best option for laser removal?

YOMONEY

does anyone know or has anyone undergone the tobil infrared machine for coverup work? in san antonio they a have a community thing that charges 50 a session.. its not laser, and its a white light so it just zaps shit off.. i know it can leave your skin fucked up, at best discolored.. i know a lot of people (ex gang members and shit) opt for this over their ink, but havent heard of any coverup stories..

• 1 month later...

I recently got a sleeve around my right calf that didn't turn out the way I had hoped, so thinking about removing the tattoo. It's all black and grey, with a combination of dark and lighter shadings (the artist actually only used 1 color ink, and diluted the ink with water for the lighter shadings). I think the ink used was Intenze, but not sure if the artist uses various different brands for different colors. The color of the ink is the blackest ink I've seen, almost like charcoal. I read black is the better color for removal, but not sure what sort of ingredients are in the ink.

I've read from many forums including this one from people saying it hurts really bad to have tattoo removed, and I know pain is relative, but I'm wondering how bad it really is. I'm sure some readers might have experienced this, but when the artist did my tattoo, at the end of the session (after about 6 hours), he went through the back of my calf (which at this point was pretty raw) a second time with a mag shader as well as a flat needle, for approximately 8-10 minutes. That was the most painful part of tattooing I've experienced so far. So I guess my question is will the laser removal be alot worse than that?

@Mike Panic I wonder what normal laser settings are used e.g. Pulse Rate, Fluence, Spot Width? Do treatments usually start low then gradually increase in intensity in subsequent sessions?

I was quoted to require 12 treatments, but I think I'd probably need more than that..damn.

For my 1st session (2 weeks and 2 days ago), the pain was a bit worse than tattooing. I can't relate it to some dude going in with a jackhammer 6 hours into it, tho.

From what I've learned so far, the different frequencies are for different colors, and the 1st session is the most brutal. I can let you know if the 2nd session is any better at the end of Jan. My motivation to get something fabulous to cover the old tattoo easily gets me through the pain.

12 treatments??!! Are you looking for blank skin or just to lighten and open up the cover possibilities?

There are some parts on it that are super dark and quite dense, so those spots will require more sessions to even lighten. Not sure about cover up yet, will have to see how well the removal goes before I can even begin to think about how to cover it up, and given 1 session every 3 months, it's gonna be a while!

I started laser treatment on a large chest tattoo back in october. So far I have had 2 treatments and it is being done in 2 halves due to the size of the tattoo so I have the first side of the tattoo done and then the other side done 2 weeks after. My tattoo is black with shading and then colours around the outside which are dark green and a few small bits which are fluorescent green.

So far I have gaps in certain areas from where the laser has worked and the green has gone a lot lighter but the fluorescent green will not work with the laser. I have 2 full sleeves and I think that having laser is a lot worse even though each laser session only lasts about 40 minutes. Due to my tattoo being on my chest I experience bleeding which isn`t very pleasant and also bruising, swelling and redness. I had my last laser treatment a week ago and my chest is healing, I just have some crusty bits and the skin is flaking a bit.

Originally I wanted total removal but I am being realistic and don`t think this is possible so now I am gonna go for a cover up once my laser is finished. I have paid for 5 treatments and you get 2 free so its 7 treatments for the price of 5.

First, I wish all of you the best.

I too am heading for a consultation this week on my upper left arm/shoulder. I have a 3 face old school(23 years) huge tattoo that I am looking to lighten up so that I can complete a legitimate, attractive and meaningful sleeve. Im not sure it will "dissapear" completely so I am hoping for the best.

Its very interesting how times have changed. While in the USMC around '86 I was at school at Bethesda Hospital, MD for field medical and preparing to deploy for Embassy duty, there were many men in for tattoo removal so that they could qualify also. The only technique was coarse salt groud in circles to remove tattoo until the bleeding got to bad thhen let it heal a bit and keep coming back until gone. Hence the reason I cant even eat much less look at salt now. Fuck that.

Thank you all for sharing your exp..

mine needs to be broken up into multiple parts as well cos its too big. Yeh, I know complete removal is prob not gonna happen, but prob be happy if it fades to a point where it'd good enuff. Im just abit apprehensive about a cover up, like what if it gets Fucked up again after all those laser treatments

@Mike Panic I wonder what normal laser settings are used e.g. Pulse Rate, Fluence, Spot Width? Do treatments usually start low then gradually increase in intensity in subsequent sessions?

I was quoted to require 12 treatments, but I think I'd probably need more than that..damn.

It varies a lot based on the machine, person operating it and the person receiving treatment, it's too wide for me to just throw numbers out there.

Each treatment will increase though, as pigment fades. 10-12 is what most will tell you is minimum to remove any tattoo, again there are just so many variables in the equation that I've seen some totally go away after 6 or 7, others take 16+. Since the immune system does a lot of the work, it's best to treat your body right, especially during healing. Stay hydrated, follow the aftercare protocol to the T and give it time. This article has been floating around a lot lately Smoking, Ink Color Affect Laser Tattoo Removal basically saying that smoking also slows down the rate at which the tattoo fades, something to consider if you're a smoker.

Thanks Mike. But one more question if you don't mind, do you think it's too soon to start lasering after 2 weeks of getting tattooed? Mine seems to have healed pretty much (feels like normal skin, I can scratch it with no problems).

I look at the ink and alot of it seems to be just sitting on top of the skin dying to be lasered away! I can see through the ink and see my skin tone for alot of it (grey shading). But I hear so many different recommendations on lasering fresh tattoos, don't know what to believe.

So I understand, you were tattooed 2 weeks ago and you want it lasered already @awso? I'd wait at least 4-6 weeks if I'm understanding you properly.

Also, lasers work by breaking the pigments up in the skin, very little if any comes up through the top, most all of it is carried away by your immune system. Because the laser will dehydrate the skin, it's best to ensure fresh areas are fully healed, from the outside in. While it may look fine on the surface, remember tattooing is an invasive procedure, so there's underlying tissue that also needs to heal.

Hi i attached a picture of a tattoo i have i want to removed whats inside of each blue block, how many sessions before it can be faded it out, on the chain im adding the name i have over it i didnt like the way it was done, also what would be an estimate to fade both?

The price will depend on your location and what your local facility charges @miguel, to fully remove a tattoo though we generally tell people 10-12 treatments. Given the variables, some people need 8 and others need 14+. If you're covering it up with another tattoo, getting 3-6 treatments before hand will help your artist out for sure, but that's a discussion you need to have with both the the tattoo removal company and your artist. It's important to keep the artist in the loop so they can see the progress.

12 treatments sounds high. Maybe for complete removal. I've heard around 5 or 6 before a cover up.

I too was disapointed by my first tat and started the removal process a month after. I'm now into my 6th week of healing from my first laser session and have seen pretty good results. As for the pain, I did pop a Vicodin, drink a beer, and take the numbing cream as well as iced it but still felt some discomfort. Certainly not as painful as getting the tattoo but I'll have to get lasered sober next time to tell you for sure. My treatments are $200 ea. btw.

brews and pain pills.. thats crazy man.. did you bruise up from that? not trying to get on a high horse, cause i def popped some chill pills before my first treatment cause i was scared as shit.. but try not doing that next time, try tons of water.. im only saying that because im sure youre results will be much better!

• 1 year later...