How do you react to positivity???

gougetheeyes

A partner thread to the stares thread because of a little exchange the other day.

Walking down the street in my running clothes towards a pack of super loud teenagers you'd usually wanna smack around with a rolled up newspaper (or, around here, maybe worse..). Obviously just out of school, running around like little assholes.. always puts me on edge. Goddamn kids! But I walk by and they all quiet down and just kinda look at me and once I passed one kid goes, "Hey dude, we like yo tattoos!" No laughing, just stayed quiet. I said "Thanks buddy!" And I thought, man, I'm such an asshole for always thinking the worst of these kids, that was a really positive exchange.. even if it was them kinda staring at me.

I guess I woke up on the right side of the bed today! Anyone got good, positive stare stories? I know there are a few buried in the stares thread..

pretty similar situation as @gougetheeyes - walking down the Strand in Galveston and 4-5 street urchins were behind us and they started praising my leg sock. They asked and I let them get a better look and then one of the girls saw my chest was done and very respectfully asked if they could see it. All of them were at least 6-7 years younger than my youngest kid, so I was a bit surprised by their admiration.

Except for some disapproving looks from folks in their 70's and 80's I've never had any negative comments as I recall. I've had a few "Sick ink, brah" comments from douchetard 19 year old boys before, but technically that's still positive...

Side note: I got a tiny, nickel sized spider with a number 13 tattooed on my thumb this past Friday, April 13th and at least once a week or so, despite all this elaborate stuff visible from shoulder to wrist on both arms, I hear "Whoa, you have a spider on you thumb!?! Dude that's awesome"!!!

I don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

A guy at work asked me about my tattoo, and showed me one of his. His was a Shel Silverstein reference with a ton of tiny, super unreadable script. He said it was his "anti-tough-guy tattoo," and that the lettering was "supposed to be impossibe; guys who have been tattooing for 20 years wouldn't even try it." I don't think he realizes that those old timers had good reasons not to try it. Anyway, I just ended the conversation ASAP since I didn't want him to keep putting his foot in his mouth.

Visiting my parents in the hick-town I grew up in a few months ago, my first port of call was the supermarket. I got a few stares of the nasty variety (and a lot of the obvious "OMG she saw us, don't look!"), but I also got some surprisingly positive reactions. One massive bearded guy came right up to me and started talking about how I reminded him of his daughter who plays roller derby, and how it's great that tattoos are "much better these days than when I was gettin' em!" with his arms all dotted with cool (but faded as hell) old work. That was pretty sweet.

Another time while waiting for the bus, a guy and his girlfriend struck up a conversation with me about tattoos. He'd just got out of prison and had covered about 70% of himself with self-done biro-ink-and-burnt-bay-oil, cd-player-motor tattoos. They looked a lot better than I'd expected, he'd even done his own kneecaps pretty neat. They weren't really people I'd normally talk to (justified a few minutes later when they started harassing an Aboriginal girl and yelling racial slurs down the street) but it was kind of cool to get the chance.

You can see the beginning of my sleeve even with a long sleeve shirt on. As much as I love tattoos and tattoo culture...I sometime don't like to entertain people and show them the rest of my arm. It isn't that I don't want to let them see...its more like after a million times it gets old.

On another note, the overly positive responses that border on mocking are what I do not care for. It's like some people think that being overly positive will make them part of some "tattoo friendly club".

There was an incident at the grocery store the day after my first sitting on my tiger. I could tell this woman was staring at me. I looked at her and she sort of apologized and asked if I minded if she looked at my tattoo. I said sure. She told me it was beautiful and so I told her where I got it done. Then...my 4 year old exclaims to the woman, "You are from China! You're a China girl!" I was so embarrassed. I was like, "uh, honey, we don't know where she is from!" The woman laughed and said, "You're close--I'm Filipina." Haha, kids. I mostly get positive reactions. I don't pay much attention to people I don't know usually but if someone is really interested, I'm polite.

A very cute and outgoing 3-year old boy befriended me recently, too, while I waited for my daughter in ballet class and he waited for his sister. We chatted about pets, zombies, games, etc. He said, "your tiger is cool." High praise coming from such a cool little kid.

I hate everybody so I just mumble a "yeah thanks" and wait for them to finish ringing up my groceries.

Hold it. Are you trying to tell me that you don't want to hear about how their faded tribal koi fish riding a unicorn the size of a dime on their shoulder blade reminds them of the frog that ran away when they were three years old????? You probably don't want to hear about their plans to get "tatted up" with a full body suit that they are planning to get done by the guy that does their brother-in-laws next door neighbor's scratching in his basement weekends when he's out of prison on work release. What kind of heartless person are you? :-)

Except for some disapproving looks from folks in their 70's and 80's I've never had any negative comments as I recall. I've had a few "Sick ink, brah" comments from douchetard 19 year old boys before, but technically that's still positive...

