Hurricane Sandy

Wedge

I work for a Fotrune-300 company with about 600 employees in the area.. they're funny about a plant closing since that's on their dime. Monday we were open and I put in a full day. They announced the Tuesday closing, so that they pay for. I'll call in on Wednesday and see what's what.

Got power here, a messy yard and about 5 sections of fence to pull down & call the insurance agent.

Rob

My family and I are fine, I didn't even loose power. Currently got some people staying with me. A couple friends that live in Central NJ lost their houses.

This is the email I got when I asked if I was to report to work...

funnyemail-1.png

needless to say I am off work for a bit...

I fared ok in South Philly. No power outages/broken windows/flooding.

Last night I got stir crazy and took a bike ride. In the Hurricane. To the protests of my friends, family and loved ones. I wore a helmet and goggles at least. The wind was incredible. Discovered that it took out the IKEA sign a few blocks away. Crazy.

Lost power from 930 last night till 630 this morning - other than some recyclables in my front yard and a messed up down spout, doing OK. According to the power company there are 115k people still without power in my county alone. Kind of crazy https://www.pplelectric.com/my-account/outage-center/outage-map.aspx - keep in mind, the power company doesn't serve every county 100%, 2 other electric companies do as well.

I made out pretty well, never lost power and only had a few small branches come down. The CT shore was pounded and was really devastated with flooding. I think there were 2 storm related deaths here, a fireman and an elderly woman who were both hit by falling trees. The pictures from our shoreline and NYC are crazy.

I have power at home, really only lost it for maybe 6 hours while we slept. Got some clean-up done yesterday, broken branches, leaves all over. Work is closed... no power to my building. I showed up, signed in and then left, should get paid in full for the day. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

One local area by the Bay, over 100 houses demolished by the storm surge. Pictures in today's paper paint a grim picture (funny how I managed to get the daily paper delivered to me even in the hurricane..).

Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn took a hard hit. 100 houses burned in Breezy Point Brooklyn, this is west of Coney Island. A very exclusive seaside community.

The Fire Island barrier beach (last stop between the mainland and ocean) has a new and possibly permanent inlet out east. Local Fire Island beaches are a total washout in many of the fields.

Again, I have it better than most and my house is open for friends to shower, get warm or stay over. My camp stove is lent out, no takers on the tent, so far.

Rob

Update: We just found out that my wife's step brother lost his entire house and while her parents' house is supposedly still standing, there will be water damage, at least. They're up staying with family in Mass. and are coming back tomorrow to see how it looks.. and apparently people have been looting what's left of the town, so they've had to bring in the National Guard.

Since the trains are still shut down and a lot of the city doesn't have power, it's been like a weird perpetual Sunday/vacation mentality here. Bars and restaurants have been packed and everyone is out walking around, hanging out, still trying to figure out how to get to work, how to get their car from under water, etc. But we're good here and I've been working crazy shifts, so in a fucked up way, it's been good.

Attached photos of the house and an aerial of the town where my in-laws live.

post-147-146168843061_thumb.jpg

post-147-146168843065_thumb.jpg

Update: We just found out that my wife's step brother lost his entire house and while her parents' house is supposedly still standing, there will be water damage, at least. They're up staying with family in Mass. and are coming back tomorrow to see how it looks.. and apparently people have been looting what's left of the town, so they've had to bring in the National Guard.

Since the trains are still shut down and a lot of the city doesn't have power, it's been like a weird perpetual Sunday/vacation mentality here. Bars and restaurants have been packed and everyone is out walking around, hanging out, still trying to figure out how to get to work, how to get their car from under water, etc. But we're good here and I've been working crazy shifts, so in a fucked up way, it's been good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8121[/ATTACH]

fuck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8121[/ATTACH]

Truly sorry about you Step-brother-in-laws house. Sadly it is a similar scene along coastal NJ. Few friends lost their houses in a similar manner, but very glad to hear they are OK otherwise.

On another note, over in Jersey it is a similar "perpetual Sunday" feel. I have not been back to work since, and everyone is just hanging out at bars/etc. I think I heard that my client's building is at least temporary condemned (South Ferry, lower Manhattan). All the NJ to NYC commuters currently cannot get to work as there is no real way into the city. Penn Station, most subways, all the tunnels, buses are all not available, and even the Lincoln and GWB have a 3+ person minimum to get through if you can brave the insanity of gridlock.

I think I heard that my client's building is at least temporary condemned (South Ferry, lower Manhattan).

Yeah, they've "condemned" Mantoloking (next town over) which I guess just means it's not habitable because there's no water, electricity. Also, Restore The Shore :: "A Crowdfunded Benefit for Hurricane SandyRelief at the Jersey Shore"

There are no words to describe, just glad i made it through and still have power to boot.

Now we have to see about getting my wifes parents out of Asbury Park, they were evac'd and it's going to be weeks before they can go home. Not good for a couple in their late 80's.

79 total hours on the clock, I'm about 20 mins north of philly, we got hit pretty hard, had a tree fall into a house and cut it in half, actually had two of those incidents occur at the same time, one was ours another about 15 mins south east of my squad's local. Not sure of the condition of the kids who were caught in the house on our call or the two who got taken out by a second tree that fell as they ran out to check on their car which had just been crushed. But it was shitty up here.

