Trip to San Fran

Cork

So looks like I can actually catch the Portland Tattoo Expo. We're driving to SF, so we're going to stay in Portland overnight.

Is it worth checking out? If I make that pit stop we'll arrive in SF at like midnight. So I'm a little torn. :)

I wish life decisions were always this fun.

Dont' waste your time with the convention, It's not run that great and there isn't hardly anyone there this year and all the big names are always booked out and crazy busy. Kundell doesn't attend the convention usually he just sends the other guys, but that is the booth I have hung out at last few years. I am not saying there isn't some people worth getting tattooed by, but it's out in the middle of nowhere, there is no food, beer is expensive and it really is not a good representation of Portland. It's not worth putting yourself behind schedule to see the convention, especially if you don't have time to get tattooed. Stop by Atlas, or AWR or Scapegoat and check out the real tattoo scene in Portland if you do stop, plus at least there are cool stores and restaurants by those shops.

I am not saying this to be a curmudgeon, it's not the people that suck, it's the show. I really like a lot of people that tattoo here in Portland, but year after year less people do the convention and most that do show up, have their booths compd, or else they wouldn't be there.

Dont' waste your time with the convention' date=' It's not run that great and there isn't hardly anyone there this year and all the big names are always booked out and crazy busy. Kundell doesn't attend the convention usually he just sends the other guys, but that is the booth I have hung out at last few years. I am not saying there isn't some people worth getting tattooed by, but it's out in the middle of nowhere, there is no food, beer is expensive and it really is not a good representation of Portland. It's not worth putting yourself behind schedule to see the convention, especially if you don't have time to get tattooed. Stop by Atlas, or AWR or Scapegoat and check out the real tattoo scene in Portland if you do stop, plus at least there are cool stores and restaurants by those shops.

I am not saying this to be a curmudgeon, it's not the people that suck, it's the show. I really like a lot of people that tattoo here in Portland, but year after year less people do the convention and most that do show up, have their booths compd, or else they wouldn't be there.[/quote']

@Kahlan this guy knows what he's talking about! Listen to him!

Might be fun to stop for lunch in Portland or something?

Thanks again! That sure made me feel a ton better for missing it. Turns out it starts at 2pm on Friday anyway so it would be so ridiculous ending up in SF at 2-3am.

We're making other fun pit stops, hoping to shoot some guns.

And I'm definitely gonna visit around Portland, no doubt. Which is why we decided on a road trip, saving us 400$ to boot.

Fuck yea, 3 more goddamn weeks to go. Been working my freakin ass off.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread for the family trip next month. The wife, kids and I will be down in Santa Cruz and San Fran August 5th through the 9th. We're mostly just sightseeing: Alcatraz, the dungeon tour, etc. Although I don't have any tattoo plans I would love to stop by a few shops to say howdy and just sightsee.

On to my main question: Are there shops in san fran that have art for sale? As of right now I haven't started collecting prints. Most of my energy has been spent getting tattoos, and now that I am on a little break I can see the value getting prints as a way to appreciate the art and scratch that itch at the same time.

Thanks!

Blackheart always has prints, shirts stickers etc. Defintley worth a visit.

Some of the guys at Spider Murphy's have prints etc but they're not usually displayed. If you go, ask to see if anyone has anything available.

If you are in Santa Cruz, go to California Electric (Thad Ritchey, Herb Auerbach and Stefan Johnsson). Beautiful shop and great tattooers. O'Reillys should be on your list down there too. See if Dan Wysuph has any of his "Oh California" prints.

Also, go to the mystery spot. It's great. And cheezy. But great.

Finally:

SF

FRISCO

THE CITY

Enjoy!

if you're purchasing art, think of how to transport it. a large tube could work, depending on how much art you plan to get. with all all the shops in the Bay, you can easily go broke on this trip!

Tattoo City! You might even be able to connect with Trevor for the good stuff, if you're so inclined. (IG trevor_lee_ewald)

keep an eye out for what Analog has up in the gallery here.

between The City and Santa Cruz, you'll likely pass San Jose. drop by State of Grace for some moichandizing. Monmon Cats, dude. i'm not even a cat person and i have half a dozen prints.