Our Endless Days

i'm currently reading stoney knows how

i just started reading this the other night. in the introduction, the author talks about cases of tattoo removal in the late 1800s and early 1900s. i had no clue that this was possible.

i have a question for you tattooer that may know the answer-how was this done? i'm assuming the that the tattoo had to be cut or scrapped off, but who the hell knows.

Can't say for sure about hwat methods were used but I don't think they were usually just straight cut-off. I know that the salt-removal method goes way back, and lemon-juice, and I've read accounts of dilute muriatic acid being used to "crumble" the skin so it could be, basically, scraped off.

I did see an ex-member of a fairly large 1% Patch have his club tattoo-full forearm, removed with a wire brush in the parking lot of a bar. He did it willingly, I guess it beat the alternative!

Another thing to consider, "cosmetic" tattooing was fairly common even way back when, and hand-poked work is usually easier to fade. Given that, I'd hazard that it may have been possible to lighten the stuff a tad, then go over it with "complexion" coloring.

Can't say for sure about hwat methods were used but I don't think they were usually just straight cut-off. I know that the salt-removal method goes way back, and lemon-juice, and I've read accounts of dilute muriatic acid being used to "crumble" the skin so it could be, basically, scraped off.

I did see an ex-member of a fairly large 1% Patch have his club tattoo-full forearm, removed with a wire brush in the parking lot of a bar. He did it willingly, I guess it beat the alternative!

haha fuck

Poke some cream inside the skin, it should get infected, scab and you can peel it off and hopefully some ink will come with it. I have heard that this is one of the old school things. Might not be from the early 1900's, but somewhat old.

One method, which I read in a piece with Bowery Stan, was silver nitrate and Tannic acid. I have also heard of spirits of wine (?) and pigeon dung, which would be alcohol and a base.

Stoney's method, however ineffective, is very healthy. Good for your eyes too!