What's your EDC knife?

Mike Panic

The one thing I can't seem to find, and maybe I'm just being too needy, is an EDC that carries ultra-deep and doesn't have a stupid looking clip. One of the best looking clips IMHO is on Spyderco's

img-spyderco-caly3-cf6.jpg

Which are spendy, and are not assisted open. SOG makes the Flash 1 / 2, which is super deep, but I'm meh on the design. The other problems I'm finding a lot of assisted open knives that have clips that ride deep that are tip down only carry, which I hate.

• 1 month later...

My EDC is a CRKT Ayan (don't believe they make that anymore). I also usually have an SOG Field Pup in my bag (man, that is a sweet little knife).

For something "nicer" on my belt, I'll take a well-polished Buck 110.

For anything camping-like/more rugged, it's the Ka-Bar USMC.

I own a lot of knives, but my favorite under $100 is the Kershaw Cyclone.

They are hard to find unless you shop online. They got assisted opening

that you can turn on/off with a switch on the handle. The shape of the blade

is perfect. The only thing I would change is add some grooves or stippling to the handle.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZWJTNXXOL3RVj70MIeiPAW8IEH2n7GWPxYrUt0FMgQenDsAqpag

• 1 month later...

I know this thread has been dead for a little while, but I just picked up a Benchmade Mini Griptilian for EDC and holy crap do I like it. Great size, nice folding action, and the Axis lock feels real strong.

It replaced one of these:

opplanet-crkt-5660-knife.jpg

Had the CRKT for over a year and while it's a great looking knife it leaves a little to be desired functionally. Before that I carried a Kershaw Leek that I liked, but the blade steel seemed pretty weak and dulled very quickly.

There are definitely cheaper options out there, and I was even a little turned off by the price initially, but once I took it out of the box I started to change my mind. My main concern was the composite handle, but it has a really nice weight to it and does grip very well. Plus, it's made in the USA, the blade is a nicer steel than you find on a lot of similar priced knives, and it comes with a lifetime warranty AND sharpening policy. If you hunt around Amazon you should be able to find one for around $70. I'm also not a big fan of Spyderco's cut-out instead of thumb stud opening, but that just comes down to personal preference.

This is 85% what I want from a Benchmade Benchmade 300SN Ball Axis Flipper Folding Knife Sand G-10 (3.05" Satin Plain) - Blade HQ

The only real problem is that it's ugly as sin and who knows is they will make it with black G10. I also love the deep carry pock clip but loath the mirror polish. To buy it means custom making scales for it and having a friend powdercoat the clip. Hopefully they listen to the demand out there who is saying FIX IT

• 3 weeks later...

I recently started to carry the Wenger Ranger 155 armyknife. That thing is awesome. Good grip, not that heavy, sharp as a razor straight out of the box and lots of functional tools in it. It is bigger than your average swiss armyknife which i like since my hands are on the bigger side. Best purchase in a while

i just started looking at knives and the range of stuff that's out there is nuts. better late than never, i guess! i'm keeping it fairly low budget (for now), currently carrying a SOG Trident Mini and a Kershaw Cryo is in the mail. i tend to have an addictive/collecting personality, so knowing that, my wife said, "you should just get ONE!" i'm already up to two (shhhhhhh!) and interweb surfing for more.

does anyone check out the EDC website that Jeff Crib mentioned in his LST interview? there's definitely some good stuff on there and it's influenced me to start carrying a flashlight too (fenix E05). again with the better late than never, i'm finally putting together a go bag. one of the first things i put in was dryer lint, per Jeff Crib's fire starting demonstration. after reading this thread, i'm strongly considering the addition of a ka-bar.

this forum's full of enablers!

i just started looking at knives and the range of stuff that's out there is nuts. better late than never, i guess! i'm keeping it fairly low budget (for now), currently carrying a SOG Trident Mini and a Kershaw Cryo is in the mail. i tend to have an addictive/collecting personality, so knowing that, my wife said, "you should just get ONE!" i'm already up to two (shhhhhhh!) and interweb surfing for more.

does anyone check out the EDC website that Jeff Crib mentioned in his LST interview? there's definitely some good stuff on there and it's influenced me to start carrying a flashlight too (fenix E05). again with the better late than never, i'm finally putting together a go bag. one of the first things i put in was dryer lint, per Jeff Crib's fire starting demonstration. after reading this thread, i'm strongly considering the addition of a ka-bar.

this forum's full of enablers!

Get a nice little magnifying glass for your bag too. Non expensive and comes in handy for making fire when other options aren't available or are in depleted supply or you have to ration them.

• 1 month later...

I EDC a spyderco wannabe made by Byrd Byrd UK Legal Knives: Byrd Tern --- Heinnie Haynes - Knives, Pocket Tools and Accessories

and I keep a 3 blade whittling knife in my bag for when I'm bored.

P.s for those of you in the UK the rule on knives is you're allowed to carry one sans excuse if its's a non locking folding knife with a blade sub 3" (confirmed by my local police station) the only exception to that rule is if you take it somewhere where there are rules against carrying ANY knives i.e schools, planes, some government buildings. But you won't be charged with carrying an offensive weapon you'll get charged with some sort of breach of peace charge or threatening behaviour.

Oh there is a final caveat, If you stab or threaten anyone with it your previously legal knife becomes an offensive weapon (anything can be an offensive weapon in the UK if you use it like that from your J 2o bottle in the bar to a can of deodorant).