Side note: I got a tiny, nickel sized spider with a number 13 tattooed on my thumb this past Friday, April 13th and at least once a week or so, despite all this elaborate stuff visible from shoulder to wrist on both arms, I hear "Whoa, you have a spider on you thumb!?! Dude that's awesome"!!!

I don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Haha I get the same thing! I have a tiny anchor on one of my fingers and that is the one that people compliment the most. It's so weird. My arms are fucking bright but they don't seem to notice them. It's always "OMG!!!! I love your anchor!!!"

I've had compliments from both my doctor and vet about how beautiful and colorful my tattoos are. My doctor has even mentioned how she loves looking at my tattoos and likes seeing the new ones and how she pretty much only sees shitty tattoos all day everyday. I also had a little old lady stop me in the grocery store and start pulling up my sleeves to see my tattoos. Normally I don't like strangers touching me but this lady really loved my tattoos.

I do however get really annoyed when people say "sick tats!" or "sick ink!"

I had a little kid run over to me at the gas tank while i was filling the bike and just touched my arm. Dont know why, but that kid got to me. And i do get a lot of wow , hugs and touching my arm on the playground where i teach from the younger kids. They just dont care, and love the colors. So for the terry fox walk ( walk for a cure for cancer in canada) i got a bunch of water tattoos of him. I will hand them out tomorrow at the event. Cant wait to see their face! I am a softy way way way down deep....

I'm still doing the doctor thing from my 2011 car accident and was in for ultrasound therapy at the chiropractor recently. The technicians, all cute ladies.... ask about mine and tell me they want to get some.

Another time over the summer I was an an outside engagement party and all the young people were asking what shop I go to.. nothin' but good compliments. On the beach, some of the older ladies fuss over me and check them out, ask me what they mean, I tell 'em its mainly about the artwork.

CG

ive said a few times in my relatively short period of time here, that i feel as if im rare because i actually enjoy it.. or just talking tattoos with people in general.. as long as its not the flyby douhe "sick ink, brah" type, like i said in the stare thread, its cool.. and the only reason sick ink brah guy isnt cool is cause i doubt he even saw any of the work as much as he saw a guy who was inked and wanted to look cool giving props..

my buddy on the other hand.. hell fight you for stares and better not ask him abot any of his work.. were usually pretty bent, and im like yo, youre sensitive, but lets start shit anyway..

Hold it. Are you trying to tell me that you don't want to hear about how their faded tribal koi fish riding a unicorn the size of a dime on their shoulder blade reminds them of the frog that ran away when they were three years old????? You probably don't want to hear about their plans to get "tatted up" with a full body suit that they are planning to get done by the guy that does their brother-in-laws next door neighbor's scratching in his basement weekends when he's out of prison on work release. What kind of heartless person are you? :-)

I think I like you.

around here it seems like people are into tattoos... sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's kinda strange.

Once when I was at a bar, this skinny, pale, wild-eyed guy runs into me, nearly knocking me (and my drink!) over, and goes "I love your tattoo! Will you take a picture with me?" This guy's clearly hammered so I laugh and say sure. I stand next to him and smile while his friend holds up his phone. He looks at me posing, frowns, then grabs my arms and spins me around sideways. Then he leans down right next to my tattoo (its on my upper arm) and takes a picture of himself smiling next to my arm. Then he stumbled away without another word.... haha. his friend gave me this look like, "Don't ask me..."

I say thank you and really try not to engage it. Most people get it. Some ask to see more. DEpending on my mood I show or don't. I don't mind the questions most times. The only one I really ever mind is the what does it mean to you or why did you get that? I sometimes tell people my tattoos have no meaning. One woman came up to me randomly and said she didn't like tattoos and thought they were disgusting. I told her I thought the same about unsolicited opinions. She didn't get it.

I work in social housing a lot here in UK and get asked a lot to show off my sleeve. It's a very well done piece by Bugs at Black Mamba Tattoo here in Oxford. I feel proud to show it off to those who want to see it. I do howeverbget some negative comments, but I always saybits one ofvmy only vices next to drink drugs and women, that usually shuts them up.

...One woman came up to me randomly and said she didn't like tattoos and thought they were disgusting. I told her I thought the same about unsolicited opinions. She didn't get it.

I was with a friend who has a ton of old work on him and this random lady says to him, "you look disgusting". He replies, "you obviously have no mirrors in your house". The husband walks over and starts to say something, wisely takes his hag by the arm and walks off.

Rob

i smile and tell them they're really cool and thank them. i tell them that without them i wouldn't look different. it throws them off. then i try to draw them into a longer conversation which offers an opportunity to expose the fact that they are almost certainly dunces

@Colored Guy

I always find it weird when people who volunteer a vaguely offensive remark to me about my tattoos get all offended when I respond in kind. It's like they think they can say what they like and expect no traffic back.

My baby sister got her first tat the other month tho I do not approve very much.. Well let me explain I dont mind at all but placement is the key IMO she got hers on the top of her forearm "Keep believing" Shes just out of school looking for a full time job and yeah the old saying you can not judge a book by its cover... yeah I think shes screwed