Our one building (my squad has 3 different buildings we work out of) lost power up until today, and our main building has a tree laying on the side of it inbetween our two bunk rooms, lost power too but the generator kept us up and running. Our third building was also on generator power and we could only get out through the fire dept's drive way due to another downed power line. (yeah I managed to work shifts at two of the three stations during those 79 hours. ) We still haven't gotten power back in in most of our local nor in my home town. It's slowly coming on randomly through out our county.

Thankfully we had more trees and wires down then flooding, as our local is extremely prone to floods. I hope every one else and their familys are safe.

Now to catch up on every thing Ive missed.

From one of my best friends from HS

Okay, though I truly have no words, I'm going to attempt an update. My entire apartment was destroyed, by the NY Harbor filling and ravaging it for the duration of last night. The sheer force of the water bent back the bottom half of my (metal) front door. Water pushed through my entire home throughout the night, all the way to the rafters. Ceiling: gone. Walls: in shambles. Everything I had left

inside was destroyed. Elevating my record collection, furniture, clothing, computers, hard drives, amplifiers..well, everything.. proved fruitless. I just hope that no real structural damage was done to the house, for innumerable reasons. Though I have places to stay in the interim, thanks to the amazing people in my life, I have officially been rendered homeless for the time being. I've never experienced anything so surreal. Heartbroken doesn't even come close. Be safe out there, and be good to each other.

door_zpsc528f52d.jpg

front door

bedroom_zps0aa43794.jpg

living room/records

livingroom_zpsf1ebaeaf.jpg

bedroom

kitchenrecords_zpsa8ee0b69.jpg

kitchen/more records

- - - Updated - - -

when your life is turned on its ear by natural disaster, it's always a good idea to dress up a cat in a stylish mod coat.

cat_zpsa3892f93.jpg

Holy shit. Much love and good thoughts to all of you and your friends and families who were affected by this; the continued stories of devastation are breaking my heart.

Thanks. People are starting to take on that 1000-yard-stare thing.... they must be the ones in bad shape. You can buy gas if you want to sit on a line for 3 hours. People slept in their cars at closed gas stations, still no guarantee they got gas when the morning comes. I'm okay until Wednesday or so, then I have to stay home from work if I can't feed the car... (build model cars.. drink beer.. repeat..).

100,000 local houses and businesses destroyed, not sure if those are total losses or not. Around 500,000 without power and they'll be lucky to be hanging Xmas lights in some areas. The National Guard is around to keep order. Supposedly there are tankers somewhere giving out free gas, the new 4th biggest lie....

The stores all have food, looks very normal in the supermarkets.... correction on the food thang.... just got back from buying some odds & ends to get through the weekend. Eggs... there ain't none. Selection on many items is way down. Seeing some empty spaces, this should get better in the next few days.

Rob

nyc is americas mecca.. everyone i grew up with has drawninspiration from there since day 1..your pain is our pain, god bless..

- - - Updated - - -

also, this disaster just goes to show how new yorkers are super classy.. ive heard of only one incident- where somebody pulled a gun in a gas line.. most other cities thered be so much crazy shit popping off already.. the last time you guys had black outs- you really proved coming togather and making shit happen.. im just really pissed that theyre talking about restoring electricity to newark by later this month.. people can only be so patient.. not trying to say nyc is "soft" in anyway.. was talking with a friend earlier and we chalked it up to just overall smarts and living in place where youve already seen the day to day bullshit..

dunno if its gonna hit you but we have another north easter coming in, Wednesday and Thursday their calling for snow.. just a heads up for east coast people who dont know yet.

We're thinking about buggin' out here. Got family in New England... but once we're there we may have to shovel snow....

I have heat and electric, but a big storm can change that.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

nyc is americas mecca.. everyone i grew up with has drawninspiration from there since day 1..your pain is our pain, god bless..

- - - Updated - - -

also, this disaster just goes to show how new yorkers are super classy.. ive heard of only one incident- where somebody pulled a gun in a gas line.. most other cities thered be so much crazy shit popping off already.. the last time you guys had black outs- you really proved coming togather and making shit happen.. im just really pissed that theyre talking about restoring electricity to newark by later this month.. people can only be so patient.. not trying to say nyc is "soft" in anyway.. was talking with a friend earlier and we chalked it up to just overall smarts and living in place where youve already seen the day to day bullshit..

NYC is full of some real tough people. They can endure almost anything. The problem with the power is that the sub-stations that feed everything else took on water and are heavily damaged. First thing they gotta do is bail out the hundreds of thousands gallons of water.

Rob

We live in Jersey City and were evacuated Sunday night. Still living at my fiance's father's house more inland in NJ. Our house is going on day 7 with no power. We've gone to visit it twice now to make sure everything is intact and collect clean clothes, etc. There's a huge power line down and all they've done is put some tape around the area to block of traffic and now a PSE&G worker is just chilling there in his van so no one drives by. It's pretty ridiculous and people who live in our complex are starting to lose it. Most of Jersey City and Bayonne has power now, but we've been left in the dark. Thankfully we have a place with power to stay, but hate not being able to go home. Feel bad for the people with young children and babies and senior citizens... Love the support on here though! Hang in there every one!