Trip to San Fran

Cork

So I'm heading to San Francisco next April for my honeymoon. I told my soon to be wife that San Francisco is home to some of the best tattooers in the world, and that it would be cool to get some squid stains while we are out there. Currently she has none, and I love her because her response first response wasn't "No."

So I pose the question to you, with all of the amazing artists out there, if you could only make it to San Fran possibly only once in your life, who would you go to?

We aren't looking for big pieces. Maybe nothing bigger than an hours worth of work on her and only a couple hours for myself. We both enjoy the Japanese style. Very open to suggestions!

So many tough decisions. As far as content goes...

Whether it be an ill omen or not, we are both pragmatic and realize that matching tattoos might turn to regret. So nothing of that sort. I am really pushing her to get a maneki-neko. She loves cats. Either that or a wicked awesome spider chrysanthemum (thank you spell check for that one) floral design.

I'm good with anything from Japanese lore. Ever since I saw @robz Hyottoko, I had an interest in one of those bad boys or a Daruma doll... just something simple. It depends on which place I pick.

That being said, I could also do a 180 and go for a Lehi tiger head. Too many choices!

So many tough decisions. As far as content goes...

Whether it be an ill omen or not, we are both pragmatic and realize that matching tattoos might turn to regret. So nothing of that sort. I am really pushing her to get a maneki-neko. She loves cats. Either that or a wicked awesome spider chrysanthemum (thank you spell check for that one) floral design.

I'm good with anything from Japanese lore. Ever since I saw @robz Hyottoko, I had an interest in one of those bad boys or a Daruma doll... just something simple. It depends on which place I pick.

That being said, I could also do a 180 and go for a Lehi tiger head. Too many choices!

If she loves cats I suggest she go to Horitomo at State of Grace and get one of his tattooed cat paintings. They are freaking awesome. I have two in my office at home.

I can't decide argh!

Also, those cats with tattoos paintings are freaking awesome. If you don't mind me asking, how much are they, @cvportagee?

Also, is horitomo tebori only? That might be perfect for a smaller piece. I've always wanted something hand poked.

You can purchase the prints for only $20. If you want an original it is quite a bit more. I know if you get the prints from State of Grace he will sign them for you. Horitomo does both tebori and machine.

I would go to Freddy but I'm just not in to Jesus/religious themed tattoos. And if I were to go to him, I would not get anything else.

SF is way easier to type, so I'll just go with that. :)

I'll send out a couple e-mails today and see what happens. I'll be sure to keep you all posted. Thanks again for your suggestions.

I would go to Freddy but I'm just not in to Jesus/religious themed tattoos. And if I were to go to him, I would not get anything else.

I used to feel the same way too. So I got Freddy to do roses instead. Such a cool experience getting tattooed by him. You should definitely consider Freddy and the rest of the crew at Temple.

Funny thing, I wasn't into religious tattoos at first, but now I want a Jesus head, haha.

Just a quick update. I e-mailed Grime and have not heard back yet. I called State of Grace and was told that Horitomo isn't taking any new clients until after March, so call back in a month to schedule something

So the plan is that Grime has a month to get back to me, otherwise I'm going to Horitomo. But the more I think about it, I have always wanted tebori, so I might just go with Horitomo anyway.

I need help on placement!! I think my ideal future situation is a bodysuit, so I need items to blend well with future water/bars background. You can see my gallery, I only have 2 tattoos so far. I'm saving my hamstrings/ass/back for a full piece, ribs for some birds, other pec for another large piece... Where can I jam something small/medium sized where it won't seem out of place?