Trip to San Fran

Cork

Just a quick update. I e-mailed Grime and have not heard back yet. I called State of Grace and was told that Horitomo isn't taking any new clients until after March, so call back in a month to schedule something

So the plan is that Grime has a month to get back to me, otherwise I'm going to Horitomo. But the more I think about it, I have always wanted tebori, so I might just go with Horitomo anyway.

I need help on placement!! I think my ideal future situation is a bodysuit, so I need items to blend well with future water/bars background. You can see my gallery, I only have 2 tattoos so far. I'm saving my hamstrings/ass/back for a full piece, ribs for some birds, other pec for another large piece... Where can I jam something small/medium sized where it won't seem out of place?

I checked on Grime earlier this past summer, and you'll likely here back from the shop manager (I guess) Jeremy - who will tell you he's booked out about 3 years. He ocassionally takes closer appointments for his days off (at time+half), but I don't think they book those this far in advance.

Hector Fong does some interesting Japanese work.

Also, Freddy Corbin's no one-trick pony; he can definitely do some mean traditional or non-religious black and grey (or even script if you're into that).

I have a black and grey Indian lady head from Hector. Hector kills it.

Getting some script from Freddy would be awesome. Definitely on my list too.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you gone to SF yet? Heard back from anyone? I called Diamond club just under 4 weeks before I traveled to SF and was able to get in to see Junii for a LARGE peony on my left flank. I just had the tattoo done this past Friday and I really can't say enough good things about my experience!

The tattoo is bonkers, it is so well done, so beautiful, so EXACTLY what I had in mind, and I really liked the vibe at the studio. Everyone was very nice, professional, welcoming and just plain awesome in general. Definitely the best tattoo experience I have ever had!

Soooo don't be afraid to call Diamond Club if Grime or Horitomo don't work out for you!! I suggest Diamond club regardless, actually! I had such an amazing experience and they work to accommodate travelers.

:)

Good luck!

Gilsdorf is on my list too. Dude kills it consistently.

It's amazing how available Dan is for tattoos in Oakland/SF. Trying to book him in Portland in virtually impossible, hence why I flew down there, even though I live less than a mile away from Atlas. I tried to get an appointment with Freddy Corbin and at the time I called he was booked for the rest of 2012, would still like to get tattooed by him, but not sure if its going to happen. Part of me just wants to go down to the bay area and see what shops I can walk into and get tattooed, I have figured out a new area I can squeeze some tattoos into, my stomach/torso area.

I need to stop getting on this forum, because now I have ideas in my head about getting tattooed.

Have you gone to SF yet? Heard back from anyone? I called Diamond club just under 4 weeks before I traveled to SF and was able to get in to see Junii for a LARGE peony on my left flank. I just had the tattoo done this past Friday and I really can't say enough good things about my experience!

The tattoo is bonkers, it is so well done, so beautiful, so EXACTLY what I had in mind, and I really liked the vibe at the studio. Everyone was very nice, professional, welcoming and just plain awesome in general. Definitely the best tattoo experience I have ever had!

Bill and Junii are such awesome people. Please post a pic of your peony! I can already guess that it has white-tipped leaves. :)

It's amazing how available Dan is for tattoos in Oakland/SF. Trying to book him in Portland in virtually impossible, hence why I flew down there, even though I live less than a mile away from Atlas. I tried to get an appointment with Freddy Corbin and at the time I called he was booked for the rest of 2012, would still like to get tattooed by him, but not sure if its going to happen. Part of me just wants to go down to the bay area and see what shops I can walk into and get tattooed, I have figured out a new area I can squeeze some tattoos into, my stomach/torso area.

I'm gonna try to get my appointment in with Dan hopefully by January. Gotta save up some extra cash before I book that.

I seriously lucked out with my Freddy appointment. I went in early June just to get on the list because I heard he was booked out till the end of the year. I pull up to Temple and there's Freddy just hanging out on the curb. He tells me he had a cancellation in July so I could take that spot. I say still keep trying to get tattooed by him. It'll be worth it. Such a great experience.

So many good shops down here. The amount of talent in this area is ridiculous.

• 9 months later...

Found this old thread, so I'll use this one instead of starting something new.

I'm visiting SF in October for 3-4 days. Definitely wanted to get just a few hours of work, nothing that will take up an entire day..obviously because of the limited time. I want to see this amazing city for the most part.(my first time there)

I noticed the suggestions were mostly for Japanese style. I'm not too crazy about that but definitely wrote down all the shops people mentioned.

Not sure if we're renting cars or whatever so I just need some advice on locations that are close and not an hour away..that we can just stay in the downtown core if possible. Unless the ones mentioned are easy to get to?

Im not sure if I'll have a planned idea for a tattoo beforehand, think I can wing it and just walk in? I guess its a chance you take at any shop..

Anyway any info would be great. I'm so stoked!

@Kahlan

Everyone, please correct me if you feel differently or have alternatives. For the short duration I lived there I felt any shop mentioned in SF is accessible. The city is pretty much 7 miles x 7 miles. I pretty much walked the span once or twice running errands. But if you're more sane, cabbing or bussing it anywhere is easy. State of Grace in SJ, is about an hour drive from SF. Typically I've driven but I guess you could take the train down too. Temple in Oakland should be an easy and quick BART trip over I believe. Spider Murphy's in San Raphael too should also be accessible but via ferry then bus I think. I'm not sure how long that takes though.

Hope this helps a wee bit.

The only reason that traditional Japanese was recommended, was because that is what I prefer. :) I'm sure you can easily find something out there to suit your tastes, unfortunately I can't really recommend anything since I only spent 7 days there.

Shops also worth noting:

Everlasting

Idle Hand

Picture Machine

Mom's Body Shop (ask for @Jacek Minkowski or Olivia)

Seventh Son

Warhorse Tattoo (Berkeley)

FTW Tattoo (Oakland)

Tattoo 13 (Oakland)

Analog Tattoo Arts Kolectiv (San Jose)

also, I can basically guarantee that there will be someone at any of the shops previously mentioned who can kick the shit out of any style you're looking for.

^^^Can't recommend Idle Hand highly enough! I only have one piece from there, but everyone at the shop is just killing it these days. A friend of mine gets tattooed by Erik Jacobsen, if you're into black and grey stippling and/or mandalas he's your guy.

Totally. And Aaron Hodges, Austin Maples, Jason Donahue, and Holly Ellis are all great in their own respects, too.

@hogg Absolutely, everyone in that shop lays down a quality tattoo. Hanna did a small one on my upper arm a couple years ago, and I've been following her, Austin, Jason, and Erik on IG for a while now. Holly and Iggy are great as well, I never meant to say otherwise. And the shop itself just feels great.

Oh, no, I didn't intend to suggest that you were saying otherwise. I just had to ride for the other folks there, too. :) I'm getting tattooed by Capilli there next weekend and I'm stoked on that, but also because it gives me a reason to hang out at Idle Hand again.

Thanks everyone! xox

Really appreciate the help! We decided on a road trip, so we'll have a car to get around. Making my options that much better.

I just wanted to get a little traditional piece, something that looks 'vintage'.

Loving the list of shops, that's so amazing!

Kinda wanted something representing California, but I can't think of anything. Maybe I'll find inspiration during the trip. :)

It's so exciting, haven't been outta this country pushing 10 years. 0_0