its own.

I have slapped the heck out of my arm over the past few days...I forgot how much tattoos itch when they are healing! It'll be healed just in time for my next session next week, and I can start all over again.

Gotta say, I LOVE the start my artist made last week though. It could probably stand on its own.

Come onnnn... you know you want to share a piiiicture! :)

I'm five days out from a 5 hour outer thigh tattoo. Definitely my biggest, and my first leg tattoo. Healing has been annoying, and it's still pretty painful and tender, and it's super scabby and peeling like crazy. I have a feeling my pants will be disgustingly full of skin when I get home from work today...

Is it typical to still be pretty sore and tender this far out? I don't remember my other ones hurting this much for this long.

I'm 5 days out on my big thigh tattoo as well, and although it's not really that sore anymore, it's itchy as fuck under the saniderm. I credit taking anti-inflammatories and icing it (plus elevating it) to it not being really sore anymore. Can you ice it?

Well it's good to know that it's not unusual to still be sore. It's much better today, the most sore areas are definitely the ones curving toward the back of my leg. Anti-inflammatories help, can't do much icing at work.

The peeling today is out of control.

I'm a week out from an add-on piece to my lower leg...I was so surprised at how much swelling I had in my foot! It's finally starting to go down now. All my other pieces are on shoulders, wrist, etc. and I've never had a large piece on my leg, so I was a little freaked out about it for a few days. It's in the peeling yuck phase right now..and only an outline, so I get to look forward to more of the same when the color is added next week. Blergyykk!

• 2 weeks later...