Trip to San Fran

Cork

Everyone, please correct me if you feel differently or have alternatives. For the short duration I lived there I felt any shop mentioned in SF is accessible. The city is pretty much 7 miles x 7 miles. I pretty much walked the span once or twice running errands. But if you're more sane, cabbing or bussing it anywhere is easy. State of Grace in SJ, is about an hour drive from SF. Typically I've driven but I guess you could take the train down too. Temple in Oakland should be an easy and quick BART trip over I believe. Spider Murphy's in San Raphael too should also be accessible but via ferry then bus I think. I'm not sure how long that takes though.

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Temple is about a 45 second walk eastward from the 19th Street BART station in downtown Oakland, and you can take a bus that goes along Van Ness in SF that will drop you off roughly 5 or 6 blocks from Spider Murphy's.

Incidentally, Diamond Club is on the aforementioned Van Ness and you will absolutely get quality work there. Blackheart is roughly four blocks from the 16th & Mission BART station in SF and everything else is easily accessible by almost any MUNI line.

I miss the City, sometimes. :(

seth wood will be starting at temple (oakland) beginning of october...his work is pretty badass and worth considering along with all the other artists named in this thread (many of whom i've been fortunate enough to get tattooed by!). my friends are still jealous i managed to get a couple pieces from chris conn before he disappeared, then reappeared with a $300/hour-three hour minimum rate down in LA...

olcovers649-L.zip&file=6493284-L.jpg

From Farewell to Frisco, say hello to San Fran - SFGate

Herb Caen, who wrote the book on San Francisco - several of them, in fact - put it this way in 1953: "Don't call it Frisco. It's SAN Francisco, because it was named after St. Francis of Assisi. And because 'Frisco' is a nickname that reminds the city uncomfortably of its early, brawling, boisterous days and the cribs and sailors who were shanghaied and because 'Frisco' shows disrespect for a city that is now big and proper and respectable, and because only tourists call it 'Frisco' anyway and you don't want to be taken for a tourist, do you?" But Caen himself recanted several times, most notably in 1993: "Adolescence is believing that 'Frisco' is a racy nickname for a city; senility is automatically saying 'don't call it Frisco,' maturity is figuring it doesn't matter all that much..."

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the only people I've heard say "Frisco" are natives. In my experience, only tourists call it "San Fran."

The City, SF, San Francisco. That's it!

- - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to get a little traditional piece, something that looks 'vintage'.

When you say vintage, I immediately think of Paul Dobleman, Stu Cripwell, Theo Mindell at Spider Murphy's. Heath Preheim at Temple would be your guy too. Juan Puente at Blackheart can do anything and everything. Jason Phillips at FTW in Oakland, too. Shit, too many options! This is why I don't really want to travel for a tattoo anymore (with the exceptions of Regino, Santoro, Boltz, etc.)

Kinda wanted something representing California, but I can't think of anything.

Jason McAfee at Temple kills it with the California tattoos. I would like to get one myself from him.

So looks like I can actually catch the Portland Tattoo Expo. We're driving to SF, so we're going to stay in Portland overnight.

Is it worth checking out? If I make that pit stop we'll arrive in SF at like midnight. So I'm a little torn. :)

I wish life decisions were always this fun.

@Kahlan if you haven't been to PDX before, it will be a fun stop!

Just looking at the list of artists I can see some familiar names from Seattle - folks from Apocalypse Tattoo, Artful Dodger, Steph from Madame Lazonga's and Aaron Bell from Slave to the Needle. Also the folks from AWR in pdx will be showing - i recently saw a Jason Kundell backpiece in progress, looks pretty rad! (being based in Seattle, it's just what my eyes were drawn to!)