Hurricane Sandy

Wedge

We live in Jersey City and were evacuated Sunday night. Still living at my fiance's father's house more inland in NJ. Our house is going on day 7 with no power. We've gone to visit it twice now to make sure everything is intact and collect clean clothes, etc. There's a huge power line down and all they've done is put some tape around the area to block of traffic and now a PSE&G worker is just chilling there in his van so no one drives by. It's pretty ridiculous and people who live in our complex are starting to lose it. Most of Jersey City and Bayonne has power now, but we've been left in the dark. Thankfully we have a place with power to stay, but hate not being able to go home. Feel bad for the people with young children and babies and senior citizens... Love the support on here though! Hang in there every one!

Jerky City got whacked, over 1/2 of Hoboken is a water park. My son's GF works there, the place is submerged and probably won't reopen.

My dad (age 95..) is out in Westhampton and they all had to get out. I picked him up last Sunday and he's staying with my brother. He's doing okay, but when you take old people out of their familiarity zone, they sort of lose it.

Still no gas available and people waiting on lines outside of closed gas stations out of desperation.

Rob

Heads up for people that needed gas. No wait if you head down to exit 15 on 78

I should have bolted out of here to get gas earlier this week, but no sense in burning a 1/4 tank each way doing so if there's no guarantee they got gas when you get there.

What I am doing for the future (can't even buy a 5-gallon gas can right now...) is to have 4 5-gallon cans of gas on hand for the next hurricane of this size. I'm also looking to get a generator that runs on natural gas. I converted my house 3 years ago from oil to NG heat. My brother in law was over before, he's an electrician and says it will be a cinch to do once the gas line is run for it.

Rob

I should have bolted out of here to get gas earlier this week, but no sense in burning a 1/4 tank each way doing so if there's no guarantee they got gas when you get there.

What I am doing for the future (can't even buy a 5-gallon gas can right now...) is to have 4 5-gallon cans of gas on hand for the next hurricane of this size. I'm also looking to get a generator that runs on natural gas. I converted my house 3 years ago from oil to NG heat. My brother in law was over before, he's an electrician and says it will be a cinch to do once the gas line is run for it.

Rob

Yea I did burn up a bit of gas getting there but it was worth it. Filled my jeep up, then a bunch of cans with almost zero wait, now good for a bit. Out west a bit there is no lines and 90% of the stations are open. If I run out in a week or so I could always pick up a few cans for you and you can get them from me over in Jersey (about 10 mins from NYC). Just a thought if you are still in need in the future.

The NG generators are key. Gasoline is impossible to get whenever the powers out, plus it doesn't last long sitting around. NG or propane can sit forever without going bad, plus if you got it at home it is already there. My uncle has a inline generator and is good, (just flip a switch). You can also put an RV plug on the side of your house that backfeeds into you house from a portable propane generator. Pretty slick! My uncle is installing one on my parents house as I type this.

Yea I did burn up a bit of gas getting there but it was worth it. Filled my jeep up, then a bunch of cans with almost zero wait, now good for a bit. Out west a bit there is no lines and 90% of the stations are open. If I run out in a week or so I could always pick up a few cans for you and you can get them from me over in Jersey (about 10 mins from NYC). Just a thought if you are still in need in the future.

The NG generators are key. Gasoline is impossible to get whenever the powers out, plus it doesn't last long sitting around. NG or propane can sit forever without going bad, plus if you got it at home it is already there. My uncle has a inline generator and is good, (just flip a switch). You can also put an RV plug on the side of your house that backfeeds into you house from a portable propane generator. Pretty slick! My uncle is installing one on my parents house as I type this.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it but think things will loosen up here between today & tomorrow. I see cars parked all over... obviously out of gas while trying to find some. I took today off for a couple of appointments and will see who has gas when I'm out and about.

I looked at a bunch of generators online. There are hybrids for well under $1000 that run on gas, propane or NG. The main thing is having enough gas line volume to feed both the generator and my heat. I have an empty 40 amp slot in my breaker panel.

UPDATE.... I got gas! Waited 45 minutes and filled the car up. Now I'm gonna go wash it, looks so bad....

Rob

@Therinx aw man, any word on their house?

They live in an assisted living apartment, which is still standing, but also has no power and flooded. They were evac'd to a rehab facility in Neptune, which also has no power, still. It's going to be weeks before they can go home and we still can't get to them.

They finally, today have a little generator power rationed to them, so they have a space heater in their room. They're going a bit loopy though, having not showered in a week and still wearing the same clothes. At least they're being fed, and are physically ok. Mentally, it's been tough on them, they're starting to not make much sense on the phone.

Wife is going to try to get through today now that the train is running to Long Branch.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. Is it wrong that i was happier to see NY Adorned and Kings Ave Manhattan Facebook posts that they got power back, than my neighbors post?

We had the same problem for the Katrina old folks, with respect to huge upheaval. I'm sure at that stage of your life the whole thing can easily be viewed as an end of the world event. Disorientation and depression can easily take over without something to ground them again . . .

Yeah their talking about hitting Wednesday night into Thursday.. im not thrilled shit needs to stop hitting when im at work. Not sure how much their calling for though

The big problem that trees are weakened from the hurricane, get the ground soaked and all the ones that should have gone down last week will come down in this one. Looks nice out so far... was 24* here this morning and people with devastated houses that are living in them still.

Rob