the new kid at school.

Romance & Worship

hey folks! my name's jeff. i am a 29 year old artist and tattoo enthusiast from oakland, ca. i have been following lst from the get-go, and i am stoked and grateful you dedicate your time to making it happen. as someone who is actively seeking any and all knowledge on becoming a purveyor of the craft of tattooing, i find the information and discussion here to be very useful and helpful. thanks guys!

i love any piece of art the stirs the emotions and evokes my true feelings of life. i find that a lot in realism, pop surrealism, and illustration. as far as tattoos go, i have a real passion for the design of american traditional and traditional japanese, which are also great emotional pieces that tell a story. recently i have been looking at indian art from the 16th and 17th centuries that blows my mind, they tell epic stories and use wonderful colors. i also really love the work of jondix, although i don't exactly know what type of art to refer that as. is there a proper term for that type of design that you know of, or is he taking things from other art forms like tribal, polynesian/spanish floral design, architectural, egyptian, etc.(if those are even right?) to create something spectacular? i'm still trying to figure that out...

I asked the same thing about the style of tattoos Jondix and Thomas Hooper are doing on this forum but can't find it and remember it was never answered.....anyone? Man his name keeps coming up over and over again on this site and have been seeing more and more of his work in person and online.

I hope the user MsRAD, Robin, jumps in as she is a huge art historian from what I know and is also doing some work on Native American work????

Did you see the threads in Tattoo Designs? When you get a moment upload some of your art and tattoo pictures to your profile!

those threads helped, i thought i was the only one who wasn't sure what to call it. it's great none the less!

i've had so little time working full time and taking care of my lady, who's about to give birth any day. i've used my whole day off today to nerd out here and other places on the web and i'm not sure when i will be able to post some pics, but i am excited to do so as soon as i can. hopefully next week. until then, thanks!

hi Jeff, nice to meet a fellow art nerd!

i have no idea what to call Jondix and Thomas Hooper haha. maybe neo-tribal? actually, maybe neo-classical, considering that the classical period of tattooing is technically tribalism, since tattooing began as a tribal tradition. what do you think Lochlan? Jeff?

i will try to make the meet up at lanesplitters, sounds fun, but i just brought a new baby home today! i'm not sure if he'll let me go, he's the boss now!

i was also thinking the term neo-tribal would fit well, but you bring up a great point, being that the origins of tattooing do come from tribalism. i think i prefer neo- classical, it has a better ring and gives the art form a better level of respect i think.

great to meet you too!

i will try to make the meet up at lanesplitters, sounds fun, but i just brought a new baby home today! i'm not sure if he'll let me go, he's the boss now!

i was also thinking the term neo-tribal would fit well, but you bring up a great point, being that the origins of tattooing do come from tribalism. i think i prefer neo- classical, it has a better ring and gives the art form a better level of respect i think.

great to meet you too!

Congrats Jeff! no problem if you can't make it, as i'm sure we'll have more. just thought i'd extend the invite.

and after more thinking about it, i think neo-classical would be the appropriate term, but i'm not a critic and only an amateur historian at this point (hopefully soon to be professional) so i don't think the term will really catch on, and there maybe other's already establishing genre terminology.