Our Endless Days

i'm currently reading stoney knows how

i just started reading this the other night. in the introduction, the author talks about cases of tattoo removal in the late 1800s and early 1900s. i had no clue that this was possible.

i have a question for you tattooer that may know the answer-how was this done? i'm assuming the that the tattoo had to be cut or scrapped off, but who the hell knows.

Can't say for sure about hwat methods were used but I don't think they were usually just straight cut-off. I know that the salt-removal method goes way back, and lemon-juice, and I've read accounts of dilute muriatic acid being used to "crumble" the skin so it could be, basically, scraped off.

I did see an ex-member of a fairly large 1% Patch have his club tattoo-full forearm, removed with a wire brush in the parking lot of a bar. He did it willingly, I guess it beat the alternative!

Another thing to consider, "cosmetic" tattooing was fairly common even way back when, and hand-poked work is usually easier to fade. Given that, I'd hazard that it may have been possible to lighten the stuff a tad, then go over it with "complexion" coloring.

Can't say for sure about hwat methods were used but I don't think they were usually just straight cut-off. I know that the salt-removal method goes way back, and lemon-juice, and I've read accounts of dilute muriatic acid being used to "crumble" the skin so it could be, basically, scraped off.

I did see an ex-member of a fairly large 1% Patch have his club tattoo-full forearm, removed with a wire brush in the parking lot of a bar. He did it willingly, I guess it beat the alternative!

haha fuck

Poke some cream inside the skin, it should get infected, scab and you can peel it off and hopefully some ink will come with it. I have heard that this is one of the old school things. Might not be from the early 1900's, but somewhat old.

One method, which I read in a piece with Bowery Stan, was silver nitrate and Tannic acid. I have also heard of spirits of wine (?) and pigeon dung, which would be alcohol and a base.

Stoney's method, however ineffective, is very healthy. Good for your eyes too!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Posts

• Here’s my progress so far on my sleeve from Bobby Cupparo @ LOVEMACHINE N.Y.C. We’re about 25 hours in so far - I think we’ve roughly got about that left before the project is finished. I had (and have) ink fallout from black inks so my blacks usually need some touching up.  The lionness was the first piece of the sleeve to be worked on, and was recently worked on this past Saturday. The mandrill is a few months finished at this point. Everything usually gets touched up a slight bit going into each session to address problem areas. 
    • Nice! Are you Pittsburgher or bleed black and gold?
    • Yeah, no. You still don't know what you are talking about. Sorry, but don't make generalizations. They aren't helpful, and they are baseless.
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

• Instagram #LastSparrow

• Recent Topics

• Similar Content

• By cragdw
      so i have "1,000 Tattoos" and "Vintage Tattoos: the book of old-school skin art"
      both have been great. can anyone point me toward some other books? not really interested in traditional japanese stuff, however relevant. just American for me
      D
    • By phickey
      Just got these last week brand new condition, signed by grime. 175 shipped. Low on cash atm.
    • By shaunmcfadden
      im shaun im 18 and im a tattoo apprentice form ireland i was just wondering if someone could hook me up with somewhere to buy some great resource books any style at all
      thank you.
    • By Our Endless Days
      i've read these two books and highly recommend them:

Can anyone recommend me any cool books to read?
    • By rads
      Hi,
      Does anybody know if the new Milton Zeis book, Tattooing as you like it will be made available in the UK? I've looked in to ordering it but the cost of the book and the shipping itself works out at £106 or $168. I know it's worth paying the cost rather than buying a couple of books that aren't that much good but to me it's still a lot of money to part with! So I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas before I spend a fortune on shipping to find that it's available in the UK in a few months time!