Hello from...?

Energy

Hello everyone, will try to keep this short!

I grew up in a few places around the world, mostly Australia, and still live on the road so that's why the "From...?" title. I'm a tattoo enthusiast, not a tattooer, and next year I will have been collecting for 25 years.

Got my first tattoos at Tony Cohen's Illustrated Man studio in Sydney - he tattooed the original members of Rose Tattoo and I would say being a fan of that band was what got me started on this journey. After I had got my first tattoo or two a friend gave me a copy of Tattoo magazine imported from the US. It featured the work of people like Jack Rudy - suddenly I was aware of just what the possibilities on skin could be and what was going on beyond Australia at the time in those pre-internet days. So started travelling and collecting over the years, now wear the good, bad and ugly results of my choices, and more interested than ever!

Currently I'm involved in producing a documentary on the history of tattooing in Australia, and I hope to post on this forum to get any input that might help or who might be the people to try and talk to.

In case you're interested have been tattooed by (more or less in order I think):

Terry Roberts - Illustrated Man, Sydney

Tony Cohen - Illustrated Man, Sydney

Creeper - Tattooland, Anaheim

Vyvyn Lazonga - Madame Lazonga's, Seattle

Nino - Rising Dragon, NYC

Kian Forreal - Inner Vision, Sydney

Anil Gupta - Inkline, NYC

Milena Sergi - Bologna, Italy

Yamato Bonten - Tokyo Japan

Jack Rudy - Tattooland, Anaheim

Michie Kojima - Sacred Heart, Vancouver

Mike Parsons - Doc Dog's, Tampa

Sailor Jerry Swallow - The Dutchman, Burnaby BC

Pat Fish - Santa Barbara

Jose Lopez and Abey Alvarez - Lowrider Tattoo, Orange County

Steve Wimmer - Monster Tattoo, Delaware

Tom Renshaw - Eternal Ink, Michigan

Boris - convention

Horimasa - Gunma, Japan

Horiyoshi III - Yokohama, Japan

Brittan 'London' Reese - MD Tattoo, Northridge

Bob Tyrrell - convention

Uncle Tim Heitkotter - Blue Tiki, Kauai

Jake Burton - Fat City, Burnaby BC

Cory Ferguson - Good Point, Oakville

Don Nolan - Acme Tattoo, Minnesota

Next on the list - hopefully Ian of Reading in the UK and a traditional hand poked piece in Cambodia or Thailand

Take care

Energy

Hi @Energy welcome to LST. Now thats a list to be proud of! Would love to hear more about the documentary your working on and who your looking at interviewing :) Depending on who you are already looking at, I may have a couple of suggestions for you ;)

- - - Updated - - -

(And who doesn't love a bit of Rose Tattoo ;))

Thanks heaps Duffa. Will post on the general board when I can about the doco. Basically looking for people who have made a difference to the industry in Australia over the years - so far have thought of Cindy Ray and Trevor McStay in Melbourne and Tony Cohen in Sydney. Any suggestions or ideas welcomed!!

Hi @Energy welcome to LST. Now thats a list to be proud of! Would love to hear more about the documentary your working on and who your looking at interviewing :) Depending on who you are already looking at, I may have a couple of suggestions for you ;)

- - - Updated - - -

(And who doesn't love a bit of Rose Tattoo ;))